Is *Anyone* Happy About Runes on Rails?

General Discussion
Prev 1 30 31 32 51 Next
03/30/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Azidonis

I thought Inferno was supposed to be the same difficulty throughout, with the same drops.

You think you are going to be on Inferno within a week? You are delusional.

What are you talking about? Bashiok was talking about difficulties and suggested that Act 2 would take longer than Act 1. I was asking how that jibes with all Inferno being roughly the same difficulty meaning you could run all of it for top level drops not just the last of the last Act.
[quote]Didn't the D2 HC players have to experience the same skill progression every time they replayed? it wasn't like they could try out a level 30 skill a few levels in.

Not really, with each subsequent reroll, there would always be some different path to choose, different than the first time. With runes on rails, your experience is the same. Every. Single. Time.
The more I hear Blizzard's official responses to fan concerns the more I truly believe they are out of touch with what makes games fun...
03/30/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Sollan
Didn't the D2 HC players have to experience the same skill progression every time they replayed? it wasn't like they could try out a level 30 skill a few levels in.

No but they had the functionality of a skill long before it was maximized by having 20 points in it; i.e., they had the actual ability they wanted to use long before they were trudging through Hell.

More to the point, they could CHANGE which abilities they wanted for each playthrough. That is no longer an option.
03/30/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Azidonis

Not really, with each subsequent reroll, there would always be some different path to choose, different than the first time. With runes on rails, your experience is the same. Every. Single. Time.

Riiiight.

So tell me, how many different "paths" you chose when making your godly hc char? How many builds did you end up with when you hit say, level 90?

There are very few viable builds in D2.

If you are talking about hc leveling with Tokens at your disposal, then you are missing the point.

Min/Maxing vs not having a choice are still two different things. Though you're right that almost anyone (especially in HC) will want to Min/Max, the first play throughs when D2 came out didn't have any of this theorycraft available, meaning people did their own experimentation, which is now gone.
Just because inferno puts all the monsters at the same level, hp, damage, doesn't mean that it will be just as easy in act 4 as it is in act 2. This is because monsters in later acts have different, more difficult mechanics. And it wouldn't be fun or make sense to give every monster the same mechanic to make it perfectly balanced.
03/30/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Bruin
It's going to be hilarious when the forums are FLOODED with QQ posts after release from tons of self-declared "expert" players whining about how the higher difficulties "aren't fair", "are cheap", etc..

I can't wait to see this happen, lol
03/30/2012 10:41 AMPosted by MaiPokehmanz
The more I hear Blizzard's official responses to fan concerns the more I truly believe they are out of touch with what makes games fun...

Then play games from another developer?

Nobody is forcing you to play Blizzard games...

There are a plethora of Diablo 2 clones coming out this year: Titan Quest 2, Path of the Exile, Grim Dawn, etc

Maybe play these instead?
03/30/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Marffeus
[quote]Didn't the D2 HC players have to experience the same skill progression every time they replayed? it wasn't like they could try out a level 30 skill a few levels in.

Well just with mucking around with the WD in the beta I had a skill combo going that I liked, spiders and eels with zombie dogs and that leech intelligence skill (forget the name). this was great did about 10 PUG runs, was having a blast, then i decided to use some skills I hadn't used before so I loaded up frogs and bats with Z-dogs and z-dog explosion, guess what, had just as much fun, liked it just as much and the combo wasn't gimped vs the other combo, I'm sure I could make up more combo's that I liked as well for subsequent play throughs, this is great because it can be. Different. Every. Single. Time.
03/30/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Sophex
I love you bashiok.

The brown-nosers are out in full force today.
03/30/2012 10:22 AMPosted by D3BETA
Bash is such a troll, sometimes. He conveniently sidestepped some of the OP's most poignant points.

Care to give an example? I think he was very considerate to do such an exhaustive point by point break down of the OP's grievances.

Also, I'd really have to disagree that finding a rune that increases ONE skills power by 5% is as awesome as finding a Windforce. Just as in Diablo 2, there are certain items you find that can blow the game wide open for you. (I know it's happened for me.) Comparatively, hitting that next level and putting another skill point in Blizzard, which is essentially the system you're advocating for, is not quite the same effect.

03/30/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Azidonis
People seem to think they will just plug and chug whatever skillset is the flavor of the month and forget about it. It does not work that way in the beta, and it will not work that way on live.

Very true. Even within the beta, we have people saying, DH is lame, just use Hungering Arrow forever. While I'm over here having fun with Caltrops, Entangling Shot, and Impale.
03/30/2012 11:08 AMPosted by D3BETA

The brown-nosers are out in full force today.

Haters and white knights are two sides of the same coin.

White knights defend every decision of blizzard. That is not the case here. This statement is %100 brown-nose.