Is discussing the leaked beta an infarction?

General Discussion
EDIT: No I have not been stupid enough to download it and I won't. Was just asking if it's illegal/bag of virus before I consider it that's all. No need to rage. Neither did I link to it so it ain't against the TOS to make this thread.
ya i hope they are able to scan your system an ban you for having it ..
download a f2p game like long or perfect world and get use to having tons of gold like you get in those games :
It's illegal. Don't do it.
09/24/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Alvraen
1: Its not a virus.
2: No one will ever no.
3: Its not a leaked beta, Its a emulated battle.net
4: Its pointless and the only use I see for it is to see how the game runs before you preorder.
5: Its bad don't do it ignore 1-4 :P
...An infarction is a blockage in an artery.

An infraction is the word you're looking for.
Legality aside, it's so unbelievably not worth the risk to your system, and data on the system.
Scanners can't get everything ... don't go *intentionally* installing a program that's going to mess with your stuff and steal your info.

I mean, do you type your passwords onto this computer?
...An infarction is a blockage in an artery.

An infraction is the word you're looking for.

^ this
09/24/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Alvraen

Wait what? Why would it be illegal?

Use your head, obviously talking about it on an official diablo forum is probably against the rules

Legality aside, it's so unbelievably not worth the risk to your system, and data on the system.
Scanners can't get everything ... don't go *intentionally* installing a program that's going to mess with your stuff and steal your info.

I am amazed at how little people know about computers these days.
09/24/2011 06:26 PMPosted by METAFouR

Use your head, obviously talking about it on an official diablo forum is probably against the rules

Is that aimed at me? You're suggesting there aren't dangers in downloading clearly tampered with programs from clearly suspicious sources?
09/24/2011 06:26 PMPosted by METAFouR
ToU/EULA violation. Forbids reverse engineering of the Beta client.

At the very least, a civil lawsuit.
Kids these days think if it's on the internet, it's legit.

LOL!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_17_00001201----000-.html

I'm amazed at how little people know about law these days.

09/24/2011 06:40 PMPosted by Cynikul
ToU/EULA violation. Forbids reverse engineering of the Beta client.

At the very least, a civil lawsuit.

Yes, for the people responsible for making it, they'd never sue you for using it.. I'm sure they'd hire expensive lawyers to take on every random person who attempted to use it, what harm is it causing them?

Once the game actually comes out though, that's an entirely different story.

Regardless of relative value of the lawsuit, suing a poor nobody like the OP, it's still a violation of the US Code. And, in particular, Blizzard would have a stronger case for copyright infringement by suing something like this before release, than after release. See e.g. Harper & Row v. Nation, 471 US 539.
It really doesn't matter if it causes Blizzard "harm" or not. Using anything other than the official client is a violation of the Terms of Use and/or the End-User License Agreement - and yes, you do have to agree to one of those to get the data files. And if you didn't, your receipt of those was in violation of them... which means that whoever leaked them is liable.

The simple truth is that using (let alone hosting or creating) something like this would be the kind of thing that could land you in court (civil, probably) with very, very large amount of money at stake.

And, as other folks have said, downloading something like this would be rather of a substantial security risk, no matter how much somebody claims that it's "legitimate".
"Real men (and tauren) wear kilts" -- Pahanda
I suppose one could have a heart attack while doing it.