Just don't have Mf

General Discussion
12/30/2011 07:00 AMPosted by MintFrog
That flies in the face of the whole risk vs. reward thing that MF/GF/XP has enjoyed since D2.

Yes; though I question your use of the term enjoyed.

It does prevent the perception of leeching though.
I played hundreds of hours of Diablo 2, and recognize MF is a flawed mechanic. If you think otherwise, you are most likely kidding yourself, or bought a lot of items off third party sites, or botted yourself.
It's no more flawed than any of the other modifiers. Should Blizzard also take out the ability for players to wear items that aren't considered BiS? Should they funnel players into class set tier gear like WoW so that no improperly geared player ruins the fun of others?
12/30/2011 07:25 AMPosted by MortQ
That flies in the face of the whole risk vs. reward thing that MF/GF/XP has enjoyed since D2.

Yes; though I question your use of the term enjoyed.

It does prevent the perception of leaching though.
If we want to go down the road of ripping out game features to appease people who have the perception of unfairness, we're in big trouble.
There is already a thread about this and me and several other people have already totally destroyed the argument as to why magic find should be removed. It's here to stay...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3764467935?page=1
12/30/2011 08:02 AMPosted by MintFrog
If we want to go down the road of ripping out game features to appease people who have the perception of unfairness, we're in big trouble

It's not important to me per se, but Blizzard wants people to play open games / in groups.

If people don't play open games 'cause there is a perception that they'll have their coat tails ridden upon, then that goes against Blizzard's design goals.

It's an interesting problem to balance out.

12/29/2011 10:23 PMPosted by Comedian
I like MF, and I like it as is.

I too enjoy MF the way it is. I say, don't change it at all.
If we want to go down the road of ripping out game features to appease people who have the perception of unfairness, we're in big trouble

It's not important to me per se, but Blizzard wants people to play open games / in groups.

If people don't play open games 'cause there is a perception that they'll have their coat tails ridden upon, then that goes against Blizzard's design goals.

It's an interesting problem to balance out.
It's not Blizzard's responsibility to make players feel like everyone is exactly the same.

Personally, I would be far more concerned with the seemingly pervasive mentality that only players who are min/maxed are worth playing with. That is far more negative for a community than MF.
It's not Blizzard's responsibility to make players feel like everyone is exactly the same.

Where did the exactly the same come from?

If Blizzard thinks that having a game where people can happily log in and play with strangers is good for the game than they have taken that responsibility upon themselves.

12/30/2011 09:42 AMPosted by MintFrog
Personally, I would be far more concerned with the seemingly pervasive mentality that only players who are min/maxed are worth playing with. That is far more negative for a community than MF.

I can agree with that.
12/29/2011 10:18 PMPosted by Robotgravy
Everyone is going nuts. Just get rid of magic-find. It's a stupid idea to have it as a stat attached to items anyway.

NOT going to happen it has been the backbone of Diablo 2 gaming for the past decade will never change. Its a huge mechanic that has made it a success.
The problem with this thread is that you OP are talking about an extreme setup that only sometimes happens and only with people who AGREE to have the MF'er in the game so everybody there can get some good stuff.

Most farmers((Which I am one)) usually either had a seperate set of Mf equipment OR((Which I did)) I got good/great equipment and put MF on it/it already had it as much as possible. The rest was dedicated to killing power...SO instead of 12K in damage I did 8 to 9K in damage and took me depending on what I ran into ONE hit more or 3. There is a point that you reach with killing power where having 20K in damage is a waste when most of what you ran into had what? 10 to 15K, so you make a decision to dedicate some of that to MF so you can kill AND find stuff at the same time.

My best MF is my zealdin and he was also used to save the Hammerdins if the Ubers went south. I was taking crap for a while about not having enough DPS till they actually saw the whole setup and realized I knew what I was doing and left me alone.
People need to stop qqing over magicfind, its a diablo feature quit whineing, asking for the percents to be less useful is one thing, but saying "qq some guy might get better items for me for getting lucky to have the item and not me qq"
Moogle, Knowek, and MortQ made some good suggestions- I'm glad to see other people echoing the fundamental problem with the MF system.

For the trolls, I've been playing since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and I quit WoW a long time ago for all the reasons people quit wow. Spare me.

MF doesn't necessarily need to be done away with, but it's clearly a flawed system which jeopardizes some of the core mechanics. Personally, I love MortQ's suggestion.
Or let MF/GF/EXP/whatever enchants be casted on all armor with some heavy prices. This way you can wear whatever armor you want and not be a gimp.
Magic Finding is about finding the right balance between MF and killing power. How many people honestly walked around with no MF on their gear? A MF item's only stat isn't magic find. Maybe I get a rare amulet with 10%FCR, 23% MF, +50 life, and resists. Thats a damn good amulet.