Any updates on hireling buff when not in use?

General Discussion
While playing solo of course, I remember reading something about possible buffs for players who choose not to use hirelings. J/W
I don't see why there would be a benefit to not using Followers. The point of Followers are to give you a companion in place of a player. If you choose not to use the companion, why should you gain their bonuses?
troll, moving on.
Yea, I don't think followers are a play style choice. I think they are there to provide help to those who may need it.
I don't see why there would be a benefit to not using Followers. The point of Followers are to give you a companion in place of a player. If you choose not to use the companion, why should you gain their bonuses?

I think he's referring more specifically to why people who always hated followers are inherently punished for not using them. There should not be a benefit to not using followers, it should feel the same as using them, even if slightly less powerful.
01/04/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Dontinquire

I think he's referring more specifically to why people who always hated followers are inherently punished for not using them. There should not be a benefit to not using followers, it should feel the same as using them, even if slightly less powerful.

Not a very strong viewpoint though. I could say I've always hated wearing weapons and armor, why am I being punished for being naked?
01/04/2012 11:19 PMPosted by Deadtomato

Not a very strong viewpoint though. I could say I've always hated wearing weapons and armor, why am I being punished for being naked?

lol, that is what I was thinking, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
The only reason i will be using a hireling IS for the buffs, the Templar can heal me every 15 seconds for 2k, grant me +50 life/sec, and the best one, inspire:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/templar/skill/inspire.
If i could get similar buffs or perks for not using a Templar i definitely wouldn't use one, i hated mercs in d2. Its annoying trying to keep them alive. Mercs were only really usefull in d2 for auras.

My favourite thing to do was get an a2 merc when you were level 2 or w/e, was give him an eth bardiche, a biggon's bonnet, and let him carry you through some tristram runs. Those a2 mercs were so op for a1.