Final boss fights - normal or MF equipment?

Items and Crafting
I will describe you a hypothetical situation.

You are in the fight with the final boss of the game. The boss is just about to be killed. It is known that the first kill of the boss gives you better chance for MF. (Do someone know the exact numbers?)

Will you switch to your MF items or not? Does it matter to you? It may be your only chance to get some better loot from him (or her)... Or do you think that it won't be worth it and you will try your luck with random bosses?

Looking forward to your opinions...
Blizz actually stated you probably won't be doing "boss" runs. And that the best items will be off of random bosses/mini elites/rare spawns whatever. So I would say whatever magic find you have on when you're running around lol.
03/07/2012 04:48 PMPosted by coachcheat
Blizz actually stated you probably won't be doing "boss" runs. And that the best items will be off of random bosses/mini elites/rare spawns whatever. So I would say whatever magic find you have on when you're running around lol.

I think what the OP is talking about is the first time you kill a boss. The first time you kill you get better drops, so should you put on magic find gear to get even better drops or not.

Well one question is how exactly does the first kill mf buff work. If it is just this boss gives you a flat magic find buff, then wearing your own magic find gear would not be worth it.

If it works like im guessing it does, that the boss itself has an increased chance to drop rare/unique/set items, then using mf gear would help a lot. Assuming mf works the same as it did in D2, magic find is more important on bosses then on normal enemies since they have a higher chance to drop magic items already.

Anyways, on a specific boss fight, my idea would be to use as much magic find as possible while still being able to kill the boss (assuming sc this could be a trial and error deal).
03/07/2012 06:36 PMPosted by D3BETA
Well one question is how exactly does the first kill mf buff work. If it is just this boss gives you a flat magic find buff, then wearing your own magic find gear would not be worth it.

I hope this numbers will be known before the release because we will get with each boss just one chance. Or maybe not, Bashiok posted an interesting idea http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4139866860?page=2#22
In D2 it basically worked that your chance was (base chance) * (boss bonus) * (your modified MF). For first kills (after 1.10 when they added it) the boss bonus was larger. I mention this just to point out that because they are separate multipled factors they are essentially independent, as compared to if they somehow added MF to the boss bonus, which would not be independent. So in the long run there was no strong pro or con to MF on first kills.

Of course with things you will only get to do once, rather than grinding, then unless time is a factor (ie you're racing to get to level etc) as fBSunny said you should ideally use as much MF as you possibly can while still being able to kill the boss.

It is unlikely we will ever know as much about how MF works in D3 as we did in D2. All the specifics we learnt in D2 came from unraveling the executable, but that is all server-side now so we can't step through it line by line. Even with the best statistical analysis it will be hard to pin down exactly how it works just from observation. But assuming it's similar to D2 until something proves it isn't, is sensible.
03/08/2012 02:33 PMPosted by D3BETA
But assuming it's similar to D2 until something proves it isn't, is sensible.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that in D3 are MF bonuses from the equpiment smaller than in D2. In D2 was normal that MF bonus on the items started on minimum cca 10%. I don't remember any situation in which some item had MF bonus and the bonus was under 10%. Even in the very start of the game. But again, it was long ago and I may be wrong. And in D3 I didn't see any item with MF bonus greater than 5%.

It may be some indication of changes in the calculation. And of course, with party MF bonus is possible that MF bonuses would be inadequate high if party had four members and that could be another reason why the bonuses are so small now.

So anyway, I think that equation for MF will be different.
You may wish to refresh your memory :) MF wasn't really available on low level items at all in D2, and it couldn't spawn on most item slots as a random magic affix. Most people in D2 got MF from uniques (= legendaries) and sets (which we aren't seeing in the Beta), charms (not in the initial D3 release) and sockets (not in the Beta).

Also, the standard Diablo approach to random affixes is to have more powerful versions become available as the item level increases. Currently we are only seeing what can appear on single digit level items. Once we are seeing level 60 items which will have access to the best affixes we will probably be seeing much higher MF %s, similar to what could be achieved in D2.

I agree the sources of our MF will look different, but the size of the total numbers probably won't.