Inactive Characters

General Discussion
In Diablo 2, characters would be deleted after a certain amount of inactivity. Is that going to be the case in Diablo 3 as well? Or will our characters persist indefinitely? I have to assume the latter, due to the fact that there is no longer an offline mode to preserve characters anymore.
They will never be removed and will be around forever.
Well subject to any apocalypses and zombie invasions.
^
Good thing. I had some great Diablo 2 characters that got deleted from inactivity. Lost a ton of hard work.
09/08/2011 10:07 AMPosted by GeminiEclips

Not a chance, Tyrael takes care of the Diablo 3 Servers.
Did you know that your characters don't get deleted until someone else takes their name or your account gets dumped out?
09/08/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Oggy

Not a chance, Tyrael takes care of the Diablo 3 Servers.

Yeah but he blew up the worldstone, so who knows how that affected him. Maybe he's the one who starts the zombie apocalypse?
09/08/2011 10:07 AMPosted by GeminiEclips

This made me lol :D
Thanks for the replies. I lost my first characters due to inactivity, and that prevented me from ever seriously playing on Battle.net again. Glad to hear it won't be an issue this time.
09/08/2011 10:30 AMPosted by Vinex
The funny thing is, they never actually deleted characters on d2 to my knowledge. They would show up as "expired" on the login screen, but you could still login with them. I went back to d2 after a 2 year haitus and all my characters were listed as expired, but I could still login just fine with them.
Not everyone was so lucky. Some characters stayed, others poofed.
it is a legal thing that they won't be able to delete character any way.. if you accru blizzard currency.. it is the same deal as a gift card ..where a company legally cannot put a time limit on use ..
09/08/2011 11:17 AMPosted by Toyodah
it is a legal thing that they won't be able to delete character any way.. if you accru blizzard currency.. it is the same deal as a gift card ..where a company legally cannot put a time limit on use ..

My understanding of the money is that the funds would be attached to your Battle.net account, and therefore have no attachment to your individual characters.