Buying a gaming computer

Games & Technology
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Ok just from what I have read from your responses go buy one . External hd???? Thats an easy way to slow stuff down. Internal is much faster connection.

Do you know anything about how to set up the bios to get the most out of your gear? I'm guessine no.

Just go buy one if you don't you will be back on the internet asking for help. And my guess it will take you three days to install everything software etc.if this is your first build.

What if your motherboard needs a bios update to run your processor? Then what.

Just buy. If you are not interested in how computer works and it's not a hobby you will screw up.
03/21/2014 06:04 AMPosted by Blackplastic
Ok just from what I have read from your responses go buy one . External hd???? Thats an easy way to slow stuff down. Internal is much faster connection.

Do you know anything about how to set up the bios to get the most out of your gear? I'm guessine no.

Just go buy one if you don't you will be back on the internet asking for help. And my guess it will take you three days to install everything software etc.if this is your first build.

What if your motherboard needs a bios update to run your processor? Then what.

Just buy. If you are not interested in how computer works and it's not a hobby you will screw up.

<~ Owns a custom PC business.

Internal is only faster if it's a sata 6, even then it's a LCD situation. If your motherboard can only handle X speed, you're only going X speed. If your SSD can only handle a 2gb transfer -- Guess, what?? You're not using that sata 6. If your external is USB3 and CAN handle a 3-4gb transfer, IE a NAS, then you're perfectly fine and it's significantly faster.

Most people don't know how to set up a bios or OC so...Even if they do 90% of the time they blow it up, themselves -- I've had a core/week fry with users using H100's and 1 individual even using a custom loop because they thought the fans were too "loud", so they shut them off...Which is fine, more money in my pocket!

Ehh, it's always better to build...Buy once, cry once, learn once.

That's why you buy already updated hardware if you're doing it yourself.

Again -- Disagree. Are ways around every single one of your points.
760k Quad 3.8 ghz 80$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113348

~Amazing overclocking mine runs at 4.9Ghz(with noctua d-14) can oc to 4.4ghz with stock stable

Biostar A88m rev6.1/PREFERABLY rev6.2 65$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138392

~why? micro atx board Its just what I usually use. Cheap. Efficient.. and if you happen to get a 6.2 with after market cooler the 760k as listed above can OC to 5.2+ghz cause they added heatspreaders to vrams and mosfetts(but doable on your own)
Also the AMD is sticking with the Fm2+ socket most likely for the next 5 years. So thats always good

8 gb 1600 speed with 9/9/9/9/24 68 dollars http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211861

Amazing ram low cost(don't need 16 gb)

R9 270 Over clock it a bit and it becomes 270x equivalent. 199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121823

Amd is the way to go with video cards from here on. Since mantle is being used in more newer games.

Power supply get 600 Watt. Case w/e you want.

Looking at 413 With what i've listed above...
You can get a case for 25-50
600 watt you can grab for 30-50 Unless you go with like super budget like Logisys at 24. Just make sure pins are what you need for video card

500 gb harddrive with 32-64 mb cache 7200 speed you can get for 50 bucks So essentially all said and done you are looking at around 553.
03/20/2014 07:07 PMPosted by DTMAce
Yep, I agree, i7's are overkill in many ways. I have an i7 laptop and an i5 desktop, and I can't tell the difference, personally I think the desktop fairs better, but it has a higher clock speed. lol

I look at Intel as higher priced, but better power to speed ratio it seems to me.

AMD stuff seems to have a lower price point on same points per package, (ie speed, cache, cores, etc), but I have often found them a bit lacking in some builds. But they are great for those that are pinching the budget, cause you can build a nice performance AMD machine for less cost than the Intel.

Besides the fact that i7's are horrible for gaming 9 times outa10
Alot of games see hyperthreading and they are like... No.
03/20/2014 08:56 PMPosted by DTMAce
03/20/2014 07:26 PMPosted by DamageInc

I had a 560ti once that would give the famous " display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"...do I bash Nvidia and swear them off? Of course not. Stupid...kinda like your take on AMD.
Both red and green team have had their share of rough patches over the years. Untill the bitcoin mining craze inflated AMD gpu prices, they were the best buy.

Actually I had the 550TI myself, same issue. Finally was fixed with a later driver thank goodness. Still using that card, works great now. Lappy uses a 555m version. But as usual, laptops just don't fall into quite the same place as a desktop can. lol

Ofc they can't they are drawing from 90Watt Vs a full sized desktop running 500-800 watts...
Which is why I think its funny when people buy 2000$ Sli Gaming laptops to run games !@#$tily, and they don't even EVER take it anywhere just use it as a desktop
03/21/2014 01:19 AMPosted by Dyslexia
03/20/2014 06:54 PMPosted by DTMAce
I just put together a quote for my brother. 900 bucks, and its a pretty stout setup for the bucks.

i5 Haswell 4430 85W, Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H, 16GB DDR3 1600, 500GB WD Black, Blu-Ray combo drive, nVidia GTX 660 2GB 192Bit, 7 Home 64, Corsair PSU CX500W. Will get the job done.

AMD has a lower price point per feature, but I have always felt the best performance was with intel. I have built plenty of both. Have a couple of the quad core AMDs around here. But have never been as happy with them. Anyway.

I build computers for a living, so I like to think I have a fair hand at it. But that's my opinion.

No you don't and if you did, i wouldn't recommend you to anyone with those terrible part choices

Care to elaborate?

I build systems all the time. Mine last for 5-8 years. What is your issue with my part list?
You OWN a pc business and you are telli.g him to build lol.

Sure man I'm sure you own a pc business .... If you did you would have suggested your business to build one.

Get real. Replying to masked
Checkout the latest Recommended Builds from Maximum PC Magazine. It's a magazine devoted to high performance PCs and about once a month they put together their recommendations for the components to put into high-performance PCs at 4 different price levels starting with their budget ($850) model. They are a highly respected source of information. Here's a link to their latest recommendations. Read It! at least for ideas.

http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_february_2014
PC Mag lists this budget I-BuyPower as an Editor's choice among their favorite 10 Best PCs:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425551,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372609,00.asp
03/21/2014 08:03 AMPosted by Blackplastic
You OWN a pc business and you are telli.g him to build lol.

Sure man I'm sure you own a pc business .... If you did you would have suggested your business to build one.

Get real. Replying to masked

*sigh* ~ You're clearly not an enthusiast.

I own a custom pc company that specializes in custom builds and network design/installs...My custom builds run well beyond his budget...So, to build him a PC would quite frankly and no offense to him but, it's not worth my time.

I also encourage enthusiasts and amateurs to build their own PC's because it helps us all...Experience often begets ignorance, except clearly in your case where-in it thrives.

Both Ibuypower and Cyberpower are good vendors...But, do it yourself, get some knowledge and expand your repertoire.

That being said, Hawkeye's suggestions are excellent...Only at this point in time I'd do a Revolt in either a 600D or a 730T, that way you leave room for an H80 or a custom WC build if you decide to do that in the future...

If you need help sourcing parts, let me know.
I would really not advise someone on a limited budget/in need of a new PC to try and build his own PC. Reason being - if he fouls up, then he has no PC.

I love the idea of building my own PC, but after doing it 3x and none of them being entirely smooth, I would rather leave it to the professionals.

$800 is cutting it tight for a gaming PC. You can build something okay, but if I was in the OPs shoes I would tighten my belt for a few months, save up another K or so and buy a 780ti rig after the 800s come out and push the price down a bit.
03/21/2014 07:38 AMPosted by DTMAce
03/21/2014 01:19 AMPosted by Dyslexia

No you don't and if you did, i wouldn't recommend you to anyone with those terrible part choices

Care to elaborate?

I build systems all the time. Mine last for 5-8 years. What is your issue with my part list?

well.... i was thinking the same thing when i read it :)

CPU... OK
MOBO... don't put a good CPU on a cheap mobo... your CPU will hate you for it. a general rule is the mobo should cost about half the price the CPU does. cheap models have cheap components on it.
RAM... 16GB is overkill.. everything above 8GB is overkill for gaming... i even think 6GB is enough
Blu-Ray... is there actually someone who needs this? :) overpriced and not needed by most of the people... i don't even remember when i last put a CD/DVD in my DVD drive. get a blu-ray if you really need it
660GTX .... 6XX series was introduced in early 2012... 2 years old..you have to consider this...why would you buy a 2 year old graphic card if it's probably the most important piece of hardware for gaming. it may be good for today.... but in 2 years you won't be running games on it any more. i would go for 760GTX
HDD... i've been running my PC on SSD for more than 4 years now and would never ever EVER consider a HDD as an OS/games drive anymore. it's like comparing a rocker to a bicycle in terms of speed. Samsung SSD's are cheap, reliable, insanely fast. 840 PRO/EVO are excellent drives. SSD's should be considered a must have for every new computer.
PSU.... ok

so you chose a good CPU and PSU... everything else is cheap/outdated/overkill/slow
:)

for the same money you can get a much better PC
Reviews tend to say that people have trouble with ibuypower. Just a heads up as I decided not to go with them because of that
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
03/20/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Paragon
I am thinking of buying a gaming computer mainly to play Diablo 3 but other pc games as well such as Skyrim and so on.

Please DO NOT tell me not to buy D3, I already have it.

Can I tell you not to buy Skyrim? :P
03/21/2014 11:01 AMPosted by DragonSyn
03/20/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Paragon
I am thinking of buying a gaming computer mainly to play Diablo 3 but other pc games as well such as Skyrim and so on.

Please DO NOT tell me not to buy D3, I already have it.

Can I tell you not to buy Skyrim? :P

Yes you may, but I shall laugh mercilessly over your dead corpse... I once took an arrow to the knee but I shall smite thee nonetheless

Edit: Alright I know I should probably get a SSD but I know I should get a 1TB hard drive as well. Could I just use the SSD for the time as my main and then later on just install a secondary drive? Then just delete and move nonessentials off SSD and onto 1TB hard drive?
03/21/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Delta

Care to elaborate?

well.... i was thinking the same thing when i read it :)

CPU... OK
MOBO... don't put a good CPU on a cheap mobo... your CPU will hate you for it. a general rule is the mobo should cost about half the price the CPU does. cheap models have cheap components on it.
RAM... 16GB is overkill.. everything above 8GB is overkill for gaming... i even think 6GB is enough
Blu-Ray... is there actually someone who needs this? :) overpriced and not needed by most of the people... i don't even remember when i last put a CD/DVD in my DVD drive. get a blu-ray if you really need it
660GTX .... 6XX series was introduced in early 2012... 2 years old..you have to consider this...why would you buy a 2 year old graphic card if it's probably the most important piece of hardware for gaming. it may be good for today.... but in 2 years you won't be running games on it any more. i would go for 760GTX
HDD... i've been running my PC on SSD for more than 4 years now and would never ever EVER consider a HDD as an OS/games drive anymore. it's like comparing a rocker to a bicycle in terms of speed. Samsung SSD's are cheap, reliable, insanely fast. 840 PRO/EVO are excellent drives. SSD's should be considered a must have for every new computer.
PSU.... ok

so you chose a good CPU and PSU... everything else is cheap/outdated/overkill/slow
:)

for the same money you can get a much better PC

Let me also come back to this.

Mobo. That is NOT a bottom cheap board. It actually is just about half the CPU cost, to be fair if you are looking at it that way.

16GB is not overkill. Want to hear something funny? 16MB was once thought to be overkill.

With this particular build, its hooked to a TV. And he wants a Blu-Ray combo. Wow, it costs a whole extra 10 bucks over a plain DVD burner. Going to really break the budget.

Yes, the 660 was introduced a couple years ago. Big deal. Here is the cool part. Number 1. Card is still a new card recently built not 2 years old on a shelf (just older design yes). 2. It will still run a huge majority of games perfectly fine. 3. Price point. For someone on a budget, it will do fine.

HDD. Again, this is mostly pointed at due to pricing. If you are on a BUDGET, this is what you buy. I can tell you from experience selling systems, most people don't CARE what drive it has, as long as it doesn't hurt their pocketbook. If I can buy a 1TB for 60-70 bucks vs maybe 120GB for 80-100, what do you think people will want? Think about it. So in this case, for this build its perfectly fine.

Here is what I think the issue is.

I build computers that last. I don't build the highest and the latest, because they are several issues there. Things being less likely to work together, (compatibility issues, etc) cost is a big part of that.

Most of the systems I build last my customers 5-8 years on the average with minimal issues. I build using stable and tried/tested components. That makes a huge difference on reliability.

Just because my idea of what makes a good budget build doesn't mold into yours, doesn't mean I'm that far off the mark here.

If I build the system with stuff you are talking suddenly the OP is way over his posted budget, not at it.

Not sure why I bothered with replying, I keep forgetting this is one of the worst community forums I have ever been a part of.

To the original poster of this thread.

Take everyone's comments including mine with a grain or few of salt. You need to form your own opinion, as for everyone that says do it one way, there are just as many to say that sucks or to do it another.

But honestly, good luck with this.
Do I really need an SSD or would a 2TB Hard drive be just fine? I just don't want insane load times like I am finding in D3 right now. It can take me anywhere from 10-30 seconds to move from one area to another by teleport or even changing rooms or loading games.
03/21/2014 02:52 PMPosted by Paragon
Do I really need an SSD or would a 2TB Hard drive be just fine? I just don't want insane load times like I am finding in D3 right now. It can take me anywhere from 10-30 seconds to move from one area to another by teleport or even changing rooms or loading games.

That will be less on a newer box with new hardware. But yeah, you can still see this, even on a brand new build.

Keep in mind, the issue is how the game is using the system. Switching to a faster drive only masks/hides the issue, it is not a solution, just a work around.

At the time I didn't see a need to jump to an SSD for my main drive. Instead, I spent 30 bucks or so and bought a high speed 32GB USB 3.0 memory stick. THAT also masks the issue just fine, and the game is running right from this stick. I can start up and jump right into a multiplayer game and no load lag at all. But I know the game is still flawed with how its setup to access the drive all the time.

So its totally up to you. You can always upgrade to an SSD later too.
Essentially I am using it for a few games and have iTunes running in the background. That's all I'll be doing for the time being. I don't plan on using it for much more than that, such as ProTools and stuff like that.

I figure a 1 or 2TB HDD should be just fine. I'm just really tired of running games on the lowest possible settings with large load times. I understand internet is a factor as well, but it's ridiculous right now.