Inferno Isn't going to work as intended

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17
10/28/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
Bosses have fixed locations, and fixed mechanics, these two basic truths mean for very formulaic gameplay. Formulaic gameplay leads to formulaic builds to best take advantage of them, and as much as some individuals might like the repetition, we don't believe they're healthy for what we intend to be a diverse character landscape.

Clearly the philosophy you partake in works, and thats the reason the game is a FREAKING EPIC SUCCESS CORRECT? Get off the forums Bashiok, when you aren't spewing Way Jilson's failmantras.

WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK IS HEALTHY? YOU'VE KILLED THE GAME WITH YOUR FAIL THINKING.
Support OP, not amazing that he foresaw this but still a +1 to him. Simple solution - boss monsters dropping loot that only boss monsters can drop. But of course, that'll take time for Blizzard to think of new weapons/armor, so yeah. Can't see this happening any time soon if at all.
as old as it is, at least it makes us feel better seeing some blue posts on the first page

lol sad state of this game
So blizzard is trying to encourage us to do more randomized content. If I want to kill bosses to get my loot shouldn't I be able to? Why penalize players who want to run bosses as well as random content why not make everything equal?

... we don't believe they're healthy for what we intend to be a diverse character landscape.

Rares and champions tend to have either partially or completely randomized locations and affixes. We believe that making it less of a formula...

...so that's what we're going to try out.

We hope to be able to share...

[edit: ok, so 9 months; I fail too, but nobody's paying me to be here... :) ]8 Months later...

Respectfully, what is a "diverse character landscape"?

Is "random but predictably frustrating" less formulaic than "predictably entertaining and rewarding?"

You tried it out; how'd it work out for all of those interested in an end game?

So... why "hope"? Why not just share? It's your product after all. Nobody out here is screaming, "No! Please don't share! That'll ruin everything!!!!one1!1".

The purpose is devaluing boss runs, not making them pointless. I guess you could make the argument that anything beyond what is most efficient is pointless, which isn't totally wrong, but there's still plenty of grey area.

Bosses have fixed locations, and fixed mechanics, these two basic truths mean for very formulaic gameplay. Formulaic gameplay leads to formulaic builds to best take advantage of them, and as much as some individuals might like the repetition, we don't believe they're healthy for what we intend to be a diverse character landscape.

Character and build diversity is not only built by the mechanics and systems that create a build, but also what challenges those builds face that make them viable or not viable. You can have an awesome character customization system with tons of complex systems that feed into infinite character customization, but it doesn't mean anything if the content that the character is facing doesn't challenge it and validate the choices that were made.

Rares and champions tend to have either partially or completely randomized locations and affixes. We believe that making it less of a formula, and using the Diablo-centric randomness to drive the end-game gameplay as well as item drops, it will mean for a more compelling and diverse experience, which is simply going to be more interesting for more players. We expect that a huge chunk of people that buy Diablo III will never make it to Inferno, but that doesn't mean we should punish the people who do with boring and repetitive avenues for acquiring drops. The formulaic nature of bosses will ensure that they are the goal for item runs unless we devalue them, and so that's what we're going to try out.

I will also say that we don't think Inferno is the end-all solution to creating an exciting end-game. We're pretty sure it will be a great improvement, and excellent first step, but it's still quite a ways away from a true end-game content solution. We hope to be able to share some of the other thoughts we have post-release.

It must be hard coming up with nonsense to defend some of the worst design decisions the genre has ever seen.
07/18/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Raine
I really am not following your thought process here and perhaps I'm mis-reading you.

Look at the timestamps. This is a necropost of almost a year, there's no telling the state of the game when that post was made.
07/18/2012 08:17 AMPosted by ntall1
I love how they say they want us to explore the content.... what content?

you know, the content they took 4, 6, 8, 10 years making...

3 acts roughly that you can clear in a few days time... 20 hours of game play on normal, if that?

then just do it all over again 3 more times.... that is content
Titan Quest, Torchlight, Divine Divinity, And many other ARPG's are better then D3.

If you'd have told me that a year ago I wouldn't have thought it could be true. Please fix this game

I literally laughed my !@# off at this. lol noob.
10/28/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
I will also say that we don't think Inferno is the end-all solution to creating an exciting end-game. We're pretty sure it will be a great improvement, and excellent first step, but it's still quite a ways away from a true end-game content solution. We hope to be able to share some of the other thoughts we have post-release.

Thank you for acknowledging the end game problem, this game has so much potential! This game could overtake Diablo 2 as the best arpg in the world after 12 long years if the following could be implemented:

1) Level cap is now 70. 60 to 70 is a large grind and only adds a few stat points.
2) Fix sets and uniques. Check, you guys are on it.
3) Implement PvP. Check, you guys are on it.
4) More item types to pick up. Where are the charms, jewels, runes, superior socketables? These items were fun to look for and they should still be in the game.
5) Allow players to set a max number of players for their multiplayer games.
6) Allow players to travel from act to act in one game after clearing Inferno Diablo.
7) Skill charges, and chance to cast affixes should return to Diablo 3. Charges would have their own 7th hotkey. Crushing blow returns to Diablo.
8) Weapon swap returns, allow players to swap to buffing equipment, mf equipment, crushing blow equipment, etc.
this thread is super old...idiots.
Randomness? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the AH/RMAH determine what types of drops you get when you kill a pack/boss?
D2 had a handfull of farming sites all deemed lvl 85 areas, what did people run, Pits cause it was in act one easy to find and easy to clear. I'd like to see Inferno become playable to those of us that don't have time to farm endlessly for items and or don't want to use the AH's to progress. Aside from making Inferno and enjoyable experience not annoyingly "I died again" put in those dungeons or selected areas that are higher lvl areas. You'll appease many by allowing those of us deemed "noooobs, you suck, learn to play, use the RMAH" to actually complete the game while having those areas for the "hardcores" to waypoint die over and over and over again. I don't like the AH mechanics at all don't see them going away so why don't you add create a create your own item mechanic, only real money allowed and 10bucks for ever 20points of desired stat. So for those who want a 1200dps item with 180 strength that's a 90 dollar stat, what more on that weapon LOH, Crit Hit cost goes up. So the people who want to Pay to Win will have to PAY to win.
Wow did this thread necro... And how have most people missed that Bashiok's comment was almost 9 months old?
yup...

my DH has done the same run for about 20 hours