Seven Sided Strike question

Monk
I was wondering if there is only 1 enemy on the screen (a boss for example) would seven sided strike hit him 7 time at 160% dmg for a total of 1120% dmg or even better 11 times at 160% dmg for 1760% dmg with the indigo rune? If so should'nt all builds have this skill for single targets??
02/16/2012 01:10 PMPosted by DruNkenMeSs
I was wondering if there is only 1 enemy on the screen (a boss for example) would seven sided strike hit him 7 time at 160% dmg for a total of 1120% dmg or even better 11 times at 160% dmg for 1760% dmg with the indigo rune? If so should'nt all builds have this skill for single targets??

The burst from this skill will be insane. Right now, it has a BIG cool down on it, though. As the otehr poster said, there will probably be some other skills that are more effective for single targets because of this. It's a shame. It's such a cool skill, but with the big CD, many people will ignore it.

Makes me sad. :(
The point of the ability is not to do dmg.

Its an escape ability. "What do you mean?" you are wondering....

SSS or Seven Sided Strike when used grants you immunity while the animation is going.

So you dont use it as an aggressive dmg spell but as a counter.

If you see a boss winding up for a big hit, or a mini boss thats close to death and is about ready to explode for some MAJOR aoe dmg.

Bust out SSS and you wont take a single tick of dmg from the boss or the AOE explosion.

Thats how this ability is optimally used. You can open an encounter with it because by the time the cooldown is up you should be wrapping up the mobs that you started fighting.

But i recommend you keeping it as a safe back pocket skill that saves you from taking a hit at the same time is punching dudes in the face over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.... That was 7 over's wasn't it?
So what do you think is the best single target dmg dealer for the monk??
02/17/2012 01:48 PMPosted by DruNkenMeSs

The spell that does the most % to damage with the least amount of cd between uses.

Lashing tail kick would be my vote.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#YjkW

Lashing will cost you less and you will be able to get more of them off.

It will be ready for you more often because of its cheaper cost and has 0 cool downs.

SSS - 30 second CD
WoL - 100 spirit to build up before use again. Will take time.
Cyclone Strike - 75 Spirit, slightly less but not as efficient as lashing.

Lashing - 30 Spirit for 225% will be your best single target spam dmg.

Example:
P1 uses SSS then waits 30 seconds
P2 uses Lashing and can continue to use it while the other has to wait.

The dmg output that P2 does will exceed that of player 1 because of the down time.

Doesn't mean that P1 can start with SSS and follow up with Lashing while he waits for the cool down. Believe me, i plane to do this. SSS and Lashing are going to be your strongest single target in combination.
Remember D3 isn't about 1 spell spammed over and over again. That was D2

Its going to be a combination of stacking DOTS and single target DPS.

To maximise this your going to need to use more than 1 ability and thats why I love D3.

Exploding Palm, SSS, Lash lash lash, palm, SSS, lash lash..... Boss dead
after i watched some video of monk's skill(s), im quite confuse how is the 'Seven Sided Strike' interlocking mechanisme?

1. is based on area/ place-locking? (since we can see the floor got some pattern when monk using seven sided strike)
2. is based on monster/ char/ target-locking?
3. if the monk 'Seven Sided Strike' wizard, after 1-2 hits, the wizard simply teleport out, what will happen to the monk? will Seven Sided Strike stop immidiately? or will the monk chasing the 'tele-out wizard'?
02/17/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Archangel

The spell that does the most % to damage with the least amount of cd between uses.

Lashing tail kick would be my vote.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#YjkW

Lashing will cost you less and you will be able to get more of them off.

It will be ready for you more often because of its cheaper cost and has 0 cool downs.

SSS - 30 second CD
WoL - 100 spirit to build up before use again. Will take time.
Cyclone Strike - 75 Spirit, slightly less but not as efficient as lashing.

Lashing - 30 Spirit for 225% will be your best single target spam dmg.

Example:
P1 uses SSS then waits 30 seconds
P2 uses Lashing and can continue to use it while the other has to wait.

The dmg output that P2 does will exceed that of player 1 because of the down time.

Doesn't mean that P1 can start with SSS and follow up with Lashing while he waits for the cool down. Believe me, i plane to do this. SSS and Lashing are going to be your strongest single target in combination.

That's kind of bad design. I mean, Lashing Tail Kick is an AoE knockback-- it's completely counterintuitive for it to be our best single-target damage skill. IMO, the spirit spenders really need to have their costs reevaluated. I think Wave of Light ought to be the go-to skill for amassing damage on a single target, but that's not going to happen when it costs 100 Spirit.
With exploding palm being a spirit spender now. It could compete with lashing, possibly. Runes pending.

But for a spirit dump LTK just does more and it doesn't need to have a knockback effect. With the right rune it can be used to target ranged casters too so it can be a sniping skill for Monks.

Your in combat, surounded and need to hit the boss or archers shooting you. Spam LTK with
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.c!!.b

Spinning flame kick and your going to do some serious damage to all targets between you and that ranged target. This just adds to the ability of LTK and gives you a nice ranged attack.

@Neziah
I think you have a good point. If they leave the area my feelings are the monk wont follow.

But to escape all the hits in a 1 on 1 situation would require a fast skill like blink. My thoughts are they have to be ready for it to avoid it and a good monk would save SSS for when a wizard is on CD for blink. 16 second window.

Its an escape ability. "What do you mean?" you are wondering....

SSS or Seven Sided Strike when used grants you immunity while the animation is going.
What gave you this belief (probably Blizz original monk videos)? I originally thought the same thing but then I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOmX4oDAUE . It is a Blizz internal video obviously but it doesn't really look like a melle attack in either this or the monk trailers (unless of course they are using crimson). We'll have to wait and see how it ends up but I don't think we know right now whether it will give immunity or not. I hope it does because I like the idea that the monk is in the motion through the air, but I also hope the animation is fast(which nerfs the immunity) so that it can't be countered by teleport / ignore pain / etc. type effects.
I will have to find the text but i am 100% positive that while the animation of SS is going off. You wont take any damage during the duration of the skill. Your flashing around striking people and none of them even attack you while the animation goes off.

So essentially making you immune to damage. So if you see a big hit coming, just like dashing strike, a well timed SSS will avoid 100% all damage.
Now what would make me consider this spell would be if we can select a target and just have all 7 strikes hit that 1 target regardless if other enemies are near by.

That would make me use the spell so i can continue to do focus damage on the hard mobs.