Is there a reason to use shields for Barbs?

General Discussion
At the moment there is no active or passive skills that use or require shields for Barbarian. Would you use shields to mitigate damage or opt for another 1h or 2h weapon?
There is a reason for shields.
use shields to mitigate damage
yeah i don't really see any classes that benefit using shields over a different offhand, be it class specific or dual wield.
It all depends on how blocking will work. If blocking works like diablo 1 and 2, where it had a chance to completely negate a physical attack, I can see shields being very popular in hardcore.
Two handed miighty all the way. Shields are for babies.
09/22/2011 06:29 PMPosted by Nemuraan
hardcore.
If there are any skills that deal damage based off of defense then definately. Or to just up your defense and tank boss's
Shields have HUGE defense ratings.
Best Crafted shield looks awesome

Exalted Grand Dread Shield
Off-Hand
Rare Shield
388–392 Armor
+8.4-16.8% Chance to Block
190-256 Block Amount
+6 Random Properties

Storm Shield looks pitiful

Stormshield
Off-Hand
Legendary Shield
394–434 Armor
+7.0% Chance to Block
+7% Chance to Block
+25-27 Resistance to all elements
Attackers Take +21-23 Damage
+1 Random Property

Also note on the First shield it has 190-256 Block Amount Stat

+7.0% Chance to Block
+7% Chance to Block

Um - what's the difference?
+7.0% Chance to Block
+7% Chance to Block

Um - what's the difference?

I think ones Base chance (base shield), then an additional bonus chance
Imagine the following scenario:

You are not a DW (dual wield) build, you dont like that gameplay so you are off with 2 choices:
2handed weapons (meaning only 1 set of random properties to exploit) and Shield and 1Hander (2 randoms sets of properties to exploit)

What do i mean by "exploit" is getting the exact attributes and modifiers you need in your build, do you want to max crit % ? Well then maybe a nice 1 hander with very fast attack speed and a shield with %crit and attack will be very good.

Remember that DW takes the main hand speed for calculations only and iterates between weapons for each attack, so its main/off/main/off/main/off. So you would need 2 great weapons and dualwieldinng skills to make it good. I imagine Sword and Shield will be very useful for lots of barbs.
You are missing the point also that a shield can be enchanted/gemmed as well as the weapons.

Depends on the build as usual, do you really believe they would make shields if they were useless? They are MAKING the game , im pretty sure they know if shields are useless or not. If they were rest assured they would be removed or changed
Hmm templars use shields.

Also dont discount the possiblity of a "shield class" being added in a future expansion.
09/22/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Guildmaster
Depends on the build as usual, do you really believe they would make shields if they were useless? They are MAKING the game , im pretty sure they know if shields are useless or not. If they were rest assured they would be removed or changed

Without skills (active or passive) it just seems like shields wouldn't be as fun to play with.
09/22/2011 06:58 PMPosted by Rwitz

Without skills (active or passive) it just seems like shields wouldn't be as fun to play with.

There are plenty of defensive abilities, and runes that can change other abilities to grant instant life regen/etc. Like they were saying, 2-hander doesn't kill a ton faster than one-hander in the beta atm. That's probably 'cause there's no high level 2-handers though.