Solution: Create a PVP server

General Discussion
Im just going to put it out there. Arenas are for wimps. I wanna battle whoever I want, whenever I want, and I want the higher level chars to try and hostile me, then I can take them to school with my basic skills and gear, like I used to do in D2.

I totally agree that there should be a PVP server. I don't want to play with kids who are too scared to duke it out. Or have a Pvm or Pvp option when you make your char. You can keep the entire community together, but the PVM people can't be hostiled.
I have played both. There is something about WoW players that differentiate them significantly from people who have played diablo. Its typically attitude, but they also think typically think they should import WoW into diablo, as if Diablo wasn't good enough to stand on its own. "Agreeing" to a duel is kind of annoying. Hostile was still better.
And yes, the point about PVP or PVE games is a better way to talk about this.

You do realize that the one way to get the "Hostile" in this game is based off the WoW servers correct? There is no way Blizzard will force PvP games on everyone after letting people know there would be arenas for PvP and regular games would be PvE. Meaning? If there's a way to implement Hostile in the game, there will be a need for an option at game creation which will be checked or not to select if we want PvP enabled or not.

Anyway, I believe I've made my point and the whole "This is not WoW." crap is probably starting to get to me.

The only thing I'll add, is that removing the ability to PK in regular PvE games was probably one of Blizzard's best move to remove grief, harrassment through PK and any other form of PK that would be meant to hurt others be it by ruining their game experience or by killing them repeatidly and insulting them at the same time.
09/27/2011 07:17 AMPosted by Computer
Or have a Pvm or Pvp option when you make your char. You can keep the entire community together, but the PVM people can't be hostiled.

While I generally disagree with the PK attitude, this isn't such a bad idea, in theory. But in practice, out-in-the-field PvP just isn't practical in Diablo3. You have to remember that Blizzard has intentions to balance skills differently for PvP compared to PvE, so being in an environment where both types of fights could potentially occur could break the game. It's this differentiation in skill stats that makes the idea of PvE mixed with PvP unpractical. It's best to just set up separate games for PvP and PvE, like I mentioned earlier.
There aren't servers. There will be a giant NA server, etc.
09/27/2011 07:25 AMPosted by Warp
There will be a giant NA server

So giant that it will take over the US! A giant Server Monster.
09/27/2011 07:27 AMPosted by Nsanity
So giant that it will take over the US! A giant Server Monster.

OMG its coming! The Giant Server Monster is upon us! Fleee! Flee for your life!
How about this solution, instead of making it a dumbass idea like an "arena" just make it so these "arenas" are just random open maps from the PvE game. Just like before, you'd be fighting outside in the areas you've explored, but it wouldn't look idiotic like it did in the pvp gameplay footage.

Arenas = stupid

Random PvE maps designed for use in PvP games = not stupid.

There you have it. There's the single difference people want. Make arenas just more open and look like maps we've played through, not small cramped 20x20 cage matches.
09/27/2011 07:30 AMPosted by nVdrOne
Arenas = stupid

I'll make sure to tell Blizzard how stupid they were to come up with the idea in the first place for Diablo 3 and WoW. I'll also go tell NCSoft how stupid they were to bring the idea in Guild Wars.

In fact, let me go on google try to find every games with Arenas so that I can inform each of them why they're stupid.

Wait, I can't. You're not explaining why arenas are stupid in your opinion... damn it all this work for nothing.
How about this solution, instead of making it a dumbass idea like an "arena" just make it so these "arenas" are just random open maps from the PvE game. Just like before, you'd be fighting outside in the areas you've explored, but it wouldn't look idiotic like it did in the pvp gameplay footage.

Arenas = stupid

Random PvE maps designed for use in PvP games = not stupid.

There you have it. There's the single difference people want. Make arenas just more open and look like maps we've played through, not small cramped 20x20 cage matches.

What about matchmaking? Do you think that = stupid?
09/27/2011 07:36 AMPosted by Achilles
What about matchmaking? Do you think that = stupid?

Yes, it rarely works out. The girls are often not what they say they are. Different look and stuff...

Oh wait you meant arenas... Matchmaking could be possibly difficult to achieve correctly unless there is some sort of way to track equipement to compare it with others in the queue so that you can actually be matched with people with similar gear. That, or you'd need some sort of ranking system to help with the matchmaking but I believe Blizzard won't be implementing that althought they could change their minds about it.

So long as there's also a way to make "premade" games with your friends to face one another, matchmaking will work out just fine.
Every 1 is going to buy d3 and get bored after 1 year of playing. This game will def not last as long as diablo 2 for that 5% peoples crying loud about anti world pvp but thats the feature that made other diablo last that much. Just like starcraft... they changed features that should never have been changed and game is just not as popular as brood war.

Just saying that there is some key features that shouldnt be changed because they change the integrity of the game, and im not saying im against all the moves blizz made but that one thing is a major change. Changing an aspect like this should simply bring a new game name or something... find a new game name thats just not diablo with thoses changes.

I will buy the game... Blizz will get my money so they could def not give a... about it.
But 1 thing is certain if i get bored im jumping on the next popular game instantly thats -1 player into diablo, not much but if all pvpers get bored and jump on the next popular game after 1 year the game will be ruins playable with their friends only and will look like diablo 2 atm.
I assume duking it out on each other on a large open space to hide and seek is smart too i guess.

I dont even find the arena small at all. Its a considerate size for that number of players.

I can't stop laughing when seeing non-stop teleports in D2 PvPs. It makes me feel like this is Portal in Diablo.
----

And once again, people forget the meaning of this genre.
I don't know why all this anger for or against PVP PK PKK and what not.When you create a character, you get the option of whether you want him in pvp or pve server.I mean there is obviously demand for it and there is obviously people that don't enjoy it, so why not give both what they want. I guaranty you that the pvp server will be just as full as the pve servers, if not more!Whoever hates pvp, There is absolutly ZERO reason you can come up with against such a concept. If you do not wish to get hostiled or fight in such dangerous enviroment, then pve is your servers.I believe that the reason there is no pvp in Diablo is because they have pushed away all the original diablo creators out of the company and they were probably the ones that believed in it as a core. Thus you have all this new talent working on a game with other intentions in mind.

blizz already said they are balancing the game based on PvE content, NOT PvP content. so sure, have a pvp server, and it will be full of ONE class because that class is the best for pvp
Loooong ago, on the other board, there was a blue post about this... They said they're already segregating the playerbase a lot as it is, between SC/HC, each with 3 difficulty modes. They didn't want to add another separation, like PvE/PvP, particularly since if you want every possible combination of options, each new options doubles the number of separations.

And now there's the people wanting no-RMAH servers.

As it is, there are 8 different separations, though I imagine you can move freely between the different difficulty modes. But they don't want to fragment the playerbase. They don't want you to log on, and be unable to find people to play with.

And they're no longer interested in supporting the hostile / PK style of play. They've made the decision to make Diablo III a cooperative game, with some optional PvP. But it's optional, and not part of normal play.
dont see an insult in anything i said but if you think the truth is an insult that for you to deal with
09/27/2011 06:19 AMPosted by Nsanity
but that reminds me of games where you could ''accidentally'' hurt your teammates (friendly-fire)

Diablo 1 and Diablo: Hellfire had both friendly fire on... Always fun trying to play with a friend in LAN and shooting arrows in his butt because the aim was limited somewhat... Oh well.

anyone who does not want hostility in d3 is not a TRUE diablo fan

That's why there's Arenas. And insulting people is NOT a way of getting what you want. Only a way to have those feeling insulted be even more against your ideas... Just saying.