no change to DOT fishing with current patch

Witch Doctor
;(
;(
:(
if they actually change the dots so that they tick with chance of crits then it would actually be a nerf than what ur expecting. As of right now, u either dot with a crit or not and the rest of the ticks follow off that first one. Jade set would be nerfed. Not horribly but still nerfed cuz now u have variance in the ticks. Just food for thought.
I don't have jades set, I want to be able to throw dots effectively without it. Also for each cast you are looking for a crit you are not throwing other damaging spells like spirit barage
I don't have jades set, I want to be able to throw dots effectively without it. Also for each cast you are looking for a crit you are not throwing other damaging spells like spirit barage
...what patch exactly!? Oo
05/13/2014 04:14 AMPosted by Ic4RuS
...what patch exactly!? Oo

http://www.diablofans.com/news/48064-datamined-patch-2-0-5-class-changes-and-strings
What people don't realise is that when farming T6 those mobs hit quite hard and you actually have to be in amongst them when blowing em up .

Whereas a pet user while not doing as much dmg only 15 million per hit from pets x 20 fetish which is about 300 million damage . But doesn't need to put ones self in danger , basically hide behind wall of zombies or something .
05/13/2014 05:12 AMPosted by Grailer
What people don't realise is that when farming T6 those mobs hit quite hard and you actually have to be in amongst them when blowing em up .

Whereas a pet user while not doing as much dmg only 15 million per hit from pets x 20 fetish which is about 300 million damage . But doesn't need to put ones self in danger , basically hide behind wall of zombies or something .

Wait, I thought max pets spawned is 12? pets do far more damage than that, don't forget garg, he can do absurd amount of damage. The damage may seem low but how fast they attack is what gives them the cutting edge. W/ jade you mess up your crit, you will still do absurd damage but it isn't maximized. Pet docs are in the same boat as jade where they are vulnerable. Other than that I see no real reason to tinker with dots. Leave them as is because if you buff up, jade will just be overkill, if you dim down DoT's will be left in the dust.
05/13/2014 06:01 AMPosted by avila
05/13/2014 05:12 AMPosted by Grailer

Wait, I thought max pets spawned is 12? pets do far more damage than that, don't forget garg, he can do absurd amount of damage. The damage may seem low but how fast they attack is what gives them the cutting edge. W/ jade you mess up your crit, you will still do absurd damage but it isn't maximized. Pet docs are in the same boat as jade where they are vulnerable. Other than that I see no real reason to tinker with dots. Leave them as is because if you buff up, jade will just be overkill, if you dim down DoT's will be left in the dust.

Sycophants can get way up there. I think the most I've had was 26 total FA + Sycophants. Sycophants don't benefit from elemental damage changes from FA runes, so you'd have to be Physical specced to get them to crit that hard, but my fire FAs crit elites for 20-23m. Very very seldomly do you ever get 20 fetishes though.
Good.

"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Diablo and old wisdom align.
I'm tired of applying DoTs...waiting to see if it crit....applying second DoT...oh wait, it didn't crit, let's try again....there we go! DoTs are rolling! Oh wait, boss is almost dead because rest of group popped cooldowns and didn't have to wait around fishing for crits.
Haunt and Locust Swarm are being changed to make the damage more consistent. The difference between getting a Critical Hit or not made these abilities too unpredictable. This is particularly important when the player has the option of reapplying the Damage over Time effect.

Rather than rolling for a Critical Hit, Haunt will now calculate an average damage augmented by your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage on application and apply that damage evenly over the duration of the entire DoT

Rather than rolling for a Critical Hit, Locust Swarm will now calculate an average damage augmented by your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage on application and apply that damage evenly over the duration of the entire DoT

From the official patch note:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/48065-patch-2-0-5-now-live-official-patch-notes
They actually fixed the dots, but that fix was not present in the datamined notes, only in the official ones.
Hurray for the DoT fix!
Kind of feels underwhelming even if the math is right.
You guys do realize that the damage was nerfed, but it's now more convenient as we don't have to recast our DoTs. They will do the same damage all the time with the same equipment.
Yeah, thanks, guys. You really !@#$ed yourself with these whining calls.
ugh, this is a terrible change. Keep everything else but roll this one back
If you want to know the reduction of damage of an average dot compared to a crit one, it should go like:

R = (100 + (CHD/100 - 1) * CHC) / CHD

where the critical hit damage (CHD) and the critical hit chance (CHC) are given in percent. The percentage of damage lost is given by F = (1 - R) * 100

In my case, I only lose something like 30% compared to a guarantied crit. Nothing dramatic, I am actually quite happy about this change. Overall, my clearing time should be superior, although on boss I will deal approximately 30% less damage.
Would personally have preferred a crit check on each individual tick, though I much prefer this new mechanic to the old "binary crit" crap we had pre-2.05. And checking for a crit every 12 animation frames (like Area Damage does) might have created even more lag than we already run into regularly.