In need of a Primary Ice Skill

Wizard
This is especially needed for people who want to stick to theme builds. There is a lack of a Frost ability and I think one should be added. Best suggestion I could think up of was a runed magic missile that changes into a Frost Bolt.
You can rune Ray of frost to cost 0 ap.
03/12/2012 12:49 PMPosted by D3BETA
You can rune Ray of frost to cost 0 ap.

Not anymore, i think it reduces it to 12 AP.
Current game guide still lists the Cold Blood rune as reducing Ray of Frost to 0 AP.
03/12/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Scowarr
Current game guide still lists the Cold Blood rune as reducing Ray of Frost to 0 AP.

I believe it was confirmed to be a display bug. But if I am wrong, then I guess this post can be disregarded. But it would still be nice to have a AP generating frost spell.
Wouldn't mind a primary fire skill either, and no the Shock Pulse rune doesn't count because it's an awful skill.
zEmini is correct. It is a display bug on the calculator. In the beta the tooltip states that the rune reduces the cost to 12 AP.

I never expected an arcane spender to be reduced to 0 cost in the first place. I always suspected it was a bug, or at the very least an oversight.
some early wizard videos showed off a cone of cold style ability that the wizard could use to freeze opponents solid. It seems to have been removed, but if they brought it back, removed the freeze, and made it a short range burst cast instead of a channel, that would make a pretty decent signature. They'd have to give shock pulse a little more range though, otherwise cone of cold would just be better than shock pulse in all areas, and that's not very nice to shock pulse
03/12/2012 08:51 PMPosted by D3BETA
some early wizard videos showed off a cone of cold style ability that the wizard could use to freeze opponents solid. It seems to have been removed, but if they brought it back, removed the freeze, and made it a short range burst cast instead of a channel, that would make a pretty decent signature. They'd have to give shock pulse a little more range though, otherwise cone of cold would just be better than shock pulse in all areas, and that's not very nice to shock pulse

They could just rename Impactful Blades rune on spectral Blade to something Like "Ice Shards" and change it to cold damage? Hardly even need to change the spell effects either!
There used to be a rune that added crit chance to blizzard...dont know why they took it out, was god to stack with ap on crit items and use it as an ap generator...or at least as a very cheap spell.
What really bothers me now is, we can't use Ray of Frost for a primary anymore, 12 Ap/second Isn't low enough to use as a primary.

My hydra build got broken because we can only have 1 hydra out at a time.

Blizzards do not stack.

Blizzard (company) decided to break every thing revolving around Frost, with the exception of Comet maybe? I don't see a point in them making passives like conflagration and black ice when all these spells are pretty much "turret/aoe abilities"

The only frost ability that can be used as an actual spell is Ray of Frost, as a secondary.
Comet - Blizzard - and Frost Hydra are now "arcane" set 1 and go back to primary/secondary spells. 3/4 Frost spells are "arcane/force"

Signature is: 1 arcane, 2 electric (1 can be runed for fire) and 1 physical
Secondary is: 3 arcane, 1 frost

At first so many builds seemed viable, and now its pretty much set into "pick from these, and only these now".

The only thing is Spectral Blade with a Frost damage weapon will apply frost affect.
Blizzard is Destroying the wizard class more and more its starting to no longer feel like a wizard and more like a mage from wow i 100% hate the direction blizzard is taking the wizard.

THERE IS A reason people quit wow they are over the play style.
Blizzard is Destroying the wizard class more and more its starting to no longer feel like a wizard and more like a mage from wow i 100% hate the direction blizzard is taking the wizard.

THERE IS A reason people quit wow they are over the play style.

Its funny that you say that, their solution to "making frost mages viable" for PVE was to pretty much just mesh all the talents so that frost could access fire/arcane dps talents for raids.

But, since Pvp is not a focus in this, they still cut out a lot of viability for other specs.
Ray of Frost at 12 AP Cost means you can use it for a solid 50 seconds at base pool and base regen before going OOAP.

12 cost per second - 10 base regen per second. at a 1.0 speed (common 2-hand weapon) = 2 per second with Astral Presence (+2 regen) it can be spammed indefinitely as long as you have the base AP required to cast the first tick.

At 1.4 speed you need 28 AP Per Second to cast base Ray of Frost. Runed to only cost 12 per cast it's 16.8 per second - 10 per second = 6.8 per second = 14.7 seconds before you go out of AP.

With a 2 Hander, you can cast it infinitely and even still be regenning AP with the correct rune setup. With a 1 hander+ offhand it can be difficult.

Ray of Frost at 12 AP Cost means you can use it for a solid 50 seconds at base pool and base regen before going OOAP.

12 cost per second - 10 base regen per second. at a 1.0 speed (common 2-hand weapon) = 2 per second with Astral Presence (+2 regen) it can be spammed indefinitely as long as you have the base AP required to cast the first tick.

At 1.4 speed you need 28 AP Per Second to cast base Ray of Frost. Runed to only cost 12 per cast it's 16.8 per second - 10 per second = 6.8 per second = 14.7 seconds before you go out of AP.

With a 2 Hander, you can cast it infinitely and even still be regenning AP with the correct rune setup. With a 1 hander+ offhand it can be difficult.

I don't completely understand what you're saying, because you say cast infinitely, but you give a time limit on how many seconds you cast before you run out of AP. So it seems to be a "cost efficient" spell for prolonged dps. I mean, gaining 2 AP per second seems...pretty low. Is it really that efficient for gaining AP back?

Also, seems a bit unpleasant to have to get a 2hander for it to work, missing out on wizard specific items (wands/orb)

Also now that Blizzard doesn't stack is there any suitable replacement secondary dps?

edit: This is the best I could come up with http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cPliTk!XWf!YYYYZc
They Defiantly should have made Signature spells 1 of each element, would clean up the class alot
03/12/2012 05:00 PMPosted by D3BETA
I believe it was confirmed to be a display bug.

Link?

If that is not a bug the only other option is that the AP cost decreases based on level, until it finally costs zero.

However, without actually using the rune effect in question (or having someone post a link which contains proof), any claims made are purely assumption based.
03/16/2012 10:17 PMPosted by blitzkrieg
I believe it was confirmed to be a display bug.

Link?

If that is not a bug the only other option is that the AP cost decreases based on level, until it finally costs zero.

However, without actually using the rune effect in question (or having someone post a link which contains proof), any claims made are purely assumption based.

It is 12 AP Per Cast in the game currently. I can vouch for this. It may eventually do as you say, but the displayed AP cost reduction has not changed from levels 1-13.

I don't completely understand what you're saying, because you say cast infinitely, but you give a time limit on how many seconds you cast before you run out of AP. So it seems to be a "cost efficient" spell for prolonged dps. I mean, gaining 2 AP per second seems...pretty low. Is it really that efficient for gaining AP back?

Also, seems a bit unpleasant to have to get a 2hander for it to work, missing out on wizard specific items (wands/orb)

Also now that Blizzard doesn't stack is there any suitable replacement secondary dps?

edit: This is the best I could come up with

It's not meant to gain AP Back.

With 12 AP regen per second (Base 10 + passive 2) you can spam runed Ray of Frost (12 per cast) with a 1.0 attack speed weapon and not ever decrease or increase in AP.

It isn't free, but it hits harder. It is single target however.

I do not really understand why you all want a frost signature spell. Against mobs that are highly resistant to frost attacks you will fail if you have a frost-based spec, however nice it is. If you're worried about keeping Black Ice up, use Frost Hydra or one of these:

-Cold (21 Spells + Runes: 1 Frost Nova, 6 Ray of Frost, 6 Ice Armor, 1 Hydra, 1 Meteor, 6 Blizzard)

That is a total list of all frost spells + rune combinations Wizards have that deal damage. Some additional ones (more frost Nova) will keep Black Ice up as well.

I've heard you can use Spectral Blade signature spell with a weapon that has +Frost damage and it will apply the buff, but I have not personally tested this.

03/12/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Scowarr

Current game guide is quite outdated, as is the Wizard sticky by Sixen - by about seven months now. I'll be posting a guide that is updated shortly on these forums, but it will be a link to Force Strategy Gaming forums when it goes live.