Increasingly poor performance from Diablo

Technical Support
Why has the game just regressed to such a level of poor performance and slow downs?

Many of us have the strange stuttering issue despite being on performance and top-notch PC's. The consensus has been it's just an engine that has some kinks in it.

Since the release of RoS, more issues. Any time a Battle.net friend signs on or when I open my inventory the game halts for a second or two completely. In multiplayer games it's even worse. Other events cause this too. Sometimes it's several seconds before it's back. Also, loot drops and it's not displayed for several seconds.

The game is really noticeably slower since RoS. Static computer setup, on good PC's.

Why do we still get issues like these given there are regular maintenance windows... It's getting quite silly
It's just a poor game core that relies too heavily on a server based center. Normally a game let's people's computers handle the individual legwork while the server is just a co-op center that keeps everyone's individual machines on track, basically just a central hub. Blizzard got some stupid !@#$in idea they would beat hackers by centering all game processing information on their own servers and clients would be mere pawns feeding off it. Needless to say it was a complete failure as every single hiccup of the internet is felt from the server since the game on your computer has no mind of itself.
The concept itself is fine if you are running a small internal network with easy debugging and direct wiring, likely how they tested it, but on the internet the ball was completely dropped, just bad decisions following one another. To make it worse they still deny it's an issue, so good luck.
Tarkus,

These two issues will be addressed in an upcoming patch. I'm afraid though that I don't yet have an ETA for the patch it's going to be in.

Well it's been going on since ROS launched so I think it's fair to say it's been long enough. This blue post is the closest thing I have yet to see as far as information on this problem.....
Hey at least it is something!
05/06/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Omrakos
Tarkus,

These two issues will be addressed in an upcoming patch. I'm afraid though that I don't yet have an ETA for the patch it's going to be in.

What are the two specific issues?
BUMP
The two issues I was referring to are:

"Any time a Battle.net friend signs on or when I open my inventory the game halts for a second or two completely. In multiplayer games it's even worse. Other events cause this too. Sometimes it's several seconds before it's back."

"Also, loot drops and it's not displayed for several seconds"

Yeah thats very interesting. What about the myriad of other performance issues...

Lag on rakkis crossing that has never been officially addressed.

The vertical sync being buggy...and drops fps while still displaying that "60"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882748403?page=1

That is a 23 page thread with people saying this game runs like crap. Do I really have to dig up others?

I am sorry...on high end and low end systems alike...this game performs like crap man. Why not address..AND THEN FIX IT??

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12506570848

What about this poor guy and his fps problems on his gtx 780 ti...which is the same card I am using? You have ignored him over a month. The 23 page thread has been ignored for 2 months.

What gives?? All the evidence you need to see our problems...people have posted logs...error logs...system information...

Is this another pass the buck type thing? Like call your ISP for our problems? Avoiding responsibility?

Let me let you in on a secret. I do not like being here in the technical forums. I only come hoping...praying that these performance issues would be resolved. Obviously the time frame for being in a "timely and orderly fashion" has past. What in the hell is the problem here?

Do your job bro...address all problems...fix problems..and get me the hell out of here. Other people are in the same boat as me and we have long lost patience............
@Cheezus The problem is not everyone is experiencing issues and the problems out there are wildly different.

I for example have a high end machine and normally always over 100fps but occasionally stutter and have issues but only on specific maps and only when there is a lot of stuff going on. Read through those threads you posted so many different issues.

But I think the bigger issue with you though is this sense that they are twisting their mustaches, counting your money and laughing at your posts.
That is exactly my point. The are being deliberately obtuse about a myriad of performance issues....

This is not a paranoid delusion...they actually are ignoring those threads that I posted. They actively are trying there best to ignore certain problems by pretending they are not there.

It is like a 3 year old throwing their hands over there ears screaming "LALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALALALALNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO"

I am sorry but it is unprofessional and appalling for a multi-million dollar company to be doing this. I have been observing very closely b/c I am here hoping...praying for results.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882748403?page=1 23 page thread ignored

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12506570848 this poor guy has been posting for over a month trying to get his problems resolved..and nothing.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11883008547 one of many rakkis crossing threads. I could probably bring up 200 of these.

Just put in "performance" in the above search box. Look at all those threads. Now look how many blue post there are. That my friend is definitive evidence. They know about it..but are refusing to acknowledge.
lol...almost seems like you was trolled.
You people seem to think that if CMs were not occasionally having fun with the community that they would be replying to YOUR post. Such a toxic community here in D3. Just cause YOUR specific problem hasn't been addressed does NOT mean some tech guy somewhere is not looking into it. This is obvious as is the fact that there are so many different kinds of rigs out there as to make isolating problems very difficult.

Are you new to the pc gaming world? Do you think this is easy or here in this game it is unique?

It is frustrating when YOUR hardware has issues but to make the accusations you are making is just silly. When the majority can run something that YOU can't don't throw a tantrum.

Most of us run D3 just fine. My sympathies for the polite people trying to trouble shoot their problems, my disdain for those that think Blizzard employees are lazy shirking no good careless people, because it is just obviously not true.
05/07/2014 10:36 PMPosted by Corbae
It is frustrating when YOUR hardware has issues
If only we'd have some unified API for hardware so game developers could stop thinking about gazillion of videocards and CPUs.

Oh wait, we are not in the 90's anymore, we have OpenGL, DirectX, OpenAL and tons of other useful stuff for that purpose! So that would mean almost any problems with some game performance are actually to blame on its developers.
Saying that because there are millions of combinations of systems and therefore this game will never run well, then automaticly means that it's the users problem ?

It should be the developers responsibility that the game runs well on high end systems.
Of course some people with low end PCs will have performance issues.
But people who have a 780 GTX and a very good CPU, complain about this.
So this means that there something very wrong with the game engine.
Either this happens to everyone and most people don't care or just think it's their PC, because they have a laptop or low end PC and are happy with the performance. (they might not have high standard for gaming, like smooth fps)

They can't just say, it runs great on our system, must be something wrong with your computer.
That is the usual response you get from Blizzard when posting about performance issues.
And that is what the have claimed since the beginning of the release of Diablo 3.

The game is just a stuttery mess, and it's even worse now with the UI lag, wich seems to be caused because the UI gets unloaded, when you in a 2-4man game.
Probably has something to do with how the game manages it's RAM use. It never goes over 1.5 GB, Diablo is 32bit, but should be able to use a little more. Seems there are too many things being loaded and then unloaded, to keep the game within the 1.5 GB range.
I'll toss this bone out and say it's likely you can't blame the blues. Management likely handed down a sheet specifying what they can and cannot address. Certain things will be ignored because they'd probably be fired from wavering from the pre approved company line. Summary, yea Blizzard is still crap but try not to be too hard on the folks on the bottom of the food chain.