More Legs in Normal Than Torment

Items and Crafting
My clan have spent the day doing normal rifts and we ended finding ice climbers and the furnace and a whole load of other legs and then we go back to torment 3 and find 0 legs....i dont get it...just lucky i guess?
it's all about speed! You can go 10x's faster in Normal than in T3, so you find almost 10x's as many legs.
any other thoughts is it just speed that is to account for the ultra rare drops? i have my doubts.
There's not a substantial difference in drop rates between difficulties.

The difference between Normal and T3 is only 90% MF (assuming my reference chart is still correct: http://www.diablowiki.net/Difficulty#Difficulty_Levels).

We don't actually know the drop rates chances but they are clearly low. To be generous. 90% increase to 1% chance of finding a legendary wouldn't even bring it to 2%. Even farming efficiently on T6 wouldn't push that above 3% in rifts.

To say that you might find more legendary drops in Normal vs Torment isn't at all surprising. Statistically the odds are against that happening but the difference in actual drop rates isn't that much all told. Hence why people shouldn't get so caught up on the T6 viable or fail mentality. It's NOT a big deal.
07/14/2014 02:33 PMPosted by Socrates
any other thoughts is it just speed that is to account for the ultra rare drops? i have my doubts.

If in torment you can kill 5000 mobs per hour and get say, 5 legendaries... and if in normal you can kill 50000 mobs per hour and get 50 legendaries, speed of killing is underlying issue... no way to prove it though, but I suspect that the faster you can kill, the more legendaries that CAN drop because of the number of mobs you are killing in the time frame.
07/14/2014 02:33 PMPosted by babinro
There's not a substantial difference in drop rates between difficulties.

The difference between Normal and T3 is only 90% MF (assuming my reference chart is still correct: http://www.diablowiki.net/Difficulty#Difficulty_Levels).

There is no MF increase with difficulty levels.

The changes is in legendary drop rate only, and is 15% per torment level last I heard from blue. Considering that MF is only applied at a 10% rate (100% MF gives 10% more change for legs) then each torment level is a 150% MF equivalent increase for legendaries, and no change for yellow/blue.

Note that the reason it goes 15... 32... etc is because it's multplicative (1 * 1.15 * 1.15 = ~1.32).

Note it's also multiplicative with a 25% increase for rifts regardless of difficulty. This is irrelevant for comparisons as it divides out evenly as well.

52% is the T3 increase over normal. You should find one and a half times the legendaries, on average (over a very long period of time, considering the low base chance). If you take longer than one and a half times a normal rift in T3, then yes, it's better to farm in normal (or perhaps T1 or T2).
so if I'm farming t3 rifts i have the same mf as I would if I was farming normal rifts? So the speed at which I kill goes into effect making it safe to say you can find more legs in normal than if you did torment 3.
07/14/2014 03:07 PMPosted by Socrates
so if I'm farming t3 rifts i have the same mf as I would if I was farming normal rifts? So the speed at which I kill goes into effect making it safe to say you can find more legs in normal than if you did torment 3.
You're farming at the same MF but with 52% more chance to find legendaries. Speed is the factor, yes. Find the torment level (or normal) where your time and chance balance out to give you the highest return for the time spent.
Oh, and to clarify why I mention the MF being 10% for legs above (since it's irrelevant for the T-level bonus) - if you want to use MF gear instead of regular gear, and it's a DPS decrease, then you'll want to factor in how much it slows you down, relatively speaking. If it's too much, then it's better to farm without the MF gear.
Drawback to killing stuff in normal is that you can't get your Class Set pieces to drop. To get those you have to do T1 or higher. But, yes otherwise if you are after legs... Faster killing in Normal might be the better way to go. Everyone has different luck so says the RNG Goddess...
07/14/2014 03:52 PMPosted by Raistrev
Drawback to killing stuff in normal is that you can't get your Class Set pieces to drop. To get those you have to do T1 or higher. But, yes otherwise if you are after legs... Faster killing in Normal might be the better way to go. Everyone has different luck so says the RNG Goddess...
While mostly correct, there is still Kadala (some have better luck there than others, and it's limited of course - but the option remains).
07/14/2014 03:58 PMPosted by Shadow
07/14/2014 03:52 PMPosted by Raistrev
While mostly correct, there is still Kadala (some have better luck there than others, and it's limited of course - but the option remains).

IIRC Kadala will only drop the Class set pieces still in T1 or higher.
07/14/2014 02:15 PMPosted by Socrates
My clan have spent the day doing normal rifts and we ended finding ice climbers and the furnace and a whole load of other legs and then we go back to torment 3 and find 0 legs....i dont get it...just lucky i guess?

07/14/2014 02:19 PMPosted by CannaWhoopaz
it's all about speed! You can go 10x's faster in Normal than in T3, so you find almost 10x's as many legs.

What i been trying to say month ago when i posted a thread That i made 300% MF set for my char, i do find legs quicker in normal, But everyone thought i was a moron lol

07/14/2014 03:14 PMPosted by Shadow
f you want to use MF gear instead of regular gear, and it's a DPS decrease, then you'll want to factor in how much it slows you down, relatively speaking. If it's too much, then it's better to farm without the MF gear.

Legendary gems change the out come of that :-p My goal to farm t2 just as quick as i do in normal.
But no torment only legendaries in normal so..
Maybe I should venture into normal difficulty and see if I can get ny hands on Ice Climbers and furnace. I'm sick of seeing Crudest Boots and Boj Anglers all the time doing High Torments.