Barbarian tank is this viable at all ?

General Discussion
Without aggro there will be no guarantee they will stay on you. They could just jump to the back line (it should too) and pound your wizards into the ground and make pickles from your witch doctor. Blizz has stated that the AI covers long range casters as well as tanks. This was quite a fail in D2 that they wanted to correct.

IF AI switches targets you will actually be gimping your party by not choosing DPS, the faster they die less chance they have to deal damage. You cant soak up their damage so your enormous life pool is wasted.
ops i forgot to thank ninjawarrior for his build which i will be using for D3 when it goes live.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cgebkU!bdc!ZaYZab

Anyway i've continued/moved this thread to the appropriate forum section here if anyone cares to continue the discussion.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3840664687

You can't look at Diablo 3 like World of Warcraft. There are no tanks because there is no intuitive aggro system like in WoW. That's why people thought you were trolling, because this is kind of a large assumption you've taken -- the two games are exceedingly different from each other.

A tank that can't hold aggro is worthless, I'm sure you'll know, and since there's no mechanic in D3 for forcing enemies to fight you, your team's best line of defense is knowing what to kill first and when to back up.

There are 'survivability' skills you can take, and take them if you mean to play the game riskier than others. I intend on jumping right in there, so I'll be taking them, for sure. Take Barb shouts if you want to be a 'team player' but you will have no means to guarantee monsters won't break rank and run for your friends, unless you can kill them before they have the chance.

Later monsters will be able to jump or fly over you, phase through you, teleport, and shoot at range -- and they will. Don't believe that you can 'hold the line'. While sometimes you'll be able to manage it, I guarantee you this won't always be the case. Not by a mile.

12/30/2011 11:03 AMPosted by Cup
You won't be able to hold aggro.

Without aggro there will be no guarantee they will stay on you. They could just jump to the back line (it should too) and pound your wizards into the ground and make pickles from your witch doctor. Blizz has stated that the AI covers long range casters as well as tanks. This was quite a fail in D2 that they wanted to correct.

IF AI switches targets you will actually be gimping your party by not choosing DPS, the faster they die less chance they have to deal damage. You cant soak up their damage so your enormous life pool is wasted.

You're all wrong, there is a skill to force monsters to hit you.. You would know this if you took the time to look at his build instead of criticizing.

Look at the rune: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#b!!Z

As for the last quote, you're also wrong.. the barbarian in D3 has many tools he can use to heal himself and reduce damage.. You would also know this if you took the time to look at the builds in this thread.
There is no true "aggro" in the game. Monsters simply attack whatever is closest unless they have specific AI that tells them to do otherwise (i.e. Mortar affixed monsters will aim their rockets at ranged players only). The barb however is the only one that can truly hold the attention of X amount of monsters and take the most punishment out of all the classes. A barb tank is indeed very viable although the purpose of the barb is not to take damage, but rather to control the fight and allow your party to unload freely on the packs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cegbZU!bcV!YYZZcY I'd go with a build like this to maximize survivability and really apply some good control on packs of mobs.
I know alot of people keep agruing you cannot tank and so forth. I think you can, yes its a hack n slash and you wont be tanking damage while someone heals and 2 dps but still...

With a large amount of armor / resists / regen etc you could however probobly out tank a boss who otherwise would roll any other dps barb.

Also i see this being VIABLE for inferno mode... i do not see people with low resist / high damage out put instead of vitality and armor lasting long in large fights or bosses in inferno.
yes you can make a tank.

But tanks are pointless unless you're playing hardcore mode.

yes you can make a tank.

But tanks are pointless unless you're playing hardcore mode.

So was my healing paladin in D2, but it was still fun in parties nonetheless.(My holy bolt healed for 2k a shot and my meditation aura healed 200 hp a second thanks to maxing prayer aura, if you're wondering how I did it.)