Blizzard Talks D3 for Console 11/21/11

General Discussion
Wasn't sure if any of you were aware, but IGN released this article a couple of days ago:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213045p1.html

So, not official, but Blizzard is still trying to push for it.

Yes, this is happening.
11/23/2011 12:53 PMPosted by Forge
Wasn't sure if any of you were aware, but IGN released this article a couple of days ago:<br /><br />http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213045p1.html<br /><br />So, not official, but Blizzard is still trying to push for it.<br /><br />

This is kind of old news. But a part of me hopes they dont release it on console.
Since Blizzard was acquired, the was always talk of them trying to expand out of the PC market, and try to get a foot in the door in the console market. Instead of making a whole new game, adapting a current game or a game already in development is logically the best choice. If d3 flops on console, the company knows it will still be damn well selling on PC, so there is much less risk of investment loss, and the PC sales will help offset losses by the failed investment in a console version.

of their current repertoire, d3 is the best game to pick, because it is the simplest, arguably (in terms of the controls and UI that would have to be set up.)Although there is an online component, It is mostly solo player, and having to make a controller scheme to support 6 spells is much easier than trying to set up a scheme for, say, a mage in WoW (where there are anywhere from 18-30 commonly used spells). Imagine trying to micro a protoss army in real time with just two thumbsticks and 4 buttons. Not happening.

So this will allow the company to test working in console environment with the most minimized risk of loss.
11/23/2011 01:06 PMPosted by ZeroGhosT
Since Blizzard was acquired, the was always talk of them trying to expand out of the PC market, and try to get a foot in the door in the console market.

Since Blizzard was acquired? Expand out of the PC market? Foot in the door in the console market?

Blizzard's first game ever was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Last I checked, that was a console. Blizzard started in the console market. The "since Blizzard was acquired" talks were discussions among ignorant people that have no idea what they are talking about.
Imagine trying to micro a protoss army in real time with just two thumbsticks and 4 buttons. Not happening.

You don't have to imagine, Starcraft was released on the Nintendo 64.
Since Blizzard was acquired, the was always talk of them trying to expand out of the PC market, and try to get a foot in the door in the console market. Instead of making a whole new game, adapting a current game or a game already in development is logically the best choice. If d3 flops on console, the company knows it will still be damn well selling on PC, so there is much less risk of investment loss, and the PC sales will help offset losses by the failed investment in a console version.<br /><br />of their current repertoire, d3 is the best game to pick, because it is the simplest, arguably (in terms of the controls and UI that would have to be set up.)Although there is an online component, It is mostly solo player, and having to make a controller scheme to support 6 spells is much easier than trying to set up a scheme for, say, a mage in WoW (where there are anywhere from 18-30 commonly used spells). Imagine trying to micro a protoss army in real time with just two thumbsticks and 4 buttons. Not happening.<br /><br />So this will allow the company to test working in console environment with the most minimized risk of loss.

Also not to mention I dont think the RMAH would transfer well to console. Or even the auction house or the battle.net service for that matter.
11/23/2011 01:19 PMPosted by Zaergate
The "since Blizzard was acquired" talks were discussions among ignorant people that have no idea what they are talking about.

You know damn well what I was talking about... the vast, crushing, overwhelming majority of games sales by Blizzard today, and for the past maybe decade or so (or longer) has been on PC. Therefore, Blizzard is a PC game company.

Now, it may have started as a console company, but clearly, they're out of that market. And they cant just pop in again, they have to develop a reasonable marketing and development strategy.

11/23/2011 01:21 PMPosted by Zaergate
You don't have to imagine, Starcraft was released on the Nintendo 64.

How well did it do on its own? Compared to PC? There is also somewhat of a difference stylistcally and skill wise, I would argue.
11/23/2011 01:30 PMPosted by ZeroGhosT
You know damn well what I was talking about...

Yup, Activision merger conspiracy theory. You deny it, as most conspiracy theory, tin-foil hat wearing people do.

the vast, crushing, overwhelming majority of games sales by Blizzard today, and for the past maybe decade or so (or longer) has been on PC. Therefore, Blizzard is a PC game company.

In that past decade they've released 4 titles plus expansions: Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, WoW, and Starcraft 2. In this past decade their primary console title, Starcraft Ghost, was canceled due to many reasons.

Yes, their primary focus has shifted to PC games and that means that their employed skill sets have shifted in that direction as well. However, trying to say that since they Activision merger that they are trying to get their foot in the door of console development is genuinely stupid.

How well did it do on its own? Compared to PC?

Starcraft N64 sold 160K units. Starcraft PC sold 11.32 million units.
It's coming out. I don't like it. But it's coming.
I think Wii U wil get the game if they actually do this.
11/23/2011 01:50 PMPosted by Zaergate
However, trying to say that since they Activision merger that they are trying to get their foot in the door of console development is genuinely stupid

I'm willing to hear that argument. But why not, they have plenty of revenue and a great reputation, a talented team, and console games seem like a great market for them to expand to.. I mean, at worst, they try to put out something for console and they fail, at least they'll know their place in the market... theyll still have the most successful pay-to-play MMO of all time (WoW), one of the best RTS games of all time + its sequel (SC & SC2) and a critically acclaimed dungeon crawler rpg (diablo).....

Unless you probably know something I don't.
11/23/2011 02:02 PMPosted by Glassfist

imagine managing your inventory on the remote... drool.
11/23/2011 02:02 PMPosted by Glassfist

The D3 console specific job postings over the past 4-5 months have all been PS3/Xbox360 focused.

Some quotes from some current job postings...
In-depth knowledge of the Xbox 360 and PS3 rendering architecture and APIs
Experience utilizing SPUs for rendering purposes
A minimum of 1 shipped multi-platform AAA title (Xbox 360 and PS3) as a rendering engineer
A minimum of 1 shipped multi-platform AAA title (Xbox 360 and PS3) as a network engineer
n-depth knowledge of PSN and Xbox Live

There hasn't been a single Wii reference in their job postings, as such, I'm going to doubt this.
i think the wii was a joke
Bummer, I don't know why they would not look at the WiiU It has all the tools you need to play a PC game on a consol in multiple fashions...

You have the Wii motes, and then (more preferably) the touchscreen that is also portable around the house. Maybe its just too small to use effectivly. I don't know. I think it has some potential though.

It does look like 360 and PS3 are their focus
11/23/2011 01:53 PMPosted by Sinistar
It's coming out. I don't like it. But it's coming.

Care to enlighten people why Blizzard releasing a game on a console, that will already be out on PC is a bad thing? I don't think it's anything more than ignorance, stemming from a general distaste of consoles. Prove me wrong.

And before you start giving me examples of Console -> PC ports being terrible (D3 is going PC -> Console) or some ridiculous assumption using a slippery slope, spare yourself the effort.

Blizzard releasing a console version has absolutely no impact on your gameplay or experience, so I have no idea why you kids are so up in arms about it.
11/23/2011 02:13 PMPosted by Skyfire
Blizzard releasing a console version has absolutely no impact on your gameplay or experience, so I have no idea why you kids are so up in arms about it.

I think that's the crux of the issue. People are worried that somehow splitting their interests, or markets or development team/time between different versions will somehow sap resources and quality because it will no longer all go to the one game....

I'm not saying I agree necessarily, but that's what I have heard.