loot system questions?

Items and Crafting
I am only slightly confused about the way the loot system works in multiplayer.

Basically from what i can tell is that items and gold drop and if you can see it, its yours. You wont be able to see items and gold that drop for other players. This is what i understand the loot system to be.

However, if it is like that, then why is there such a strange system involving magic find? Couldnt the drops for your player only depend on your magic find?
Potentially underpowered players stacking MF% can be carried/leech
hence, the main carrier with survival+damage doing the majority of the killing gets some of the average

this avg is to help minimize tension when throwing random people together,

this way there is less motivation to stack mf% selfishly, jumping around game-to-game hoping for people to carry you a little..

minimizes bad-egg syndrome from ruining bnet, somewhat.
So i take it my understanding of the loot system is correct then? The loot and gold that you can see drop is not seen by other players and is yours?
04/09/2012 07:43 PMPosted by Brathearon
So i take it my understanding of the loot system is correct then? The loot and gold that you can see drop is not seen by other players and is yours?

That is correct. The only exception is if you pick something up and then drop it again. Then other players can see it and grab it, which can be a quick way to offer other people things you don't need.

Also, Korba's explanation of magic find was correct. Since everyone's fighting power helps everyone else get more loot (in quantity of drops, which comes from quantity of kills), now everyone's magic find helps make everyone's loot a little bit better.