Why is the prefix trans- banned?

General Discussion
1 2 3 25 Next
Petition to help change this found HERE: http://www.change.org/petitions/blizzard-entertainment-uncensor-the-prefix-trans-from-diablo-iii-clan-making

I sent in a ticket about this and was told to open something on the forums as the discussion about this. This is the ticket I sent in as I feel it best sums up why trans as a prefix needs to be unbanned as it is unfair to the community.

Hello!

I am contacting you in regards to creating clans in the newest Diablo III patch. I am trying to make a clan for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals who would like to play the game together in a relatively safe space of like identified individuals. However, I have come to find out that the prefix trans is banned in clan creation! I understand this is to prevent people from creating offensive clans, but it is doing just the opposite. You allow the word gay as a prefix for clans, as there is a Gaymers clan, yet do not allow the same for transgender individuals. In fact, this forbids words such as transdimensional and so forth. The word gay has much more room for offensive and harmful clan names than trans does and deletes the possibility of safe spaces for transgender people to get together and enjoy your games. This creates a harmful environment for people like myself who wish you play your game and know that I will be a respected member of my clan, regardless of my gender identity, presentation, how my voice sounds over Vent/Skype, and so on. This sends a message that gay people are allowed to create their own clans and freely interact on your servers, but trans people are not. Please reconsider your ban of the prefix trans- and thus banning all transgender related clans and groups.

Thank you for your time.

Banning the prefix trans while allowing the word gay sends a message. You can be an openly gay gamer, but you cannot be openly trans. They allow for clans to be created around being gay, such as the Gaymers clan, but will not allow a similar TransGamers clan (which is what was trying to be created). This creates an environment that allows for people to be openly gay, but not openly trans, and requires people to create codewords, and in community buzzwords to create a similar clan for a similar experience, gaming with people who share the same identity and will respect you for who you are. Blizzard is sending a very poor message to the trans gaming community by not allowing people to create safe clan experiences for themselves while allowing others to do that with words which can be used in a much more harmful sense (such as gay).

I created a change.org petition for those in support to share around for those who do not wish to engage in the transphobia being shown in this thread, who cannot or do not want to participate in the thread and so on: http://www.change.org/petitions/blizzard-entertainment-uncensor-the-prefix-trans-from-diablo-iii-clan-making
I am an openly straight gamer who doesn't give a crap what's between your legs or what you care do do with it.
The women in the army are "up in arms" about discriminatory hair cut restrictions. Know what you do to fix that? Buzz cuts for everyone, no exceptions.

Apply that logic to this situations and only give people 7 letters to choose from, R S T L N E and Y
04/02/2014 05:03 PMPosted by Gaaarr
I am an openly straight gamer

Since when are people "openly straight"? Is there reason to feel ashamed of being hetro?
id like to point out on this same note... why is it we have a blacksmith and no whitesmith? sounds pretty racist to me. ( World of Warcraft has a race called worgen. spell it backwards and you get negrow. anyone else find this racist also? keep in mind that the race has been around for a while now.)

all this post has done, in reality, is force blizzards hand to ban the "gaymers" clan name and anger everyone who is a member of said clan. look we get it your not happy because you could not make a clan name you wanted. its enough to disgruntle anyone, but why so petty bro? I did not realize this game was all about YOU and YOUR needs. The game developers have a reason for doing things they way they do. maybe Activision has an issue with some words and not others? all makes sense to me.

on a non rant note basically if you don't like certain things either avoid/ignore it or the door is that way bro ----->
Gaarr,
Good for you but that isn't what this is about. At all.
04/02/2014 05:21 PMPosted by Brad
04/02/2014 05:03 PMPosted by Gaaarr
I am an openly straight gamer

Since when are people "openly straight"? Is there reason to feel ashamed of being hetro?

Is there a reason to feel ashamed of being !@#$sexual or any other kind of sexual?

lolfilter
04/02/2014 05:24 PMPosted by tangmcgame
04/02/2014 05:21 PMPosted by Brad

Is there a reason to feel ashamed of being !@#$sexual or any other kind of sexual?

lolfilter

I had to edit my post 3 times lol. It wouldn't let me say it. There's no reason to feel sesually attracted to a human being. If you are sesually attracted to anything else, well there's something wrong.
id like to point out on this same note... why is it we have a blacksmith and no whitesmith? sounds pretty racist to me.

all this post has done, in reality, is force blizzards hand to ban the "gaymers" clan name and anger everyone who is a member of said clan. look we get it your not happy because you could not make a clan name you wanted. its enough to disgruntle anyone, but why so petty bro? I did not realize this game was all about YOU and YOUR needs. The game developers have a reason for doing things they way they do. maybe Activision has an issue with some words and not others? all makes sense to me.

on a non rant note basically if you don't like certain things either avoid/ignore it or the door is that way bro ----->

Strawman arguments. No, I am not asking that they ban the gaymers clan. I am asking that that realize that banning trans- has done nothing but hurt the community. Trans- is also an extremely common prefix in the English language (http://www.morewords.com/starts-with/trans/).
What the !@#$ is wrong with all of you? Like, yall hate trans people that much?
I'm for this change. It's not protecting anyone and thus doesnt have a place.
I'm curious as why people would be against the lessening of the word filter so many people dislike how strict it is. It is simply allowing one prefix, that will help a marginalized group of gamers feel that they can create safer environments that they can play in, which is clearly being shown as needed with the responses to this post. It would literally affect NOTHING in the game besides allowing people to create trans- related clans whether they be transgender or transdimensional. The amount of hostility being shown is baffling to me as it would not affect many of you posting in this thread and you seem so personally offended that there may be transgender people who play this game and would like to play with other transgender folk.
04/02/2014 05:11 PMPosted by Moondoggie
wtf. next people will be !@#$%ing that blizzard discriminates against people with a bestiality orientation cause they wont let them name their clan DogsDoggyStyle.

Comparing that situation with this example is insane.

04/02/2014 05:24 PMPosted by magiofchaos
id like to point out on this same note... why is it we have a blacksmith and no whitesmith? sounds pretty racist to me. ( World of Warcraft has a race called worgen. spell it backwards and you get negrow. anyone else find this racist also? keep in mind that the race has been around for a while now.)

Because there's literally no reason to ban the prefix 'trans'. What if the clan was called, for example, transylvania? Totally stupid example I know, but still. There's no logic to it.

Trans person here, +1 to unbanning this prefix
04/02/2014 05:39 PMPosted by Kakesu
What the !@#$ is wrong with all of you? Like, yall hate trans people that much?

Erma... what?
Yeah, there have been some weird restrictions in naming. I'd be for allowing it and to be honest I'm surprised it is restricted.
Diablo is a Mature rated game, as is every other Blizzard game. Censorship is also one of the most subtle forms of oppression, and also one of the most effective. Though blizzard has some kind of right to censor and violate rights of those playing their games while they're playing them, it does say quite a bit about their character.

Why not everyone just act like adults and Blizzard stop deciding what we can and can't say, and what we can and can't represent ourselves as? Who exactly are you protecting by censoring, Blizzard?

If you get butthurt over something someone else says, you deserve to get butthurt.