"Keen War Axe of the Flame"
2H Axe
21.3 Dps
19-22 Dam
1.04 Aps

2-3 Fire Dam
Increases Att speed 4%
+1 life after each kill

This does 29-35 dam on screen with avg strike of 31-32 on Packs with 34-35 on singles.

Now, when i equip

"Keen Flamberge of the Lion"
2H Sword
19.3 Dps
14-20 Dam
1.13 Aps

+16 to Str
Increases Att speed 3%

On comparison it says +0.4 Dam and +1.5% Protection

This does 25-36 dam on screen with avg strike of 29-30 on mobs with 32-33 on singles.

Even though the axe has a +2 Dps over the sword, the sword has +16 to Str and on comparison its saying the sword is better but looking at how the dam is handed out on screen it looks like the axe is actually better?

What am i missing?
just use the one with the better numbers in the DPS display
I'm assuming you are using a barbarian. Strength increases attack damage for barbs by 1.00% for each point in addition to giving a bonus to armor to all classes. (See patch 11 notes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123246179#11)

So while the first ax has a higher DPS (21.3 vs 19.3)

The sword give you + 16% damage which is enough to compensate (and then some) the loss in DPS. The sword in time will do more dmg, and it attacks faster, allowing you to deal more damage over time.

The damage is calculated seperate from the attack damage and will not show on the DPS

just to note bonus damages:

Wizards and Witch Doctors benefit from intellegence
Demon Hunters benefit from Dexterity
Barbs benefit from Strength

-Matthew
02/26/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Wrothmor
Even though the axe has a +2 Dps over the sword, the sword has +16 to Str and on comparison its saying the sword is better but looking at how the dam is handed out on screen it looks like the axe is actually better?

The reason the sword is showing as more DPS but the axe shows it as doing more per hit is because that is actually what it is. Or, better explained: the sword hits faster (1.13 APS vs 1.04 APS).

The strength as you said brings the sword up to par with the axe, but your hits are actually still weaker. You just attack faster with the sword, so you can output more damage with it than you could with the axe.
Ignore DPS.

Look at Weapon DAMAGE. All skills/spells are based off of Weapon Damage. DPS is just there for a baseline comparison, and unfortunately it is more misleading than helpful in most cases.

As you learned by playing, the axe is better, barely, regardless of dps, because of the per hit damage.

+str is also inferior to +damage stats on weapons, because, as Matthew said, the amount of STR required to actually increase damage significantly is very high.

Casting time IS affected by weapon speed, but a difference of 1.13 vs 1.04 is negligible. Go for more damage per hit.
They're pretty even, the time it takes the axe to hit 10 times, the sword will hit 11.

It's your choice ;)
Thanks for the replies!

Over all after using the the two weapons (with cleave btw) the axe cleared faster then the sword.
Might just be for this case but
02/26/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Matthew
Strength increases attack damage for barbs by 1.00% for each point in addition to giving a bonus to armor to all classes.
This helps explain why a bit.

Even though on paper the sword is better, some where in translation the axe is actually better.

I guess it might be nice if it showed up some where in the stats?
gnore DPS.

Look at Weapon DAMAGE. All skills/spells are based off of Weapon Damage. DPS is just there for a baseline comparison, and unfortunately it is more misleading than helpful in most cases.

As you learned by playing, the axe is better, barely, regardless of dps, because of the per hit damage.

+str is also inferior to +damage stats on weapons, because, as Matthew said, the amount of STR required to actually increase damage significantly is very high.

Casting time IS affected by weapon speed, but a difference of 1.13 vs 1.04 is negligible. Go for more damage per hit.

Ok i get what you are saying but the axe is better, it does more damage and it clears screens faster, not allot granted but both these weapons were crafted so later on it might be important. Just something to note.