Snopocalopticon 2: RoF/Cold EB

Wizard
So after trying lightning EB and being a little disappointed with the DPS, I gave cold EB a go and it's a lot better than I thought it would be.. definitely better than lightning IMO. Plays a bit similar to doly's build except you switch comet with cold EB.

I'm currently using a legacy Oculus with 10 APoC but I don't think this build needs legacy gear. My current gear:

Aughild's helm, chest, shoulders
Cold Vaxo
Cold Strongarms
Cold SoJ
Unity (will use Taeguk when I find it again - recopied and lost leg gems)
Captain's belt and pants
Firebird's gloves and boots
WoW
Legacy Oculus

I went the CDR route currently sitting on 50.44% CDR (shoulders, diamond in helm, Evo, Captain's 2p and paragon) with only 10% RCR from paragon. I haven't done the maths, but I'm pretty sure the legacy Oculus can be made up with 4 APoC from both a wizard hat and source and getting and adding an RoRG to the set meaning you'll get another 10% RCR from Captain's 3p set. An RoRG also allows you to use a wizard hat for the APoC and still keep Aughild's 3p bonus. You'll lose the elite damage but gain required stats without the need for legacy gear. I'm not using an RoRG because I don't have one.

Ideally, you'd go with a wizard hat with Int/APoC/CHC/OS and a Winter Flurry with an RoRG. You'd also have a Xeph ammy, Frostburn and whatever boots suits you (either ICs or Illusory... I'm only using FB for the Int bonus).

Skills are as follows:

LMB: Ray of Frost (rune discussion below)
RMB: Black Hole (Event Horizon)
1: Explosive Blast (Obliteration)
2: Frost Nova (Bone Chill)
3: Blizzard (Frozen Solid)
4: Mirror Images (Duplicates)

Cold Blooded, Evocation, Blur, Unwavering Will

Similar to doly's build, go with Cold Blood if you don't have much resource regeneration or Black Ice/Snow Blast if you have enough to sustain. I really wanted Sleetstorm to work but the damage isn't really comparable IMO but it does give really good AP returns when you get mobbed.

Single target, SS is pretty bad.. I haven't tested extensively but Black Ice and Snow Blast was killing at a pretty even pace. I suppose I haven't tested enough to really see the difference between the two.

Basically the idea is to cast duplicates as you're approaching a mob, BH and activating EB at the same time then run into the middle of the pack and start channeling. As soon as you see any of them twitch, cast FN whilst still channeling. By this time, the dupes would have started casting either BH/FN/Blizzard, all of which keep everything whilst your channel. When EB is available again, cast it along with FN.

If you cast anything else, it'll break your channeling so be careful not to spam anything unnecessarily.

I thought the DPS would be similar to the lightning variation with Lightning Storm stacks but surprisingly, it performs better and the crowd control you get is far better. Frozen Solid >>> Paralysis since enemy immobilisation is 100%.. I am pretty sure Blizzard will nerf this. I can see Bone Chill/Frozen Solid/Dupes wizard with a Rimeheart monk being pretty strong together.

Now that I think about it, I think I do recall someone naming a build "Snowflakocalypes" before... anyway, I guess this is one for the current PTR? Anyway, can someone with an RoRG please test how sustainable build is?
According to the Naming conventions set forth in the Melkor/Dolynick Concordance, the proper name for this build is Snopocalopticon.
I had to practice saying that a few times before getting it right.
SnowBlast!
Hmm... just a slight adjustment on how you approach a mob... I walk straight up to them and cast EB and Dupes at the same time whilst casting BH. After that, you start channeling immediately. You cast FN as soon as you hear the EBs. Why this order? Because it allows you to channel a bit to ramp up the damage of RoF, RoF applies cold debuff, along with BH with Strongs, then FN adds Bone Chill... this way the booms hit harder and your EBs are getting really good buffs.

By the time enemies have started to move again, your next EB is ready to go and your dupes have started to freeze of BH again. Continue channeling and casting FN/EB when available. The buffs really do add a lot to your RoF and EB.
MrDuMa, can you make a small video for us ?
I tried it with a LoG and 4 APoC and just found myself running out of AP too quickly, only running 20%rcr but between casting EB + BH + RoF the AP just disappeared in a matter of seconds, even tried pumping up AP with paragon. Only had 43% cdr at that time too, it could be a really fun build if the AP wasn't such a big issue for me.
07/18/2014 01:30 PMPosted by Machado
MrDuMa, can you make a small video for us ?

07/18/2014 07:28 PMPosted by HotYeti
I tried it with a LoG and 4 APoC and just found myself running out of AP too quickly, only running 20%rcr but between casting EB + BH + RoF the AP just disappeared in a matter of seconds, even tried pumping up AP with paragon. Only had 43% cdr at that time too, it could be a really fun build if the AP wasn't such a big issue for me.

So... tried to make a video in T5 but I was getting blown up all over the place. I think when I was playing I was actually in T4 where the damage was still OK.

I don't think the damage is there and I think it comes down a couple of things... non-stackable buffs and the inherent problem with channeling, ie. standing still.

The AP problems were much more obvious vs higher HP mobs where the DPS wasn't killing them before I ran dry. So I thought I'd switch to Cold Blood to lessen the AP usage but that brings another problem in no cold buffs. I haven't tested this at all, but I'm pretty sure that Snow Blast only applies the cold buff once. Since the dupes can't channel, that's where it stops. I think this is where Lightning EB builds will be much better. Velvet + Mykens + Dupes + Lightning Storm is a huge DPS buff for EB. Another big factor of Cold v Lightning is Electrocute is a signature and uses no AP. I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm willing to bet that Velvet and Mykens starts to make Electrocute damage become pretty decent (especially with Simplicity's Strength gem) and eventually be comparable to RoF.

So yeah, initially I thought Cold EB would be alright but damage just isn't there. Fire doesn't even need stackable buffs because of FB6.

I'll try again with 20 APoC to see if that makes a difference, but then again, even when I was running Snow Blast with a Channeling pylon, I still wasn't doing enough damage in T5... quite disappointing.
This build's name. Stolen from me.

That said.

Win.

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
I originally had it as "Snowflakocaplypse" but "Snopocalopticon" sounded more like a transformer, so I went with Megatron.
Epic Transformers name!
Solved the AP issues with Reaper's Wraps, my current setup:

Aug helm/shoulder (+ex blast)
Countess cold ammy
tals Arm (+ex blast) + Belt
Frosties
Cold Reapers's Wraps
Captain's Boots (+RoF) + Legs
Soj + Rrog with +20% damage to control impaired targets (this seems to work with movement impairing effects like cold damage.)
Woh + LoG with + RoF and 4apoc
Skills:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZYhOSN!ZiWb!ccYcZb

When you can group mobs up the damage is pretty good, ex blast hitting for 40-60m on elites and RoF ticking at 30-40m. Survivability is a big issue though with no Tele or duplicates in here, could swap in a Unity.

Buffed stats:
1m dps
+76% cold dmg
+45% elite dmg
13m Toughness

T6 elites die pretty quick but still quite far behind Firebird, something different though.

Ran solo upto Grift 27 with no unity. Rift Guardian Dps is terrible though. Could be fun to play in a group
Yeah, I found that at some point, your DPS plateaus and it's like a big wall. The burst is good but against RGs, that's when I have to stop using RoF and start going back to running around with EB using Snow Blast for a tiny bit only to keep the cold debuff up.

How much APoC/RCR are you running with? There is no permachannel even with Reapers against RGs though I still haven't tried out two legacy APoC pieces.
Anybody think that this build and gear has possible promise?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WNYkOh!Zdhi!cbcZ.Y

Iteams

1.) Wand of Woh
2.) Frostburn
3.) Winter Flurry
07/19/2014 07:41 PMPosted by MrDuMa

How much APoC/RCR are you running with? There is no permachannel even with Reapers against RGs though I still haven't tried out two legacy APoC pieces.

I'm running 20RCR with 4apoc, I can't perma channel at all with my setup, the RG fight is pretty silly how you just end up running around only using EB, for everything else AP hasn't been much of an issue.
07/19/2014 07:56 PMPosted by HotYeti
07/19/2014 07:41 PMPosted by MrDuMa

I'm running 20RCR with 4apoc, I can't perma channel at all with my setup, the RG fight is pretty silly how you just end up running around only using EB, for everything else AP hasn't been much of an issue.

It's quite unfortunate. You either have the DPS to blow up elites or you don't. Long fights means a pretty huge loss of DPS so if you can't CC and group packs together to unload your initial burst, it does get exceeding difficult.

I'm currently trying out Lightning EB with Lightning AT and it's much better sustain. Against Perdition RG, I was permachanneling AND using EB with 8 APoC and 17.2 RCR. I think because of it's size, it was getting hit by all the lightning charges and giving me heaps of returns with APoC. The stackable Lightning Storm gives more +Lightning as well... Snow Blast doesn't :(

Cold definitely still needs work.
07/19/2014 07:46 PMPosted by Umbra
Anybody think that this build and gear has possible promise?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WNYkOh!Zdhi!cbcZ.Y

Iteams

1.) Wand of Woh
2.) Frostburn
3.) Winter Flurry

Could with the Frosties cold proc, but you need more damage I think. FB6 gives a 3k weapon damage DoT per second. The most you can get out of +cold is your gear +Snow Blast, which doesn't stack. Lightning is sorta in the same boat where the DPS will plateau at some point v monster HP, but the ceiling is definitely higher for it since the DPS output is better than cold.