Dimorphism of Auction houses

General Discussion
10/26/2011 05:58 PMPosted by Clix
Sell your gold for RM, then use those RM to buy items off RMAH

That's not the point really. The issue is that those who simply are unwilling or don't want to use the RMAH are put at a significant disadvantage in this scenario.

hmmm, I see what you are saying now and I agree with you. For whatever reason people unwilling or can't use the RMAH, those people would have less option than those who would use both.

I just dont know what is keeping you from RMAH though.
hmmm, I see what you are saying now and I agree with you. For whatever reason people unwilling or can't use the RMAH, those people would have less option than those who would use both.

I just dont know what is keeping you from RMAH though.

Not me personally, but it could be a variety of reasons. For example, I'm going to get a copy of the game for my little brother so we can play together. However, he doesn't have the resources to use the RMAH, so even though he could put a lot more time into his character and the game, people who do have the resources can easily out gear him in no time.
10/26/2011 05:58 PMPosted by Clix
Sell your gold for RM, then use those RM to buy items off RMAH

That's not the point really. The issue is that those who simply are unwilling or don't want to use the RMAH put themselves at a significant disadvantage in this scenario.

lets phrase this right...nothing is stopping you from putting anything on the rmah accept yourself
10/26/2011 06:16 PMPosted by Clix
Not me personally, but it could be a variety of reasons. For example, I'm going to get a copy of the game for my little brother so we can play together. However, he doesn't have the resources to use the RMAH, so even though he could put a lot more time into his character and the game, people who do have the resources can easily out gear him in no time.

again your little brother can put items on the rmah.. just because he can't cash out doesn't mean he can't use the rmah
10/26/2011 06:25 PMPosted by Toyodah
again your little brother can put items on the rmah.. just because he can't cash out doesn't mean he can't use the rmah

Well the barrier to entry here is pretty high, He would need to first find one or several rare-enough items to be able to sell for a high enough price to even be able to do this. Whereas those who can simply pump in a bit of capital don't have to deal with that problem.
What If I don't have a credit card? I can't use RMAH and Blizzard isn't going to send me a check in the mail. What if I actually want gold? Then I could sell the gold on RMAH... for straight cash.
You forget that gold has value too, so I could sell valuable items for gold and sell my gold for real money.
I agree and disagree.

First i agree rare items will populate RMAH more.

However, the extent will really be determined by the price of things due to cash out fees. Since the cash out fee is flat then if item prices are low it will be more beneficial to make large sum cash out rather than many small cash outs.

The easiest way to make larger sum cash out is buy selling gold.

So what we might see is gold dominating the RMAH at $10, $20, $50 increments. While all the items are actually on the GAH for $0.05 - $5 range (based in gold).

But yes, if prices for very rare items start to dwarf the cash out fee then most of them will be listed on the RMAH.

However, since everyone can participate in the RMAH without putting money in, then I don't really see any imbalance.
What If I don't have a credit card? I can't use RMAH and Blizzard isn't going to send me a check in the mail. What if I actually want gold? Then I could sell the gold on RMAH... for straight cash.
You forget that gold has value too, so I could sell valuable items for gold and sell my gold for real money.

My argument would be that after the market has become saturated with players, the market value of gold will become so low that it would take a SIGNIFICANT amount of gold to buy rare items in the RMAH. Not that it cant be done, but the fact that gold is the most prevalent commodity in Diablo 3, its value after a short period would become very very low in dollar amounts, in my opinion anyway.
The gold and real money AH will balance out. I wouldn't worry about it.
10/26/2011 07:02 PMPosted by Lilclause

That i'm not worried about. Its the balance that I'm wondering about to begin with, what will it be and how will that affect different types of players.

My argument would be that after the market has become saturated with players, the market value of gold will become so low that it would take a SIGNIFICANT amount of gold to buy rare items in the RMAH. Not that it cant be done, but the fact that gold is the most prevalent commodity in Diablo 3, its value after a short period would become very very low in dollar amounts, in my opinion anyway.

gold will only be valuable enough at that point to buy about 97% of the items in the game well 100 percent but 97% will be on the gah ..if only the rarest items and the legendaries are on the rmah .. so heck it could be 99% are on the gah ..

and there will be one gah for the planet another for the moon and i think one for mars ...(sarcasm )

so there will be a lot of incentive to check the gah and you can probably find everything on the gah at some point yeah you might not get the stuf selling for 30$ or more .. but not everyone is supposed to have that stuff
10/26/2011 07:33 PMPosted by Clix

That i'm not worried about. Its the balance that I'm wondering about to begin with, what will it be and how will that affect different types of players.

balance does not exist in d3 .. it's all about chaos randomness and luck..the balance will shift to those who have a lot of time to play and know what to sell
10/26/2011 06:36 PMPosted by Ham
However, since everyone can participate in the RMAH without putting money in, then I don't really see any imbalance.

That was the conclusion that I came to as well.

I don't plan to put in any cash of my own into the system to buy items, nor do I plan to ever cash out on transactions. Honestly, I just don't think most people (definitely myself) will be able to make any decent amount of cash off this. I'll be making use of my free listings to generate an e-balance, and just use that as an extension of the in-game gold currency.
Well you can sit on your lazy bum and grind the item yourself right.....

Fixed that for you