I had a thought about the Butcher.

Lore and Story
Supposedly the Butcher is the final boss of Act 1. However I had a thought concerning him and it comes from playing the beta.

I think the butcher possessed and gained control of Lachdanan.

I am not sure if anyone's thought of this and I haven't done a search for it so sorry if they have. My line of reasoning is broken down like this:

Lachdanan states his story of being sent to war and the connection between Lazarus and Leoric

He then goes to state upon his return killing the king to save his men

When he tried to bury his king honorable his king returned as the Skeleton King and killed his men and cursing Lachdanan

Lachdanan states he must travel deeper into the labyrinth to protect tristram from the evil that claws at him from the inside.

While we did "kill" the butcher his curse could be to continually revive and become the butcher. Anyways just a thought.
While that's an interesting thought, its unfortunately false. The Butcher is his own type of demon from hell.

As you stated in your 2nd to last point, Lachdanan traverses deeper into the Cathedral in an attempt to save Tristram. However, his curse overcomes him and he becomes a Hell Knight.

In Diablo 1, you help free him from his curse around level 14 or 15 (I can't remember which one, exactly) and allow his soul to ascend to Heaven in peace.
"He (Inarius) and his followers eventually came to be known as the Overlords. Many of them rose among the ranks of Hell to command huge armies and wreck havoc on the Forces of Light. Besides being blood-thirsty warriors, they were skilled craftsmen and one of them, Hephasto, is the Armorer of Hell."

"To this day, Inarius is said to be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form for all eternity. His misguided followers now serve as Hell’s taskmasters, taking the anguish of their lost glory out upon the bodies of others."

From diablo wiki on Inarius and Overlords. I'm thinking maybe the lore will be twisted in some way to show that Inarius is actually indeed the Butcher. Maybe? haha would make more sense to have the Butcher as an Act boss if he was indeed the fallen angel
Inarius is too important of a character to make him the Butcher.

If he is in Diablo 3, he will play a more significant roll than that, the Butcher is more so a throw back, because he is what most people remember the most in Diablo 1.
Inarius is too important of a character to make him the Butcher.

If he is in Diablo 3, he will play a more significant roll than that, the Butcher is more so a throw back, because he is what most people remember the most in Diablo 1.

^ I agree. Inarius was originally a part of the Angiris Council before his betrayal. While the idea of him being the Butcher may be novel, it wouldn't fit in with lore.

Also agree with the fact that the Butcher was a very memorable character from the first Diablo game. He was by far much scarier than any other demon in the game (aside from maybe Diablo himself) that most people would run into since he's only on the 5th floor.
I agree. Inarius was originally a part of the Angiris Council before his betrayal. While the idea of him being the Butcher may be novel, it wouldn't fit in with lore.

Yeah, it was Inarius and Lilith who got down, and made the Nephalem in the first place.

Inarius is also responsible for the creation of Sanctuary.

It was also Inarius who created the world stone to hide us from the Angels and the Demons.

He has also been missing, we don't know where he is.

I would be damn surprised if he didn't show up in Diablo 3 at some point.
Yeah true. I still think that the butcher is too trivial to be the first act boss...
04/03/2012 03:04 PMPosted by KconJ
Yeah true. I still think that the butcher is too trivial to be the first act boss...

I feel the same way.

While I think it will be cool seeing him redone in D3, I don't think he deserved to be an ACT boss.

He was pretty insignificant in Diablo 1, regardless of everyone remembering him as the favorite encounter, you were already done him by the end of the 2nd floor.

I think he should be pretty cool, but is he worthy of being an ACT end boss? I guess we will find out.
How can The Butcher be the boss of an entire act? There were many demons like him. You could find other "Overlords", demons that look like him only without an apron, at around the last level of the catacombs and then everywhere in the caves.

http://www.diablowiki.com/images/c/c8/Overlord_%28Diablo_I%29.gif

He has no lore at all. He just scared everyone of us to death. :)
The only reason why he was so "strong" was because he didn't "belong" in lvl 2 of the cathedral.

The Skeleton-king, a guy with so much lore, is not the boss of Act1, so why should The Butcher be the Act1 boss? The SK is just that much stronger than The Butcher. That has already been the case in D1. It won't change in D3.
Since it is assumed Imperius is evil and in the game somewhere it would make sense that inarius might be working with him, so we might see them together or close by in the game (act 4) somewhere.
i also hope that lachdanan is a mini-boss deep in the cathedral.
04/04/2012 11:09 AMPosted by D3BETA
i also hope that lachdanan is a mini-boss deep in the cathedral.

Although he was cursed, he never was a bad guy. In D1, we encountered him in the depths of the cathedral and basically helped him with curing his curse.
04/03/2012 02:39 PMPosted by randomtask
It was also Inarius who created the world stone to hide us from the Angels and the Demons.
Well, he stole the Worldstone from the Pandemonium Fortess, and used its power to create Sanctuary.

He has also been missing, we don't know where he is.
He's in Hell, imprisoned by Mephisto. He was one of the "terms" of the Truce Agreement between Heaven and Hell after the Sin War. Heaven gave him to Mephisto whom in turn imprisoned and tortured him. One legend talks of him having his flesh flayed open in a room of mirrors, but this is just a legend. At present we presume he's still trapped somewhere in Mephisto's realm in Hell, but don't know for certain.

I would be damn surprised if he didn't show up in Diablo 3 at some point.
He'd likely have to be freed, but that's not beyond possibility.

04/03/2012 01:41 PMPosted by D3BETA
Inarius was originally a part of the Angiris Council before his betrayal.
Actually (and I was corrected on this myself) he was an Adviser to the Council, but not on the Council itself.
04/04/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Lõri
Actually (and I was corrected on this myself) he was an Adviser to the Council, but not on the Council itself.

Yea, my apologies. I realized later I was confusing Inarius with Izual for whatever reason. Inarius was an Adviser and Izual is a fallen Angiris Council member (encountered in D2:A4).
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/artwork/ss20-hires.jpg

This picture can maybe be interpreted as Inarius's torture chamber :D