Battle.net 2.0 Threatens the Success of Diabl

General Discussion
D2 had no guild/clan support either. People used various tools to make it work, but there was no official support for it at all.

I don't really use the term fanboy because I think it's a flawed accusation in the first place. No worries there.

But yeah, I was on incgamers earlier looking through all the old interfaces again and I should have mentioned the clan support really started with Wc3. Op channels didn't really count but I suppose it was better than nothing.

I don't admire anything about the PvP system in D2 particularly. I am confused at why they're holding it back 100% from release though. Unless I've missed an important blue post, I don't recall the article giving any real explanation.

I don't admire anything about the PvP system in D2 particularly. I am confused at why they're holding it back 100% from release though. Unless I've missed an important blue post, I don't recall the article giving any real explanation.

It was mostly that they felt that whatever system they have going, it's not ready for prime-time, according to their quality standards. No real details about why or what specifically wasn't ready.

It's a mystery to me as well, but the bottom line is that whatever the hell they're still doing, the guys working on PvP are a couple months behind the rest of the team, as far as how close to 'done' they are. So they want to release the 'complete' PvM game a few months early, and let the PvP team have the time they need to make it 'right', then patch it in when they're done.

I hope it's good, whatever they're doing. It would be disappointing if it was delayed and when it came out it was entirely unchanged from what we've heard in the past. Hopefully the reason they're holding it back is to give PvP arenas a huge variety of modes, options, and ways to make pre-made teams, options for numbers of players, etc. I'd wait for that. If it comes out and it's still 3v3, team deathmatch, no-premade-team only...I'll be very disappointed.
This should be stickied. The concerns are pretty relevant and semi-pressing if we are expecting something to be done within the next few months. Would suck if the co-op gameplay don't take off as expected due to problems that can be rectified now.

We can all dream, can't we? This'd be amazing.

It's too bad that once upon a time these basic features are now things that are tacked on at the end as if they're unimportant. At the end of the day it's just one massive Wtf?

Call me a fanboy if you will, but I think you're being unfair to D3 here, in relation to D2.

D2 had no guild/clan support either. People used various tools to make it work, but there was no official support for it at all.

D2 had no 'real' PvP system. There was the hostile system, which was basically an afterthought, rather than any real work on the D2 team's part. There was no good way to have a legit PvP match against strangers in D2; it worked on the honor system, and people just used the outside of Act 1 Rogue encampment to make it work.

So D3 is in fact going to be patching in large features after release...but I think they're starting from a similar place as D2, and looking to make it far better in the months after release.

There was never any "patch" that made bnet 1.0/d2 pvp any better. Blizzard never did anything about it. Players made it better. People made stealthbots and made their own clan channels. People made host bots and made the game less laggy. People made pvp leagues with rules to make pvp more fun/fair (go to d2jsp.org and look at the legit dueling section, thousands of posts of people playing)

There's really nothing we can to make bnet 2.0 better as players. Blizzard doesn't let us mod the game or the chat system interface or even let us attack each other... If blizzard is going to be lazy about releasing pvp/a better chat system then you should at least let somebody else do it.
It was mostly that they felt that whatever system they have going, it's not ready for prime-time, according to their quality standards. No real details about why or what specifically wasn't ready.

It's a mystery to me as well, but the bottom line is that whatever the hell they're still doing, the guys working on PvP are a couple months behind the rest of the team, as far as how close to 'done' they are. So they want to release the 'complete' PvM game a few months early, and let the PvP team have the time they need to make it 'right', then patch it in when they're done.

I guess the difference between me and everyone else confused is I didn't make a bunch of flaming threads about it.. XD

Most times I just read the articles (System Changes, etc.) and I'm like, ok, so X Y and Z, absorb it all for a few minutes, and here's their reasoning for it. Still looking forward to the game.

03/23/2012 10:31 PMPosted by sLC
There's really nothing we can to make bnet 2.0 better as players. Blizzard doesn't let us mod the game or the chat system interface or even let us attack each other... If blizzard is going to be lazy about releasing pvp/a better chat system then you should at least let somebody else do it.

Yeah I hear you on that.
It's true. StarCraft 2 feels like you're completely alone. It sucks.

There was never any "patch" that made bnet 1.0/d2 pvp any better. Blizzard never did anything about it. Players made it better. People made stealthbots and made their own clan channels. People made host bots and made the game less laggy. People made pvp leagues with rules to make pvp more fun/fair (go to d2jsp.org and look at the legit dueling section, thousands of posts of people playing)

This is true, and as I said, it was part of the stuff people used to 'make it work' despite the lack of official support for these things.

As far as PvP goes, yes, there's not much that you can do to 'make it better'. But that's by design. They're not going to bring back the hostile system (Though we might hope for a mutually-consented dueling system at release. I'd personally like this a lot...please, Blizzard?).

But as far as guild/clan support? There certainly is. It involves going outside the game to third-party tools (Just as you mentioned people using d2jsp to organize legit dueling). Many guilds have ventrilo/mumble and other such things, and they use that as guild chat and for their organization. And this is far better than anything people did 'in game' in D2, involving chat channels. There's also guild IRC chats, guild forums, etc. It's outside the game, but it can work. Just as people turned to resources outside the game to make it work in D2.
03/23/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Deadtomato
horse sure could use a couple more whacks I guess.

This is one dead horse still worth beating.
I've been liking and commenting on every Bnet2.0 thread in the past week, hoping Blizzard won't let this system detract the amazing game that is Diablo 3.

Come on Blizz, at least admit that there are some serious problems with Bnet 2.0, that will be fixed for the release or very soon after. Look at SC2, there is absolutely no in-game community. Please ensure Diablo 3 does not fall to the same fate.
Ya those mockups are great, much much better than the current uninspired version. If you are going to do something might as well do it right...
Great work guys, keep up the good fight! good to see you lennoxx and entity!
03/23/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Dalefrombama
Great work guys, keep up the good fight! good to see you lennoxx and entity!

=) I dont know if it's all in vain but can't hurt to try right? I can't see any reason why having a big in-game community is anything but good for the game as it will keep it going for years longer. My guess is they are trying to avoid dealing with spammers but I'd take a spammy D2 style chat over none at all any day. Blizzard please hear us out.. this is one of those unanimously supported topics that keep being ignored by Blizzard CMs. Let me remind you that communities like D2JSP will pop up if such a system is not implemented. Isn't it better for the community chat to be in Blizzard's control instead?
"Threatens"

lol

That's cute. Maybe reality will sink in when Diablo 3 is released and sells like 2 million units on day one.

(or, more then likely, you guys will somehow come up with a way that is a "failure", and the rest of the world will still not care, lol.)

Failure in this case won't be determined by units sold, but by how long the game lasts or remains popular. There's a reason why SC2 is one of Blizzard's least played games even though it came out 2 years ago, and it's not because Protoss is op'd.

@OP: dat mockup... wow that truly looks amazing.. what an excellent job. I sure hope Blizzard sees this and implements something similar. This looks fantastic.
I agree with this thread
I've been liking and commenting on every Bnet2.0 thread in the past week, hoping Blizzard won't let this system detract the amazing game that is Diablo 3.

Come on Blizz, at least admit that there are some serious problems with Bnet 2.0, that will be fixed for the release or very soon after. Look at SC2, there is absolutely no in-game community. Please ensure Diablo 3 does not fall to the same fate.

Nice to see you here Entity.
If incgamers was capable of producing their own critical pieces instead of rehashing everything that they see on the forum, I might have the slightest urge to look at how the article goes.

Unfortunately, they never really have anything new to write about - which has been the case for years. And sound like your typical, sub-human Blizzard forumites.
If incgamers was capable of producing their own critical pieces instead of rehashing everything that they see on the forum, I might have the slightest urge to look at how the article goes.

Unfortunately, they never really have anything new to write about - which has been the case for years. And sound like your typical, sub-human Blizzard forumites.

I don't get it. Then again if you aren't going to look at what we're talking about you shouldn't even be posting here anyway.
I gotta tell ya. I just don't care one bit about the QQ over BN2.0. It sure seems like mountains out of molehills to me.
03/24/2012 01:13 AMPosted by Kezmaefele
I gotta tell ya. I just don't care one bit about the QQ over BN2.0. It sure seems like mountains out of molehills to me.

Then don't post here about it. This is for people who do care posting constructive criticism.

If you don't care, fine, but don't get in the way of people who do since it won't even affect you.