EB Games & Collector's Edition Frustration!

General Discussion
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some opinions on something that's happened to me, and I'm sure others, recently.

I pre-ordered Diablo 3 Collector's Edition from my local EB Games a little over a year ago.

The way they do it is tell you, if you place a 10$ deposit, you'll be on the system as a pre-order for the Standard Edition of Diablo 3. If you place a $30 deposit, it let's them know you're pre-ordering for the Collector's Edition, and that you will be automatically rolled over to a CE pre-order once the CE has been officially announced.

Well on monday following the CE announcement at BlizzCon, I receive a text message on my phone, saying the CE has been announced, etc. It was about 4 in the afternoon (they close at 5 here), when I decided to go in and double check on my pre-order.

I let them know I was just there to double check that my pre-order had been changed over to CE as I had the $30 deposit option.

The manager then goes on to tell me that a $50 deposit is needed for the CE pre-order! Okay.. annoying but no problem. I ask him, if I put the extra $20 down, am I still on the CE list from my original order date?

He tells me that the queue for CE pre-orders has "reset" and it starts from today.

Is it just me or is that completely unfair?

Sorry for the rant - it's just absurd and I'm seeking some opinions!

Cheers guys!

Edit - EB Games here have been doing that system for Collector's Edition pre-orders with all Blizzard games, not just D3. (The $30 = CE)

& I know I'll get alot of pre-order from amazon.com or other places replies - seems I'll be doing that next time after this happening!

What does it matter? Just put another $20 down. A release date hasn't even been announced yet.
^ What Fen said, That sounds pretty shadey. I've never had to pre order a game for more than 5-10 dollars.

EB games seems pretty shadey!

/sips coffee
10/26/2011 06:12 AMPosted by Myth
What does it matter? Just put another $20 down. A release date hasn't even been announced yet.

I did put another $20 down, but lost my place in the "queue".

When release comes, it's based on first come first serve for how ever many CE's they have.
Why would you even put down money a year ago for a game version that wasn't announced yet?

I'll put a pre-order down a week before release, and still get my copy. And not be frustrated.
Isn't EB Games part of gamestop now? Anyways it does sound like a bad experience and I would be pissed too :P
Why would you even put down money a year ago for a game version that wasn't announced yet?

I'll put a pre-order down a week before release, and still get my copy. And not be frustrated.

I pre-order SC2 Collector's Edition from EB, a fair while before it was released, and still did not get a copy. I was told they didn't receive enough, and that they went on a first come first serve basis. That's why I pre-ordered D3 CE so early.

Not that it matters now :P

**Edit - I'm in Perth, Australia by the way - probably has something to do with lack of Collector's Editions we get! Haha.
Hmm that is odd at my game stop you could not even pre-order the CE until they announced it Plus i had 15$ down on mine and they just transferred that over to the CE with out a problem i think you might need to find a new eb games or call the regent manager

Plus i have never had any problems ant my game stop they give me great service and i always get my pre-orders
10/26/2011 06:12 AMPosted by Myth
If im understanding the OP correctly, he did put that $20 down. After that, the EBgames decided to reset the queue for CE pre-orders. Im not sure exactly what this means for OP, but it doesnt sound good.

Regardless of that, suddenly requiring this specific game to have $50 down for a pre-order of the CE sounds a little like price gouging tbh, especially if there is no precedent.

Generally speaking, i avoid most game stores. Gamestop is my personal least favorite, but this is the kind of !@#$ they all seem to pull at some point or another.
EB Games is owned by Gamestop. Gamestop is a horrible company when it comes to customer service. Go with Amazon.
10/26/2011 06:05 AMPosted by iPlayJerg
He tells me that the queue for CE pre-orders has "reset" and it starts from today.

so since you went in the day of the reset, you should be one of the first in line.

I pre-order SC2 Collector's Edition from EB, a fair while before it was released, and still did not get a copy. I was told they didn't receive enough, and that they went on a first come first serve basis. That's why I pre-ordered D3 CE so early.

Not that it matters now :P

Order online and ship to store. They will be guaranteed to have a copy for you then.

Better yet, order online and ship to your home. Street date guarantee broo.
Yeah I'll definitely be ordering online or from somewhere else next time!
All i can tell you is, if i pre ordered a game or CE and they didn't have it. I'd flip the !@#$ out. I know it's silly to do that over a game. But i'm sorry... If i pay for a game i expect to get it.

This goes for anything IRL. I expect the services i pay for.

/sips coffee
Why have pre-order all if it is still first come first serve basis? That defeats the purpose of pre-ordering right?

I thought pre-order was to guarantee you will have that game in your hands when you show up to buy it.
What the Gamestop/EB Games claims to do around here when a CE is announced is have some employee start from the very beginning of the standard pre-order list & call each person, asking if they want to have their order changed to a collectors edition.

It seems, depending on the manager, pre-orders get handled differently per location. I personally know of an EB Games that has 2 women that worked there & held EVERYTHING for their husbands. XBOX 360 launch when employees aren't allowed first picks? One of the ladies has 2 xbox 360s sttiing in the back room. Anything thats limited? They're first, then their friends, then finally customers.

I was lucky & used to go in every week or so which got me on their good side, still isn't fair for others.

What we have learned today:

Gamestop/EB Games in-store = shady
Gamestop/EB Games online = less shady

Games from Blizzard are not even gonna run out of CE's before they come out EVER? Yea imma go with that opinion. Get over your hurt feelings
Why have pre-order all if it is still first come first serve basis? That defeats the purpose of pre-ordering right?

I thought pre-order was to guarantee you will have that game in your hands when you show up to buy it.

They shouldn't be selling pre-orders for something that isn't in the system. It wasn't a real CE pre-order, it was just EB Games being greedy & wanting $30 for a standard pre-order.

I never put money down on games anymore, haven't in a long time. Hundreds of thousands of gamers are walking into Gamestop/EB & paying off pre-ordered games 6 months in advance, letting Gamestop/EB hold onto millions of dollars & make millions off it without having to sell a thing.

I can't let them make money off my money without getting a return.
10/26/2011 06:27 AMPosted by Qqdot
Games from Blizzard are not even gonna run out of CE's before they come out EVER? Yea imma go with that opinion. Get over your hurt feelings

Haha hardly hurt over it. Just a little annoying because what will more than likely happen now is, they will tell me on the day of release that they didn't "receive" enough Collector's Editions.

It just means they held onto my money for nothing - that's if I can get it back without them trying to convince me that it was for a standard D3 copy if there was not enough collector's.

& @Doom - by first come, first serve, I mean they dish out the CE's to those who pre-ordered first, seeing as they generally only get a small amount of CE's per store here.