Rifts have 10 levels ?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
03/28/2014 10:46 AMPosted by Morbrew1
There is a portal post at the end of most rifts, if not they just end with no further port to next level. When you get to that point, you know it is cleared.

Some rifts have a treasure pygmy farm if you keep going past the guardian.

ooo really? Hopefully that's true, that's definitely a reason to keep going.
If the rift had good density, I always continue after the guardian. There are a few rifts that are painfully low in density... I HATE those.

Last night I was doing a rift and at the very end of the lowest level, there was the pylon to go back to town and just to the left of that was like 12 Treasure Goblins having a meeting... treasure fest!

I would have never found them if I quit after the guardian.
Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, and can have somewhere between 1 and 10 levels. Sometimes you'll encounter the Rift Guardian early on, but you can continue to clear out the rest of it if you want. You never know what you'll encounter in a rift, so it can be fun to clear them out sometimes. However, there's currently only one Rift Guardian per rift. Here's a quote that might help from the First Look: Adventure Mode blog that we published talking about how much randomization goes into a Rift.

First off, it means that Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, featuring different content from Acts I-V—random interior and exterior tile sets, random layouts, random lighting and weather, random monsters, and (of course) a random boss encounter to cap it all off. Each Nephalem Rift dungeon can be up to 10 levels deep, but even that's random too!
03/28/2014 11:12 AMPosted by Fuzzbear
If the rift had good density, I always continue after the guardian. There are a few rifts that are painfully low in density... I HATE those.

I haven't been to one that has good mob density, I guess I must be really unlucky. There was one last night that had nothing to kill/break/smash; corridors after corridors I was running around laughing my !@# off, it was just pathetic.
03/28/2014 02:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, and can have somewhere between 1 and 10 levels. Sometimes you'll encounter the Rift Guardian early on, but you can continue to clear out the rest of it if you want. You never know what you'll encounter in a rift, so it can be fun to clear them out sometimes. However, there's currently only one Rift Guardian per rift. Here's a quote that might help from the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11516518/reaper-of-souls%E2%84%A2-first-look-adventure-mode-11-8-2013"]First Look: Adventure Mode[/url] blog that we published talking about how much randomization goes into a Rift.

[quote]First off, it means that Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, featuring different content from Acts I-V—random interior and exterior tile sets, random layouts, random lighting and weather, random monsters, and (of course) a random boss encounter to cap it all off. Each Nephalem Rift dungeon can be up to 10 levels deep, but even that's random too!

That's all cool, we don't have to know what's in it, just there is enough mobs, as of now, many of them don't have enough monster per area, the density is painfully low.
I always clear to the bottom level. Not sure why, mostly because Rifts are hella fun, better than doing Bounties (IMHO). Also I've seen some levels that are JAMMED with elites. On some of these levels you can't even move without pulling MULTIPLE packs. They are really fun, and I don't want to miss one of these levels, and I have seen them after the Rift boss.
when your rift has low density then expect more levels.. and vice versa..
03/28/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Rognar
03/28/2014 02:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, and can have somewhere between 1 and 10 levels. Sometimes you'll encounter the Rift Guardian early on, but you can continue to clear out the rest of it if you want. You never know what you'll encounter in a rift, so it can be fun to clear them out sometimes. However, there's currently only one Rift Guardian per rift. Here's a quote that might help from the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11516518/reaper-of-souls%E2%84%A2-first-look-adventure-mode-11-8-2013"]First Look: Adventure Mode[/url] blog that we published talking about how much randomization goes into a Rift.

[quote]First off, it means that Nephalem Rifts are completely randomized, featuring different content from Acts I-V—random interior and exterior tile sets, random layouts, random lighting and weather, random monsters, and (of course) a random boss encounter to cap it all off. Each Nephalem Rift dungeon can be up to 10 levels deep, but even that's random too!

That's all cool, we don't have to know what's in it, just there is enough mobs, as of now, many of them don't have enough monster per area, the density is painfully low.

RNG, unfortunately. I've run in to both types - one where my Phalanx ran through my target and veered off into three more packs, causing us to end that Rift run, and others with endless desert with nary a wasp to be found.
I think every level should have a Rift guardian or some kind of boss, it would give us incentive to clear all the way to the end.
03/28/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Rognar

The rifts are fully randomized. That includes density. I've had near wall to wall mobs in some. In others just a few clusters of 1-shot trash mobs. I like this, because I want to be surprised each time I do a rift. The more variation the better, even if there's an occasional level or two that are a snooze.

Rifts are by far the best thing added to this game since Launch, and I find it silly to be complaining about them (Constructive criticism is fine, but complaining about something so awesome is very silly).

My fave 2 Rift Experiences so far:

1) Midnight Fields of Misery Variation.
It was Pitch black! We could hear mobs before we could see them. There was literally no light on the entire map with the exception of a very dim light radius about 12yards around our heroes.
We had to stick to the perimeter of the map or it was completely disorienting.
Enemies were in attack range before we saw them. This would have been utterly terrifying on Hardcore.
The map ended up being based on a Fields of Misery shape/textures, but if FoM were tilted at an angle, a little narrower, and bent like half a macaroni noodle.

2) Cursed Hold Rectangle x 100 Football Fields
Map texture and layout was similar to Cursed Hold (where you free Queen Assyla's people's spirits and then fight the Warden at the dungeon's center). Only it wasn't divided into left half/right half with a crossroads in the middle. It was one giant rectangle filled with winding jail cells and hallways. If I had to guess I would say it was 20 - 30 times larger than Cursed Hold in campaign.
Elite density was crazy as well. We were often fighting 2 packs at once, or would defeat one pack then immediately encounter another.
03/28/2014 03:27 PMPosted by WhatsUpChuck
2) Cursed Hold Rectangle x 100 Football FieldsMap texture and layout was similar to Cursed Hold (where you free Queen Assyla's people's spirits and then fight the Warden at the dungeon's center). Only it wasn't divided into left half/right half with a crossroads in the middle. It was one giant rectangle filled with winding jail cells and hallways. If I had to guess I would say it was 20 - 30 times larger than Cursed Hold in campaign.Elite density was crazy as well. We were often fighting 2 packs at once, or would defeat one pack then immediately encounter another.

I got that map once in beta, and it contained several groups or a dozen or so goblins along with a bunch of Elites. It was a real hoot to try and kill gob's while dodging / attacking Elites all the time. I ended up with a plan and a couple legs as well if memory serves.

Just as I finished the last group of E' and Gob's I found a Conduit Pylon. Oh, what could have been if I'd only seen it sooner...

http://postimg.org/image/jba0ssb8v/
03/28/2014 10:41 AMPosted by Lim3y
but why would you keep grinding instead of starting a new rift?

Because some levels have many as 10 to 20!!!! elite packs all jammed into it. So it's worth the effort to keep exploring until the end level. I have got as many as 6 leg's from one Rift run.
03/28/2014 11:03 AMPosted by MrWarglaive
[quote]it would literally take blizz 2 seconds to spoon-feed me everything always and remove all exploration and discovery from a dungeon crawl platform...
Yep problem ? and what do u mean remove all exploration from a dungeon ?? i never once mentioned anything about removing anything especially not the exploration part...... read the thread properly before you comment....... ur abit thick arent you i can tell.
03/28/2014 03:27 PMPosted by WhatsUpChuck
The rifts are fully randomized. That includes density. I've had near wall to wall mobs in some. In others just a few clusters of 1-shot trash mobs. I like this, because I want to be surprised each time I do a rift. The more variation the better, even if there's an occasional level or two that are a snooze.

I agree with this, if we just pump everything full of monsters, we'll just get used to it and it will become the new normal. Having highs and lows makes the game more interesting.

03/28/2014 02:37 PMPosted by Zaruen
after you kill the guardianm the map is almost always still explorable.. does that never catch your curiosity?

My one friend said he was doing a Rift and found like 10 Treasure Goblins in one spot...yeah I'll be exploring these entirely now.
03/28/2014 02:37 PMPosted by Zaruen
after you kill the guardianm the map is almost always still explorable.. does that never catch your curiosity?
Er yes which ive done many times but wait for it.......i didnt know about the other levels !!! god damn why are people so stupid in this forum.
03/28/2014 10:41 AMPosted by Lim3y
but why would you keep grinding instead of starting a new rift?

Why not? Rifts with multiple levels like that tend to have elites and gob rooms swarming..your RNG might not be as good for the next rift.

Conclusion: Explore, like Diablo was meant to be.
03/28/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Connatic
My one friend said he was doing a Rift and found like 10 Treasure Goblins in one spot...yeah I'll be exploring these entirely now.

Well, the chance of Goblin-Rooms seems to be extremely small, so it's questionable if it's really worth it, because Adventure Mode gives a lot of additional EXP, Lootbags, Shards and Fragments at a constant rate. A Goblin-Room might give you a nice boost, but I think overall Adventure Mode is a bit ahead of clearing rifts after the guardian is killed.

...but of course that's 1.) speculation and 2.) a view centered purely on efficiency.

/edit: Although I have to agree that you'll probably farm a lot more elitepacks in rifts than you do in Adventure Mode, partly because the Bounties are often times either Named Mobs or Treasure Chests/Shrines.
I got a single level rift last night and it had the sickest mob and elite density I've ever seen. Seriously, the moment I got in three packs were already beating on me and hundreds of those astral archers were firing at me at the same time lol....my gear is totally capable of doing T3 but I died 3 times clearing that level. The most intense moment in farming ever.