Nephalem Valor Buff

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 65 Next
EXCELLENT design choice, Blizzard.

I've been proposing and suggesting ways to keep people WANTING to stay in a SINGLE game for as long as possible, as opposed to popping into and out of games every 5 minutes trying to maximize their loot runs.

This encourages people to explore as much as possible AND to stay in the game to get the most out of their Magic Find bonuses.

This is a MASSIVE step in the right direction.

Less open instances = less overall server lag.

THUMBS WAY UP.
03/21/2012 09:32 AMPosted by D3BETA
I checked all the blue replies and didn't see an answer, but will this reset if you die? hopefully Bash will answer this

They haven't decided yet.
Sounds awesome! Encourages you to continue your game instead of boss runs over and over, which drove me to the point of near insanity. Glad to see the loot mechanics are being improved so well.
nice system but for HC it doesnt matter what the buff provide; quick easy area(depending on buid/party) will always outweight the buff
This is the kind of creative and effective solution that I would expect from Diablo's development team.

Though, I'm sure the balancing process for this will be a challenge.
This is great! However I question how this will work with the idea of mf being shared between party members. Say I clear act1, get the buff then want to clear act2 to do the same. I believe the mf bonus should only apply to myself and others that were with me during that time frame. For example someone joining the game should not get a share of my mf buff or drop buff.
Can't wait.
03/21/2012 09:33 AMPosted by D3BETA
I checked all the blue replies and didn't see an answer, but will this reset if you die? hopefully Bash will answer this

Maybe make it so you lose 25% of the buff everytime you die.
Sweet
Overall I think it's a very solid system, but I have some concerns...

Back in Diablo 2, many areas had a fixed amount of champions and uniques, pre-determined by the game files, at an increasing number according to difficulty. I'm not sure if it's still like that in D3, but I think people will just figure out areas where there is a bigger chance of finding champions which happen to be close to bosses.

The system is good at preventing skill swapping, but bad at preventing people from finding sweet farming spots and running them over and over. There will still be the D3-equivalent of "Meph run" and people farming them over and over.
03/21/2012 09:33 AMPosted by D3BETA

Perhaps it doesnt have to be all or nothing. If you lose it all, whoever dies is most likely going to drop game right then. If some punishment for dying must be had, it could lessen the buff.

Making up numbers here, but if your buff was at 100 and you die, maybe it goes down to 50, or 75. Then you just have to kill a few more packs to catch up to where you were.
To give players a sense of End Game content I suposse, just like in WoW the gear race starts at level cap.
This looks cool and fun and all but in the actual game will we be able to pick the skills we want to use or are we still contained to only being able to use a small number of select skills? Not only does the new changes to skills, where you have certain skills to pick from through: 1-4 - left and right click, dumb down the game where it takes not near as much thought to make your characters, but it also limits the customization, for instance JUST off hand, my previous build for a wizard that I was excited about for the last 6 months or so included: Frost Nova, Slow Time, Teleport, and Diamond skin. Now I'm limited to choosing ONLY ONE of those skills AND on top of that I have to choose a bunch of skills I'm not interested in using. Not only is this upsetting because of the reasons I listed below, but this is also a recent change from the way the game WAS before... I must have missed the memo where you guys said why this is better. But unless it includes puppies and candy, nothing you say can convince me that the new way the skills are laid out is any better...

Edit: Puppies and candy still wouldn't help your case... Is there anyone else who has complained about this? I've been busy with work and other things so I haven't had much time but I've been in the beta since late September and the only reason I haven't given any feedback is because everything seemed good ( obviously minus little kinks here and there that I knew my beloved Blizzard was going to fix ) now I come back, the cube and the caldron are gone ( both said where there to prevent people from having to go back to town over and over, I guess they wanted us to go back... whatever thats fine ) and then the skills are messed up... Why have a Role Playing Game where you can't even build your character SLIGHTLY how you want it?
Great idea! Love it... Again, why only level 60?

Back in Diablo 2, many areas had a fixed amount of champions and uniques, pre-determined by the game files, at an increasing number according to difficulty. I'm not sure if it's still like that in D3, but I think people will just figure out areas where there is a bigger chance of finding champions which happen to be close to bosses.

The system is good at preventing skill swapping, but bad at preventing people from finding sweet farming spots and running them over and over. There will still be the D3-equivalent of "Meph run" and people farming them over and over.

We don't have any idea how the later stages play out yet. All we have is the first part of act 1....
Is it still the design intent to have the best quality loot drop from rare and champion pack mobs and not bosses? Or does the implementation of Nephalem Valor shift the focus toward boss runs while maximizing your NV uptime/stack?
NICE!!! :- D

I can see two solutions here which should work together to avoid this (which I have already posted, but hey, that wont stop me):

1) Let the buff stack over longer time. That way people cant just kill elites for 5 minutes before killing the boss. Let it take hours and 50+ elite kills to max the buff (but make each kill increase the buff less and less).

2) Let it only work for a specific boss once!
If you want the effect on a boss again you will have to go find a new boss instead.
When the buff reset and you build it up again, then you can go back to the previous boss and benefit of course.

As a bonus, these two solution will allow Blizzard to make the buff stay even though you log out (and thus not penalizing people with short play-time sessions).