GNK proc increased

Monk
If only GNK wasn't fire only... I'd totally do a GNK-LTK-Ytar with Windforce Flurry Cold Ranged build >_<

heck I'd use SoH too!
Okay quick update - I was dying really fast on T6 when using Epiphany Insight and STI passive... so I switched back to Desert Shroud with the Exalted Soul passive and it made a pretty substantial difference.

On T5 and below I would probably continue to use STI/Insight for the quicker clear times, but Desert Shroud is really valuable for T6 and I was pleasantly surprised with how well I was able to survive (only one death after I switched skills) with less than 300k HP. So at this point, I am running a build almost identical to my live fire monk but with a Maximus instead and I was able to clear T6 with almost no problems.

I will continue to do more testing on T6 but as of right now I would say this new PTR is bringing a pretty huge buff for us fire monks. My stats are essentially the same as my last post (and I am abusing the crap out of Serenity) but I did make one gear change that may have proved much more useful than I initially realized.

I was so used to running Harrington's that I left it there for my initial testing but swapped it out for a Greater Rift since they are essentially useless there. I wasn't even really paying attention and just went with my best sustain belt that I could enchant for all resist, which happened to be a Razor Strop and wow - I think this thing is making a pretty substantial difference. It's almost like having a mini Exploding Palm party going on just by picking up the health globes elites drop while I'm spamming Serenity.

After the one death (which was essentially just a cluster f*** of wasp spam in a cesspool) I didn't really have any issues and took down the RG in about a minute. Needless to say I'm really satisfied with my current fire build on PTR, and I haven't even gotten around to testing lightning or ZDPS (though it's probably not very good anymore). I would also like to note that I have never found a Unity and always run with a RORG and SoJ. Neither of my rings or my amulet have sockets so no legendary gems either.

TL;DR: Fire monk is really damn good now with Maximus. Highly recommended with current gear and skill setup - and grab a Razor Strop if you can.

If anyone wants me to try other skills or gear let me know!
08/05/2014 07:37 PMPosted by Jsachun
Cost 50 spirits now. WTF. Crusaders get a spender at the cost of 40 wrath that does 960% damage x 3, @ reduced cost of 20 wrath with AC set. And we get a damage increase at the cost of 20 extra spirit. This must be a joke. And besides that everything else seems to be nerf.

Obviously coming last isn't bad enough for Monks.

you can't directly compare spirit and wrath like that
crusaders have 100? resource, and we have 250.
also, spirit is easier to build than wrath
Fyi, I tested GNK + LTK + FoT cookie lightning build in T6 Rift for efficiency and feel. Without much tweaking, T6 is ok with Unity x 2 but I gotta say it is underwhelming. Fire LTK should be much better I reckon. Anyway, Blizz gives "BUNCH" for LESS I guess...all that excitement over blue post. Maybe too early to say since there could be more efficient builds that rely on this round of change BUT I doubt it's going to be game changing.

On the other hand, holy might be quite good with the change in generator speed - someone tested yet?
I did more testing with LTK fire and I can average around 8 minutes. Still think I should be able to do a bit better, but *shrug*. The skill tweaks I've been making haven't quite been adding up.

Maybe I'll try again with bane of the trapped once I find one. Slippery enemies really mess things up since with a 2H, animations are long so you aren't too maneuverable.
08/05/2014 09:41 PMPosted by Rowtron
you can't directly compare spirit and wrath like that
crusaders have 100? resource, and we have 250.
also, spirit is easier to build than wrath

You actually can though.

That's because when we assume building around particular abilities.. for example FL crusaders building around a similarly cost resource ability like FotH and monks building around LTK (pre-50 LTK, I mean) we can look as see that in both cases the abilities were basically spammable indefinitely.

This is why the change to LTKs spirit cost is so crappy. If they had left it at 30, it'd be perfect. A spammable, high damage spirit spender when combined with GNK and fire gear. That's exactly what it should be like. Similar to how CA for DHs is completely spammable, basically indefinitely when geared around.

Now though we are forced (yet again) to stack an unreasonable amount of CDR just so we can perma-epiphany so that we can then get same functionality out of an attack that other classes don't need to do since that functionality is built in to their classes ideal uses for those abilities (like crusaders, because AK set is just so amazingly awesome)
08/05/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Rukan
I did more testing with LTK fire and I can average around 8 minutes. Still think I should be able to do a bit better, but *shrug*. The skill tweaks I've been making haven't quite been adding up.

Maybe I'll try again with bane of the trapped once I find one. Slippery enemies really mess things up since with a 2H, animations are long so you aren't too maneuverable.

That's a really good time, though! I only managed around 18 minutes on T6 (with two deaths) but I am going to keep trying for faster clears over the next few days. I agree that our DPS is still lacking, but the fact that I was able to facetank Rime with less than 300k HP and no Unity abuse was pretty awesome in my opinion.

I know I can get through without dying, I just need to pay better attention... At this rate, I don't even know when I will get around to testing my lightning build.
08/05/2014 10:19 PMPosted by lolwut
08/05/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Rukan

That's a really good time, though! I only managed around 18 minutes on T6 (with two deaths) but I am going to keep trying for faster clears over the next few days. I agree that our DPS is still lacking, but the fact that I was able to facetank Rime with less than 300k HP and no Unity abuse was pretty awesome in my opinion.

I know I can get through without dying, I just need to pay better attention... At this rate, I don't even know when I will get around to testing my lightning build.

Heh, I guess that isn't really a terrible time or anything.

But I always compare my monk to my demon hunter.

Meanwhile, sentry DH got a pretty huge buff lol.

Sentries are proccing tons of stuff like helltrapper. I'm about to test if they can proc Johan <_<

And they work with bane of the trapped now. Sooo... I guess we'll be seeing 45+ greater rift DH's now.

Finally getting my monk to 8 min T6 feels so inadequate in comparison.
Made a Video of the Fire Build I'm currently using and tweaking around.

http://youtu.be/Va9zht5xmD8

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13734913371
@Teckno - I'd switch out Harmony for the new Sixth Sense (+25% resist to all non-phys) if I were you. Much higher sustain. I'm also trying to tweak the fire build but my Maximus is a no-socket one and I havent found a Ramaldi's Gift for it yet :( Really hoping I won't need to switch inner fire/desert shroud for the new spirit regeneration. It just feels.. bad to have only spirit regen gained from a skill..
Oh yeah, not sure why I haven't tried that new passive out yet. I'll def try it out next time I play. ^_^

And wow I didn't even know something existed like Ramaldi's Gift. So when you get one, you basically get another free stat on your weapon. O_O interesting.
Yeah, too bad the Maximus dropped for me on PTR and not live 'coz it's got some SWEET rolls :p All I had to do was reroll the main dmg portion to max (currently running with 3.5k dmg on Maxi but no socket). I'll prolly be grinding hard to get it on live, unless I switch to perma TR with Thunderfury+Odin and start upgrading those 200 levels of Taeguk for perma immunity from armor bonus :p

A lil question to you all. http://imgur.com/Bno2usG
Does this mean I'm totally immune or do those two reductions count somehow separately? 'Coz with the new passive and Mantra I'm getting over 100% total for all of the resistances O_o