For all those people buying stuff in RMAH...

General Discussion
I'm with the OP as far as buying gear ruining the coolest thing about Diablo for me--Finding gear.

But everyone will have their own reasons for playing long term.

Some will PvP.
Some will play thru inferno with each combination of abilities that they can think of.
Some will farm...

They're just ruining it for themselves as far as I'm concerned.

But the good thing about the RMAH is that the people who dont have time to get even one character into hell or beyond, in a reasonable timespan, will have the option to speed their progress by not having to farm for essential upgrades.

If the gameplay turns out to be anything like Diablo2 then the only thing that will keep me playing is that awesome feeling you get when you see a unique drop. The gameplay was just too monotonous.
there should be like a label that says "this armor was bought with real money" when you scroll over to someone's armor piece
10/07/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Veldora
there should be like a label that says "this armor was bought with real money" when you scroll over to someone's armor piece

i would be totally fine with an optional price tag feature that lets people show how much they spent for gear ..optional..
Edited for spam.
10/07/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Veldora

Why? Do you wear all your clothes with the price tags on it?
i will flip the question.

what is stopping those who play a lot and get the good gear/run/gem drops.. from putting the items on the rmah and building up some bliz bucks to buy gear if they need it.. you never have to spend money you earn outside the game .. as long as it stay in the game it is bliz currency..

most people who sell stuff will use that money to buy stuff ..not cash out ..

10/07/2011 06:44 PMPosted by FurryFury
Once you bought all the best gear for your char what will you do?

Couple points I'd like to make.

The likelihood that every person who uses the RMAH is going to buy every single piece they can find is ridiculous. Some items will be extremely rare and will sell for a lot of money. Because of how item stats are randomly generated, the likelihood of there being the "very best" item in the AH is extremely rare, and it'll be even more rare for YOU to snatch it up before someone else.

People who use the RMAH are still going to play the game, because even if by some crazy chance they have every perfect piece, Blizzard will continue to add items and content.

The question would make more sense if you asked, "What are you going to do once you're exceptionally well geared?" -- and the answer is exact the same thing as the people who didn't purchase any gear -- play the damn game.
10/07/2011 08:23 PMPosted by dirtybabby
I'm with the OP as far as buying gear ruining the coolest thing about Diablo for me--Finding gear.

RMAH doesn't ruin finding gear for you, you don't have to use it. You make it sound like you're somehow now forced to spend real money.

I get it. You like killing stuff and finding items. You can still do that. Nothing is in place to prevent you from enjoying that experience.

Even though Diablo 2 had farmers selling stuff for cash, it was still fun to kill bosses and get loot. There was never any point in Diablo 2 where I picked up an awesome item and thought, "You know, this would be a lot funner if other people didn't buy items" -- heck no, I was just happy to find the item on my own and have fun while going that.

Nothings changed from D2, except the market is safer now. That's good for people.

I have no intentions of buying items for cash, although I intend to see if I can make money. To me, the benefits far out weigh the cons -- and the cons are nothing more that exaggerated assumptions.

But everyone will have their own reasons for playing long term.

Some will PvP.
Some will play thru inferno with each combination of abilities that they can think of.
Some will farm...

They're just ruining it for themselves as far as I'm concerned.

But the good thing about the RMAH is that the people who dont have time to get even one character into hell or beyond, in a reasonable timespan, will have the option to speed their progress by not having to farm for essential upgrades.

If the gameplay turns out to be anything like Diablo2 then the only thing that will keep me playing is that awesome feeling you get when you see a unique drop. The gameplay was just too monotonous.

I guess it does allow people with less time to play to get stuff. I just don't understand how people can get satisfaction out of a game in which they bought thier gear instead of earning it. And yes i know you EARNED the money to pay for the gear and im sure that hold weight with a lot of people. But its just different. i dont like the idea that people can spend real $ to improve themself in-game. i like the in-game word to be seperate from reality. I get more than enough reality as it is. i like to play games that can distract me from having to think about real life. And when you add real $ into the equation its just make it feel like its not a "game" anymore.

i know that's kinda a view of trying to hide from reality in a game. but isn't that what games are supposed to do. let you have fun and for a small portion of your day allow you to escape from the stresses of everyday life

And yes this is different idea from what i said in my orginal post, but i did that becuase I'm tried of saying the same thing over and over again so I'm looking at it from a different aspect.

so i guess it partially selfish of me to hate the RMAH becuase i don't want to use it and don't want the stuff that would have otherwise been put in GAH which i will use to now be beyond my reach becuase they are now in RMAH. Not because of the fact that i don't HAVE money to spend on the items, but becuase for me to would just ruin the fun if I obtained them that way.

Which brings me back to the point of: Why do others not feel like spending real $ on a game ruins the fun when you take into account everything in my OP.
OP im taking a twist on your post.

What if i told you that I build level 60 characters for the sole purpose of selling them on the AH
What if i told you that every single piece of rare loot i find goes onthe RMAH for $$$?

=) there is the flip side of what you are talking about too.

To make some small extra cash amounts :)
10/07/2011 07:10 PMPosted by SpinDrJr
I'll join your game and ask you why your gear sucks

rofl'd.

10/07/2011 06:44 PMPosted by FurryFury
Games get pretty boring when you have everything you need. So what are you guys going to do?

The only thing you could do in D2 was duel once you did this.

In D3 there's actually a soft endgame in playing Inferno, and an endgame in quickly obtaining gear/items to craft/sell.

Not to mention the arena. There will probably be a pvp flagged area that you'll be able to duel and try stuff out in too...practice etc even...

And there will also be additional characters. Additional mains, alts etc...

Your argument may work for lots of games, but you are toying with one of the most replayable styles of games in existance.