So um, I'm not well-read on D3's lore...

Lore and Story
Its been a while since I played D2, but can someone succinctly explain to me how exactly Diablo and demons are back after being killed in D2, with Mephisto's Soulstone smashed and the Worldstone destroyed?

Seems like it would take a Lucas-level asspull to bring Diablo back a 3rd time.
Nobody knows how or why (or even if) Diablo is back yet because the beta ends before he is encountered. As far as we know so far, the big bad is the demon Azmodan which if you will remember from D2 was one of the 2 lesser evils that we never fought and killed. So as far as anyone knows in D3 we will be up against the 2 remaining evils Azmodan and Belial and their minions, as well as the rest of the remaining armies of Hell that weren't killed in D2.

That being said, I'm sure Diablo will come back, some way some how. It will probably be an asspull, but as long as we get to murder legions of demons who cares?

Apologies if I misspelled "Azmodan" or "Belial".
The thing is.... they were banished from the Burning Hells. (The Three Prime Evils)
they were banished into "The Abyss". They were using soulstones to "come back on sanctuary" but they never really were are they true full power, as they were in The Abyss.

This is what i understood from the lore and all that.

As far as i know, they are stuck in The Abyss.... brooding to find a way out... ;)
There's also the fact that, whatever Baal was up to with the Worldstone, he accomplished it before we got there. Tyrael did what he could, and things would probably be worse if he hadn't destroyed the Worldstone, but still... it's logical to expect some downsides there.

Hell, the Black Worldstone might very well be a fragment of the Worldstone that contains the lions-share of whatever Baal and his brothers were up to and which is thus going to play a large part in our storyline.

There's also the very real possibility that Leah is the child of Adria and the Dark Wanderer. When demon lords have human kids...

...well, given Diablo's genre, I'm rather worried about Leah's possible parentage given the fact that I already like her as a character. :(
02/05/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Saiah
...well, given Diablo's genre, I'm rather worried about Leah's possible parentage given the fact that I already like her as a character. :(

I wouldnt worry too much about that, Leah was brought in to have characters we can look at the diablo franchise and "remember" like Thrall and Kerrigan in other franchises.

I cant remember where i heard this... but i did ;p

Heck! She might be possesed halfly thing... and we cleanse her or something! That'd be cool ;p
Damn guys, u are forgetting a simple answer to this question:
Diablo and his kind, like Meph and Baal are IMMORTALS.
They cannot be "dead" as me or you. they just assumed a "mortal" form while they are inside the sanctuary, and then we went there and killed him. But his soul was not even scratched...

How do you think diablo was back on Diablo2 from Diablo1? Cuz of his Soulstone? You thin it actually rezzed him? NO.
Once he was dead, he was back into the abyss, but ppl didnt knew that he still could influence ppl who were near his soulstone. And this is why Aiden put it back onti his own forehead and became the wanderer later on.

Even with his soulstone destroyed, he is still alive, for sure.

The only Demon who actually ceased to exist was Lucion, acconrding to the book lore. He was the son of Mefisto. Uldyssian desired so much that Lucion didnt existed that he disappeared and ceased to exist, by Uldyssian's enormous power.

Even the Angel Inarius is not dead, hes just trapped forever on the void, looking at your own deceased image.

So, probably Diablo will come back by the attempts of Azmodan Using the black soulstone. An perhaps even Baal and Mef will show up.
02/06/2012 03:40 AMPosted by Rainarya

I wouldnt worry too much about that, Leah was brought in to have characters we can look at the diablo franchise and "remember" like Thrall and Kerrigan in other franchises.

Hmm, true. Kerrigan isn't exactly a character with a happy ending in her story, but at least she's not dead like the Dark Wanderer. ;)
The thing is.... they were banished from the Burning Hells. (The Three Prime Evils)
they were banished into "The Abyss". They were using soulstones to "come back on sanctuary" but they never really were are they true full power, as they were in The Abyss.

This is what i understood from the lore and all that.

As far as i know, they are stuck in The Abyss.... brooding to find a way out... ;)
IIRC the Soulstones were to be used by the Prime Evils as their essential means of in securing a link with the Worldstone to corrupt it and thus Hell gains a foothold. Or it was a lengthy game of patience of augmenting their powers. (Oie, this topic is kinda rather iffy.)

The Prime Evils were never at their full strength after the rebelling Lesser Evils banished them from Hell, when on Sanctuary the Worldstone dampened their powers considerably. Once they gotten their hosts then imprisoned away it was just a matter of time when they could corrupt their respective soulstones and continue onward but in D2/LOD the heroes disrupted their grand masterplan. Breaking the soulstones at Hellforge (Diablo and Mephisto) and the Worldstone exploding (Baal) is what sent them into the Abyss and that were they been lurking ever since then.

BTW Izual's Diablo II role in the Prime Evil scheme been interesting left out from Book of Cain.

Hell, the Black Worldstone might very well be a fragment of the Worldstone that contains the lions-share of whatever Baal and his brothers were up to and which is thus going to play a large part in our storyline.
Warning - Possible Plot Spoiler: Lore understood from Book of Cain the Black Soulstone is a fabricated soulstone made by Zoltun Kulle a Horadric Ennead* master. But it something still open for debate on the precise nature of its creation. IMO he (partiality) used the smaller fragments of Baal's shattered soulstone as reagents combine with his Ennead skills seem to go hand in hand.

02/06/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Saiah

Hmm, true. Kerrigan isn't exactly a character with a happy ending in her story, but at least she's not dead like the Dark Wanderer. ;)
Nor is Sanctuary a wonderful land of "unicorns and rainbows," a shocking death in this cruel-cruel world can deliver the same impact as a well equally to the built emotional attachment to a popular character. Terrible thought indeed, a character we've grown attach too in the past 3/4 years but one who might have a short-life in Diablo III once retail out. :(

* One the three Mage Clans who specialization in enchantments, alchemy, alteration, and transmutation etc.
well they are demons from hell.. when you kill them where else are they suppose to go?? thus they can return as many times as they want?
Baal might have either been trying to corrupt the World Stone so that Sanctuary could tilt in balance towards Hell. This would allow Hell to overrun Sanctuary and eventually gain an advantage over Heaven.

OR

Baal knew the original plan was FUBAR and was trying to use the World Stone to create a new realm of reality within the Abyss for himself/his brothers to rule over.

02/08/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Snack
thus they can return as many times as they want?

It's assumed that you could "kick them out of reality" if you beat them down hard enough. At that point it becomes a game of "interact with something in the universe while being outside of the universe".
Its been a while since I played D2, but can someone succinctly explain to me how exactly Diablo and demons are back after being killed in D2, with Mephisto's Soulstone smashed and the Worldstone destroyed?

Seems like it would take a Lucas-level asspull to bring Diablo back a 3rd time.

Death is not the same thing for Demons/Angels as it is for mortals. It's even more or less established going all the way back to the first game that Demons and Angels can "come back". Their essences essentially just cross dimensional realms rather than ceasing to exist. They've been fighting for ages beyond reckoning, and when Angels die they may eventually be reborn through the Crystal Arch, and Demons are respawned from the Abyss.

(Birth and Death among Angels and Demons is more metaphysical than it is conventional by human standards.)

The most either side can hope to accomplish in terms of permanent victories over their opponents is to "imprison" them. As was the case with the imprisonment of Inarius by Mephisto, and the attempted imprisonment of the Prime Evils by the Horadrim in the Soulstones.

It is noted however in The Book of Cain, that when the soulstone was destroyed, Cain believed the spirit of the Prime Evil as it was sent back to the Abyss was somehow more terrifying to the demon than he originally thought. It might be that being spawned from the Abyss is not a simple matter of simply waiting, but could require additional challenges of some sort.