Secondary class stats?

General Discussion
I think assigning a primary damage stat (str, int, dex) to each class is a great way to keep basic planning for gear simple. Though I am curious how, if at all, this will play out during endgame with either a monk/demon hunter(sharing dex) or witch doctor/wizard(sharing int). I'm wondering if in either scenario the classes sharing the primary stat will have clear secondary stats to help set the gear apart as a better choice for each class.

For example, if I have both a wizard and witch doctor and for all intents and purposes they make use of identical int gear and I'm busy trying to min/max on each character, then I would be better off maintaining one set of shared armor that I just drop off at my shared stash before logging out each time I plan on switching characters. Only one set to maintain gems and most armor pieces.

However, if my wizard benefits from some secondary stats more so than my witch doctor and vice versa, well now I do have a clear path to maintaining separate sets unique to each class. And when I get that shiny new max level rare from my blacksmith I might be able to tell if it favors either class more.

I don't really have any complaints about either example, just speculating how it will impact planning for gear among my characters. What effects would it have on the auction house economy if there are essentially 3 pools of armor spread across the 5 classes? In theory more demand for int and dex compared to str (2-2-1 ratio), yet equal supply for gear if item stats are prioritized equally (1-1-1 ratio). Cheaper to play a barbarian? Obviously not enough information available yet to make any clear judgements.

What do you think?
I think assigning a primary damage stat (str, int, dex) to each class is a great way to keep basic planning for gear simple. Though I am curious how, if at all, this will play out during endgame with either a monk/demon hunter(sharing dex) or witch doctor/wizard(sharing int). I'm wondering if in either scenario the classes sharing the primary stat will have clear secondary stats to help set the gear apart as a better choice for each class.

For example, if I have both a wizard and witch doctor and for all intents and purposes they make use of identical int gear and I'm busy trying to min/max on each character, then I would be better off maintaining one set of shared armor that I just drop off at my shared stash before logging out each time I plan on switching characters. Only one set to maintain gems and most armor pieces.

However, if the my wizard benefits from some secondary stats more so than my witch doctor and vice versa, well now I do have a clear path to maintaining separate sets unique to each class. And when I get that shiny new max level rare from my blacksmith I might be able to tell if it favors either class more.

I don't really have any complaints about either example, just speculating how it will impact planning for gear among my characters. What effects would it have on the auction house economy if there are essentially 3 pools of armor spread across the 5 classes? In theory more demand for int and dex compared to str (2-2-1 ratio), yet equal supply for gear if item stats are prioritized equally (1-1-1 ratio). Cheaper to play a barbarian? Obviously not enough information available yet to make any clear judgements.

What do you think?

The stats you want on your gear, will depend on what you plan on doing. Some gear may even work for both your Wiz and Barb. Remember that all primary stats give some benefit to every toon. (in fact some pieces of gear have +all stats)
There was some alluding to +skill modifiers. Probably would work by a % "+15% Bash Damage". That would give something other than the core stats to look for.
toon.

please don't bring that term to diablo ;)
Wow, I really scanned the posts too quickly to have caught that. /shivver
Vit will be secondary stat for ALL characters.

After that, the other 2 remaining stats will add to the character in other ways (that are still significant).
In Beta, I picked up some tri-stat gear. For my Barb, I had yellow shoulders with +12 str, +11 Vit, and +8 Int. The Int didn't do much good, but it did add to all my resistances, so it wasn't "wasted".
A +resist all stat would have probably been better, but that's not available in the beta for comparison.
04/25/2012 11:14 AMPosted by digibucc
toon.

please don't bring that term to diablo ;)

Who cares? Toon, Character, Avatar, whatever....you know what he means.

Anyway I believe there will be plenty of other things to consider when gearing beside just str, dex, int. There will be some people doing more crit based builds, some focusing on vitality and thorns damage, some with skill modifiers.

You have to take what skills you plan on using and kind of experiment and go from there. If you just stack int on both your wizard and witch doctor you may be disappointed with your results.
I think the points about having to match your gear to your preferred skills make a lot of sense. Definitely seems if you pick a bunch of "on critical hit" type skills/runes then stacking crit seems very attractive. Those types of scenarios go on and on which is why I love how deep the combinations can get. The comment about specific skill modifiers seems cool too. Definitely clear cut class benefits there.

I fully expect the types of gear sets needed will change drastically when progressing to each difficulty level too. Who knows what Inferno will require us to stack or balance to complete.
What other types of sets did you throw together during open beta? I had a weaker attempt at +gold while I did some runs for blacksmith leveling. I didn't get a chance to experiment with other stacking though I know at low levels the differences would've been marginal anyways.