Windows Xp 64bit

General Discussion
Since I can't post in the Tech forum.

Its "XP" so why would I get the system requirements error? I really hope this is just a issue with the installer and not going to reflect on installing the actual game.
I've tried every "solved" case that has been posted an nothing works.
I enjoy my OS and really hope I don't need to waste the money to buy a new OS just to be able to play D3. =\
XP needs SP3 to play D3. XP 64 bit doesn't have SP3. So it's probably an oversight and will be fixed... but what do I know.
64-bit XP was like a beta product. I doubt you'll find a good work around other than going to 32 bit version or moving to a modern product
Do some search :P
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427705606
Think they will fix it by May 5th.

edit: also
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229374252

I only skim through it, hope this help.
I'd SO get rid of XP 64bit! It is a buggy mess that never panned out and broke in all kinds of ridiculously annoying ways. At least M$ fixed Vista with SP1 - XP 64bit they swept under the carpet and left it there to stagnate. I've tried to put it to use professionally for a long time and it never panned out.

Save yourself a monumental headache and nab a copy of Win7 64bit Pro/Ult. Seriously - you'll be doing yourself a massive favor and you'll love the change. I was a stoic XP fan and I love Win7 - I can't say this enough.

Yeah, kinda struck a nerve. I don't like seeing anyone else feel that kind of pain! ;o)
Well thanks for the responses guys. Come release date I guess I'll have to decide to switch to win7, But I really haven't had any issues with xp64 so I've never had a reason to complain till now.
You shoulda upgraded to Win7-64bit when it was available as a $49.99 upgrade from XP.
Windows XP 64 is far superior over windows vista or windows 7 for that matter. I did some major testing in both OS's heres some facts.

Windows XP 64 boot up with 16 GB - Mem in use all drivers loaded - 200 megs
Windows 7 64 bit 16 GB memory - Uses 1.2 gigs of ram

Windows XP 64 32 bit apps can address up to 8 gigs of ram where in windows 7 it can only handle 2 gb of ram.

Reason why it was taken off the market vista took 5 years to program and it was a mess the engineers at MS made xp64 as a example of how stable a os could be. It was so good because it was immune to 32 bit virus's and root kits. The antivirus companys complained.
I'm working on getting it to work in XP64. I have windows 7 installed on a few machines at home also ghost loads of my main. I can get it installed and working in windows 7. I working on moving it over to XP64 for it to work.
save urself the pain. go to 7 x64.
They will be forced to upgrade for years.
Would just upgrade to 7, which is great. XP64 is a small niche of operating systems, so although I'm a little surprised you're having issues (since this is Blizzard) it's not a total shocker.
04/20/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Invictae
64-bit XP was like a beta product. I doubt you'll find a good work around other than going to 32 bit version or moving to a modern product

Wrong.

Windows XP 64-bit wasn't very stable because third-party drivers for 64-bit modes were sketchy when XP 64-bit was new.

The OS itself is fine and very stable.

Because of the sketchy driver support I'd really encourage the OP to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit.

05/17/2012 07:26 AMPosted by Lycanwolfen
Windows XP 64 is far superior over windows vista or windows 7 for that matter.

And no, Windows XP 64-bit is not superior to Windows 7 64-bit. Sure, it may have a smaller memory footprint, but that really doesn't matter in this day and age with insanely high memory configs. XP is a very old kernel, now pushing 11 years. Updates for it are sparse, if not completely abandoned by Microsoft. You're delusional if you think installing Windows XP 64-bit over Windows 7 64-bit is a wise decision to be recommended to others.
lol XP....
HAHa I love when folks try to defend soon to be grandfathered OS's

"I run it on da windows ME"
Windows XP can not do 32 bit. So basically everything has to be made specifically for XP 64 bit. Hardly anything supports Windows XP 64 bit.
05/17/2012 07:35 AMPosted by ciphernemo
XP is a very old kernel, now pushing 11 years. Updates for it are sparse, if not completely abandoned by Microsoft. You're delusional if you think installing Windows XP 64-bit over Windows 7 64-bit is a wise decision to be recommended to others.

I can't agree more with this user. I used XP 64 bit when it came out and I loved the system, I had top end hardware so drivers weren't an issue and I ended up duel booting with it and Vista for a year or so.

But holding on to it now is not a wise choice. I don't think they declared it dead yet (no longer supporting) but they will in a year and using an old operating system is a big danger, as security has improved over the last two operating systems.
Works fine in XP 64 just make sure you have the secondary logon set to manual in services D3 works fine after that.
Well got d3 working in xp64 160 fps over windows 7 64 with 80 to 90 fps. Yes it has a small footprint for memory but it least it doesn't have the huge memory leaks like windows 7 64 bit has. goto you task manager some day and look at free memory enjoy its at zero most of the time. Windows 7 does not release memory back to free once its used.

ALso 7 has some administrator problems in 64 bit I love it when a program makes a folder and you try and delete it and it says access deined and your the administrator. To gain access i have to reboot the computer guess MS screwed uptimes