69% Dodge and Max Resistance Build

Monk
UPDATE:
The description for Way of the Hundred Fists with Golden Rune actually says "every activation of the skill",... maybe I misread it at some point :(
So, actually its spirit generation is very low :( Use exploding palm for spirit generation!

Beacon of Ytar : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bUjXad!gWU!ZbZbac
An offense oriented version that allows surplus spirit to be used for more damage output.

Transcendance: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bUjXad!YWU!ZbZbac
Great spirit sink with Breath of Heaven healing team for 10K anytime you have the spirit.

Mantra of Evasion: 30%
Dashing Strike: 30% for 12 seconds (no cooldown low spirit cost = perpetual)
Fists of Thunder: 20% (Full Stacks)
Sixth Sense: 20% (crit chance > 40%)

Critical Strike and Dodge Scaling
Relationship between critical strike generated dodge % and NET dodge %
Crit% --> Sixth Sense Dodge% --> Net Dodge %
20% --> 10% --> 65%
40% --> 20% --> 69%
60% --> 30% --> 73%
80% --> 40% --> 77%

We drop the dual-wield dodge passive in favor of Trascendance or Beacon of Ytar, because this build generates a huge surplus of spirit. This allows us to spam dashing strike for 400+ health healed.

One With Everything: Max your Resistance by Stacking Resistance in One Element

Itemization: Stack 1 Element Resistance + Critical Chance + MF

Playstyle:
Extensive mobility from Dashing Strike and 0-Cooldown 7-Strike. Focus on killing stronger monsters by flying around the room, then kill the weaker mobs. Dash to edge of mob to prevent enemy flanking. Heal with Breath of Heaven. Use Fist of Thunder to maintain dodge stacks, use exploding palm to generate spirit.

Concerns:
Will you be able to put out any damage?
Unlike other builds that focus on damage skills, and must use items with defensive stats, this build allows you to build pure offensively with items (aside from the resistance).

How does dodge stack?
Thanks Lanoitakide for testing this in the beta. Dodging is handled multiplicatively:
0.7 * 0.7 * 0.8 * 0.9 = 0.35 % hit : 65% Dodge
If we focus more heavily on crit chance, say, bring that up to 40% crit chance, giving us 20% dodge.
0.7 * 0.7 * 0.8 * 0.8 = 31 % hit : 69% Dodge

How do you handle big groups?
Crimson rune on Mantra of Evasion + 100% dodge means big groups of monsters around me are killing themselves and missing me alot.
Sounds like a great tank. Your team will appreciate your sacrifice.
Going towards tanking with this build i would not use dashing strike, tempest rush socketed with either +50% mob damage or + 65% damage reduction while running sounds better as a gap closer. crippling wave can do mob damage reduction too if you want more defense while moving and being a tank.

as for killing anything but a boss or single mob i think later on you might have trouble getting some kills on big packs especially with one life bar.
You're assuming all of those bonuses are additive and not multiplicative. I think the Guardian's Path and Mantra are flat bonuses (well, and probably Sixth Sense, too), but judging from the differences in wording I believe Dashing Strike and Fists of Thunder might be multiplicative bonuses instead. I expect there's also a dodge cap.

@Tripwire: And the reason you take Dashing Strike is that you can rune it to give a massive dodge bonus.

UPDATE: He changed his math in the OP. I was wrong, too.
09/13/2011 01:56 PMPosted by Tripwiré
as for killing anything but a boss or single mob i think later on you might have trouble getting some kills on big packs especially with one life bar.

Not sure which other skills will provide me more than 1 life bar?
We can always build +health items?
And, I've always got Serenity.. which looks like as close to a 2nd life bar as you'll get.

And, damage wise,... I'm spamming my 100% weapon dmg Fists of Thunder and 135% Way of a Hundred Fists . So, focus on increasing weapon damage from your items, and you should still do quite a bit of damage. And, every once in awhile, a 234% Seven Sided Strike should improve output. It looks like 234% is the biggest boost over weapon damage you'll get out of your skills, which I've got in this build.

In regards to alternatives, not picking Lashing Tail Kick with 130% and Deadly Reach with 120% is probably easily offset by the significantly more offensive oriented item build. And, I've got the 135% 100 Fists?

Ultimately, not sure how big mobs make it more difficult, seeing as how dodge applies to all attacks, regardless of the number of attackers. As does resistance. It's not as though I can only dodge 1 attack at any point in time. At least, I haven't seen anything suggesting this anywhere. Also, packing the crimson rune on Mantra of Evasion means big groups around me are melting as 100% of their hits result in 120% of my weapon damage in AoE around me.
While stacking this much survivability and making use of the Crimson Rune on Evasion looks really promising as an effective means to an end; I'm really wondering if this in the spirit of the monk or even the game.

Assuming you have 100% dodge and the crimson rune, a massive amount of your damage is going to be passive and you might get bored playing.
Well in tearms of "one life bar" i can expand on that: bosses will bring you low more than once in 60s if you are fighitng in which you need to for your build to work you are forced to keep stacking thundering/dashing leaving low spirit and low regen you have to chose to use SSS(seven sided strike) or keep enough for a heal then after that you have to wait a while, your generator with yellow stone in fists is okay its on 15% and for 7% spirit with the fact you have to spam thundering if it drops or use it every so often to maintain the buff for boss fights.

Adds i can see with evasion+ runestone being nice later on i cant forsee any builds working/not working esp in co-op but the fact still remains that spamming dashing for its rune is 10 spirit every 12, with lowering your spirit gain by using thundering spam SSS will be hard to get off alot... but vs AOE you have time because... you cant die.. just slower kills but you might be able to pull i toff
I am not sure how Dodge stacks, but here us info from Beta:

Base Dodge chance: 0%
With Mantra of Evasion: 30%
With Mantra and Guardian (dual wield): 37%

Guardian says "10% bonus", so I'm not sure whre 37% is coming from. There might be deminishing returns on the % above a certain number.
It looks like dodge chance is multiplied. Don't think of it as dodge %, but as % to get hit.

(1 - .30) * (1 - .1) = .7*.9 = .63

A 63% chance to get hit would be 37% chance to dodge.
100 Fists is a no cooldown that does 8 strikes (see description of Hands of Lightning rune) in rapid succession (in the time of one typical attack), generating an additional 7 spirit. By default, 100 fists generates 6 spirit. The chance of not generating any additional spirit is, 0.85 ^ 8, a negative on all 8 hits, = 27%. Therefore, 73% of the time, you generate at least 13 spirit. And, in reality, the expected value is higher, because there's a chance of succeeding on multiple hits per 100 first usage. Let's just use the number 13.

Therefore, using 100 first once is enough spirit to use dashing strike, which requires 1 second.

So, then spam fists of thunder, for 6 per usage eight times to maintain stacks + 1 more usage for more spirit. That's 54 spirit generated. Let's once again, assume it's 1 second per cast. That takes 7 seconds to generate enough spirit for my next 7-strike.

So, in 8 seconds, I have generated enough spirit for my core skills, Dashing and 7-strike.
In the remaining 4 seconds, I would probably spam 100 fists for additional spirit, so I will have 4 * 13 = 52 surplus spirit each cycle.

Serenity has a cooldown of 60 seconds. I can go through at least 2.5 cycles in this time, generating 130+ surplus spirit for a 35 spirit skill.

Mantra of Evasion has a 60 second cooldown but lasts 120 seconds, so a rare cast.

In reality, I may not need to cast Fists of Thunder 8 times each cycle to maintain full stacks... depends on stack duration. So, I'll probably end up with ALOT more spirit than I need.

Actually, swapping out the 10% dodge from the dual wield passive can be replaced with Beacon of Ytar for a good way to spam 7-Strike to use surplus spirit (which thanks to you I found out about by doing these calculations :)

I could probably make up that 10% dodge by increasing my crit chance by 20% to a minimum of 40%, which is probably doable if I'm gearing very offensively with my items.

Or, a more defensive build would swap the Beacon of Ytar for Trasencdence, allowing me to spam my surplus spirit on Dashing Strike, which heals for 400+ HP, with no cooldown, and plenty of spirit to spam.

I don't know if there are any items stats the provide healing per hit, or % of dmg, or anything. But if there is, we could probably afford to just focus on the offensive Beacon of Ytar build, banking on superior damage output with aspammable 7-strike to heal us.

Base Dodge chance: 0%
With Mantra of Evasion: 30%
With Mantra and Guardian (dual wield): 37%

It looks like dodge chance is multiplied. Don't think of it as dodge %, but as % to get hit.

So, assuming each source is separate:
0.7 * 0.7 * 0.8 * 0.9 = 0.3528 % chance of being hit
65% dodge chance.

Maybe we'll go with the defensive Transcendence passive for some sustainability.
65% dodge chance before Sixth Sense.
This would make Sixth Sense really really good at higher gear levels.
Assuming of course that Precision gives the same crit % per point at all levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBGhsYqa90

At level 13 with 72 Precision, this monk has 30.1% crit.
I suppose that's a good reason to believe you get less crit % per point of precision at higher levels though.
Doesn't the defense attribute also give a chance to dodge? Not sure how up-to-date my info is. And there's always items, too.

I suppose that's a good reason to believe you get less crit % per point of precision at higher levels though.

Since blizz has decided to handle attribs for the player, I'd assume it'll stay around that % throughout the game.

---

I must say... If you combine 2 of these (or 4...) so you can have another mantra giving you metric tons of healing, you could seriously breeze through hardcore.

Have the second monk run mantra of conviction with a golden rune and you'll easily out-heal almost all damage without ever needing to stop attacking.

Have both monks run serenity with golden runes and if one gets in trouble and can't pop serenity himself, the other can get him the time he needs to run away.

Drop Transcendance/Beacon for Near Death Experience... Kinda self explanatory for HC.

Probably bring Inner Sanctuary with gold or obsidian for it's massive utility. Enemy control + healing/damage reduction? Yes please.

Use the last slot for your favorite damage skill.

With a 3rd or 4th monk, it just becomes easy mode, no matter what difficulty you're playing on.

Mantra of Retribution + Indigo = Massive attack speed bonus. More attacks = more healing.

The only bad rune choice for Mantra of Healing in this set up would be golden. Indigo would probably be the best if used properly.
09/13/2011 05:07 PMPosted by Vanguard
Since blizz has decided to handle attribs for the player, I'd assume it'll stay around that % throughout the game.

Precision is found on gear.
Very nice. Love to see people already figuring out %'s and what not. Cant wait till I get in to do some of my own tests.
09/14/2011 10:24 AMPosted by Isshin
Very nice. Love to see people already figuring out %'s and what not. Cant wait till I get in to do some of my own tests.

Yeah, won't be able to test it until the game is released. But some theorizing now will give us a direction to test once it is available :)
im excited i like these builds a lot i wanna try them!
Doesn't the defense attribute also give a chance to dodge? Not sure how up-to-date my info is. And there's always items, too.

---

I must say... If you combine 2 of these (or 4...) so you can have another mantra giving you metric tons of healing, you could seriously breeze through hardcore.

Have the second monk run mantra of conviction with a golden rune and you'll easily out-heal almost all damage without ever needing to stop attacking.

Have both monks run serenity with golden runes and if one gets in trouble and can't pop serenity himself, the other can get him the time he needs to run away.

Drop Transcendance/Beacon for Near Death Experience... Kinda self explanatory for HC.

Probably bring Inner Sanctuary with gold or obsidian for it's massive utility. Enemy control + healing/damage reduction? Yes please.

Use the last slot for your favorite damage skill.

With a 3rd or 4th monk, it just becomes easy mode, no matter what difficulty you're playing on.

Mantra of Retribution + Indigo = Massive attack speed bonus. More attacks = more healing.

The only bad rune choice for Mantra of Healing in this set up would be golden. Indigo would probably be the best if used properly.

why keep stacking monk? you know barb have buff too right?
09/14/2011 07:02 PMPosted by Asura
why keep stacking monk? you know barb have buff too right?

Because, as odd as it sounds, the monk appears to be more survivable than the barbarian. In HC, the extra defense is worth more than the extra damage being a barb would provide. He also fits the same role (run around, thump stuff) as the monk, so there's no benefit there.

The barbarian's buff isn't good enough to justify sacrificing all the personal defense. On top of that, he really doesn't have any other decent synergies except warcry, where the monks can help each other out with inner sanctuary and sanctuary. If you're planning out characters to be played together, you may as well help each other's builds as much as you can.

If anything, I'd replace the 3rd or 4th monk with a witch doctor. Hopefully the mantra of conviction would be enough healing to keep some life-linked dogs up, which would in turn keep the witch doctor up.