In response to Blue's question about seasons

General Discussion
1 2 3 16 Next
Someone (Grimiku?) asked what would make me more on board with seasons. I really just have one request that will make the idea perfect for me.

The devs are correct that I would like the chance to start fresh with a new character. No gold, no maxed artisans, no stash full of hand-me-down legendaries. Part of the draw of coming back to an ARPG after a hiatus is that feeling of building up from nothing again. However, I have put a ton of time into the characters I already have, much more so than any other game of this genre. I don't want to feel like indulging in that fresh start will just be counterproductive down the line. And I definitely don't want a roster of dupe wizards clogging up my account.

So what I'd like to see is that when the season ends, all the trappings of that new character get folded into an existing core game character, rather than just sticking a new one in an empty slot. XP, gold, etc just piled onto the character of my choice. I say this assuming that it isn't already the plan; I haven't seen any details. All John Hight has said to my knowledge is "After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster." That's a vague explanation, but it sounds like you just end up with two wizards (or whatever). Which does me zero good in the long run.

I would hope that this is how it would be implemented. Otherwise it seems like seasons would just create new problems. What about players already making use of all their character slots? They'd have a little bit of a Sophie' Choice to make. At least give us the option: one box to click for "Fill New Slot" and one box to click for "Add to Existing Slot".

Do that, and it would be a grade-A addition to the experience.
Currently, that's exactly how we intend for Seasons to work. There's still a lot of details to discuss about them, and we're looking forward to sharing them as soon as we can. John Hight mentioned some of the current "end of Season" plans in a recent interview, and I'll quote that below. In the meantime, you can read the full interview by following this link, and I recommend checking out the interview, since it covers a bunch of cool stuff.

Production Director John Hight: After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster. The goal is the fresh-start feeling — so many changes and tweaks have happened since the launch of Diablo III — it is really energizing and fun to recreate that 'first-moment-in-a-new-game' feeling.
05/01/2014 11:36 AMPosted by Grimiku
Currently, that's exactly how we intend for Seasons to work. There's still a lot of details to discuss about them, and we're looking forward to sharing them as soon as we can. John Hight mentioned some of the current "end of Season" plans in a recent interview, and I'll quote that below. In the meantime, you can read the full interview by following this [url="http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers"]link[/url], and I recommend checking out the interview, since it covers a bunch of cool stuff.

[quote]Production Director John Hight: After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster. The goal is the fresh-start feeling — so many changes and tweaks have happened since the launch of Diablo III — it is really energizing and fun to recreate that 'first-moment-in-a-new-game' feeling.

What about loots?

Will we be able to obtain them without having to play Seasons?

That's the only question that needs answer right now. Everything else are details.
My question is... Since all your characters share the same stash loot, if your Season/Ladder character has a full stash of stuff when the season ends, how will those items be transferred to the "normal" character lineup of your other toons?

Will the Ladder toon have his own stash, or will it all drop on the ground when you log in haha?

[quote]Production Director John Hight: After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster. The goal is the fresh-start feeling — so many changes and tweaks have happened since the launch of Diablo III — it is really energizing and fun to recreate that 'first-moment-in-a-new-game' feeling.

Lol...the "first-moment-in-a-game" feeling. I'm for Ladders, and even I think this statement is BS.
05/01/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Brad

Lol...the "first-moment-in-a-game" feeling. I'm for Ladders, and even I think this statement is BS.

I'm still wondering when John Hight is going to look up the definition of "earn"

I think it has something to do with people having hoarded hundreds of millions if not billions of gold form the AH and gold sellers before they were shut down. They want to force all of them to play without their billions of gold :P
05/01/2014 11:40 AMPosted by commiedic
My question is... Since all your characters share the same stash loot, if your Season/Ladder character has a full stash of stuff when the season ends, how will those items be transferred to the "normal" character lineup of your other toons?

Will the Ladder toon have his own stash, or will it all drop on the ground when you log in haha?

Ladder characters will have an entirely separate stash. When the season ends, everything is wiped and then you start over.
05/01/2014 11:39 AMPosted by DoomBringer
Currently, that's exactly how we intend for Seasons to work. There's still a lot of details to discuss about them, and we're looking forward to sharing them as soon as we can. John Hight mentioned some of the current "end of Season" plans in a recent interview, and I'll quote that below. In the meantime, you can read the full interview by following this [url="http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers"]link[/url], and I recommend checking out the interview, since it covers a bunch of cool stuff.

What about loots?

That's the only question that needs answer right now. Everything else are details.

The answer to your question is right in the link Grimiku posted:

"We plan on creating brand new, powerful legendaries that only drop within in the season."

Can't wait to try out ladder and get them new legendaries!
05/01/2014 11:43 AMPosted by commiedic
I think it has something to do with people having hoarded hundreds of millions if not billions of gold form the AH and gold sellers before they were shut down. They want to force all of them to play without their billions of gold :P

If I came into RoS with 0 gold.. I would have been fine. You pick and choose what you reroll and give up if it gets to steep.

I don't know what will happen.. all I can do is pray it makes the game better.
Kind of sucks for those of us that don't have time to start over for the chance at these new legendary items.

I get it, I do. I just have invested honestly too much time as it is in my current characters and will not be able to find the time to start fresh on ladder. Be nice if blizzard would throw those of us that don't want to play ladder a bone here.

Really don't want to miss out on items. Hard enough to find time to grind for the current items I would like to own.

Good on blizzard though to at least include ladder for those that want it.
05/01/2014 11:44 AMPosted by Elesp
[/quote]

What about loots?

The answer to your question is right in the link Grimiku posted:

"We plan on creating brand new, powerful legendaries that only drop within in the season."

Can't wait to try out ladder and get them new legendaries!

Yes, that was said in the article. I just want to know if they changed their stance a little or not.
05/01/2014 11:39 AMPosted by DoomBringer

What about loots?

Of course not, you would have to have a season character to get those season only legendaries. I cannot believe people are actually whining like spoiled little children about this. This is exactly how it was in Diablo 2. There were unique items and runewords exclusive to ladder characters. Nobody complained about it then, stop acting like babies.
05/01/2014 11:54 AMPosted by Abirn
[/quote]

What about loots?

Of course not, you would have to have a season character to get those season only legendaries. I cannot believe people are actually whining like spoiled little children about this. This is exactly how it was in Diablo 2. There were unique items and runewords exclusive to ladder characters. Nobody complained about it then, stop acting like babies.

You should wipe your own tears from your eyes. Not everything would appear to be QQ then.

What's the matter, you don't want to see more of Jondar, more hidden footprints, and more of Azmodan's tactical genuis?
Currently, that's exactly how we intend for Seasons to work. There's still a lot of details to discuss about them, and we're looking forward to sharing them as soon as we can.

Great, exactly what I wanted to know. I thought it seemed like the sensible route. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do still have follow-up questions regarding logistics of how the items would get transferred (e.g. what if I have a full stash? etc), but I respect that you guys are on a timetable for releasing details. Hope an update comes soon.
@Grimiku

My understanding is that with the introduction of ladders and seasons, all loot and gold will be transferred to our core "non-seasonal" characters, am I correct? Which would mean if there are new legendaries that are ladder exclusive (which would be really the only reason I would play on ladder), at the end of the season that exclusive legendary will be transferred to my core character, right?

In that case, I'm all for ladders and seasons. It would make me keep playing RoS for hours on end to hunt for those season exclusive legendaries. Otherwise, I don't see the point in playing in ladder. You'll just be working on leveling up to 70 and finding new gear completely from scratch, just to get your character wiped in a couple of months.
05/01/2014 11:59 AMPosted by TheNoseKnows
[/quote]

What's the matter, you don't want to see more of Jondar, more hidden footprints, and more of Azmodan's tactical genuis?

Thanks to Adventure Mode, I won't have....wait. Oh god, I'm going to have to complete Act 5 to unlock it again!? Crap! Oh well...a little TERROOOARRR never hurt anybody.
05/01/2014 11:59 AMPosted by TheNoseKnows
[/quote]

Kormac is a murderer. After his side-quest, I can safely say he's on his downfall.