Tyrael vs. Imperius

Lore and Story
Imperius is obviously getting his @$$ kicked by Tyrael in the new TV spot for Diablo 3. If you watch closely, Tyrael can be seen weilding and thrusting Imperius's Spear of Valor, Solarion, into Imperius himself.

Possibly Tyrael is corrupt after destroying the World Stone and convinces the player (us) to help him kill Imperius or Imperius wants to destroy Sanctuary and the Nephalem and Tyrael tries to stop him.

Discuss.
That was my immediate thought also, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions. I was surprised to see Tyrael as an angel still to be honest.

I'm fairly sure that of the two options you listed, it would definitely be the latter. Imperius has had it out for humanity since The Sin War. Tyrael went out of his way to hide the fact that perhaps saving humanity wasn't such a good idea from The High Heavens for so long, but undoubtedly did the destruction of the Worldstone open their eyes to the events that have been occurring and called for the Angris Council to reconsider.
"And in the end of days, wisdom shall be lost
As justice falls upon the world of men.
Valor shall turn to wrath
And hope will be swallowed by despair.
Death at last shall spread its wings over all
As fate lies shattered forever."

Sounds to me like Tyreal gets cast out of heaven and Imperious finally decides to take matters into his own hands and kill the nephilim once and for all. Note Tyreal and Imperious have been at odds for a while now Imperious wanted to kill the Nephilim and Tyreal was basically the swing vote however had a change of heart and voted to spare us... Also If you did see tyreal using Imperious' spear against him that may make sense as Tyreal's sword is not able to harm the righteous and Imperious is still acting 'righteously' by trying to exterminate the humans... It is actually Tyreal that is acting out of character by helping us, again he saw the capacity for good in humans and so had a change of heart even though his code said we should have died...
04/30/2012 01:37 AMPosted by Doggir
Also If you did see tyreal using Imperious' spear against him that may make sense as Tyreal's sword is not able to harm the righteous and Imperious is still acting 'righteously' by trying to exterminate the humans...
Tyrael doesn't have El'druin. It was thrown across Sanctuary when the Worldstone was destroyed and is in the possession of a young man named Jacob.
Who's Jacob?
I think Blizzard showed it that way to make everyone THINK that was Tyreal besting Imperious. If you look at the video at around :10 seconds u see Imperious falling backwards as if being hit, then they shows Diablo making a fist and punching something, then they show Tyreal thrusting that spear, also in there is the Gates being shattered.

Im thinking they did it that way to seem as if it happens a certain way when in fact I think its the opposite way. Diablo confronts the Gates and Encounters Imperious !! They fight and Diablo wins hence this desktop --->

http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/media/wallpapers/wallpaper009/wallpaper009-800x600.jpg

and the Heavens shall Tremble !!! We come to the Gates to find and assault Diablo and Tyreal is there in battle with big D , and he too falls, leaving us to save all humanity once again ...

Cant wait to see this all unfold....
04/30/2012 01:40 AMPosted by Pixel
Also If you did see tyreal using Imperious' spear against him that may make sense as Tyreal's sword is not able to harm the righteous and Imperious is still acting 'righteously' by trying to exterminate the humans...
Tyrael doesn't have El'druin. It was thrown across Sanctuary when the Worldstone was destroyed and is in the possession of a young man named Jacob.

Still need to read that comic... but I don't think the comic has ended correct? If so (and I think this is where they are going with it) Tyreal still has time to get his sword back b4 the events of d3. I only said what i said because Imperious as far as I know is still righteous it is actually Tyreal who is breaking character by siding with humanity. Either way we don't know yet what happens to his sword in the end (unless I'm mistaken and the comic ended, but even then Tyreal can still get the sword back during d3, maybe we help him get it back)

I think Blizzard showed it that way to make everyone THINK that was Tyreal besting Imperious. If you look at the video at around :10 seconds u see Imperious falling backwards as if being hit, then they shows Diablo making a fist and punching something, then they show Tyreal thrusting that spear, also in there is the Gates being shattered.

Im thinking they did it that way to seem as if it happens a certain way when in fact I think its the opposite way. Diablo confronts the Gates and Encounters Imperious !! They fight and Diablo wins hence this desktop --->

http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/media/wallpapers/wallpaper009/wallpaper009-800x600.jpg

and the Heavens shall Tremble !!! We come to the Gates to find and assault Diablo and Tyreal is there in battle with big D , and he too falls, leaving us to save all humanity once again ...

Cant wait to see this all unfold....

Except we are given hints that lead us to think that Imperious will be an Antagonist..

"And Valor shall turn to wrath"

Tyreal and Imperious have been at odds because Imperious has wanted us dead from the get go...
04/30/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Doggir
Tyreal and Imperious have been at odds because Imperious has wanted us dead from the get go...

Yea I know but I think its too obvious, thats why there has to be a plot twist. I think Imperious is out to destroy the denizens of Sanctuary at first but I think he'll finally realise that Tyreal is right and then when Diablo assaults the gate he realises his mistake too late.

Im hoping for an epic battle cutscene with Diablo, Tyreal , and Imperious breaks out..

I can wish cant I ??

=)
04/30/2012 08:51 AMPosted by Barricade
Who's Jacob?

He's the main protagonist in the DC Comics Diablo mini-series. Its a 5-issue collection that should be ending pretty soon, now that I think about it...

The series is called Diablo: Sword of Justice. In case you're wondering.
Tyrael is just making sure that there's a literal stick up Imperious !@# to go with the figurative one.
I would strongly suspect that Tyrael and Imperius are having a long overdue throwdown. They've been at odds with each other ever since the Sin War.

What I find interesting is that Tyrael was able to acquire Solarion at all. Here's a bit of history about it from The Book of Cain.

In speaking of Imperius' exploits, I must also mention Solarion, the Spear of Valor. Legend tells that the archangel forged this weapon in the heart of a dying star. I have heard it described as an extension of his immutable will, powerful enough to sunder Hell's mightiest raparts with a single righteous strike. During one of Imeperius' invasions of the Burning Hells, it is written that Solarion felled so many demons that rivers of blood flowed throughout the realms of the seven Evils.

I should note here that Imperius does not carry the spear at his side at all times. Rather, he summons it from on high as a lance of blinding light that then manifests as a physical spear in his hand.
imperius was being dragged away by a force not a being

looked like the diamond gates of heaven get shattered too
04/30/2012 01:01 AMPosted by Enyx
Imperius is obviously getting his @$$ kicked by Tyrael in the new TV spot for Diablo 3. If you watch closely, Tyrael can be seen weilding and thrusting Imperius's Spear of Valor, Solarion, into Imperius himself.

Well as of today there is another TV spot. Tyrael is thrusting the spear into something in heaven, like the gate or a rune or something. Imperius is shown fighting big D as well as shoving Tyrael away with both hands on his weapon.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/01/diablo-3-tv-spot-exclusive-video/
05/01/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Kez

Well as of today there is another TV spot. Tyrael is thrusting the spear into something in heaven, like the gate or a rune or something. Imperius is shown fighting big D as well as shoving Tyrael away with both hands on his weapon.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/01/diablo-3-tv-spot-exclusive-video/

Seems Imperius is fighting against Tyriel and Diablo ....
Latest TV spot looks like Tyrael is able to wrench from Imperius' grasp that spear and use it to smash a seal/gate or whatever. Imperius vs. Diablo is really interesting b/c we never really see the "heavies" of the two armies ever duke it out.

If Tyrael indeed is taking the spear from Imperious by force, one has to wonder about his motives. Perhaps Tyrael now sees the High Heavens as as much of a threat as the Burning Hells and is actively trying to bring them down as well?

Tyrael, in his fight for humanity, betrays his own kind and creates a crack in the High Heavens for the Burning Hells to exploit, essentially bringing both sides into the conflict. He's cast out for his actions (understandably) but the deed has been done: the High Heavens are now vulnerable and the Lesser Evils (and Diablo!) know it. I imagine Tyrael is playing all three sides, then. He wants the Burning Hells and High Heavens to impale themselves on each other so that humanity has a fighting chance against the victor. Tyrael is still the "good guy" (from humanity's perspective) but he's a traitor to the High Heavens and still an enemy of Hell. This seems to fit Blizzard's penchant for loving anti-heroes.
This.

We see Tyriel use Solarion on something at the end of TV spot.
We see Tyriel fight Imperius.
We see Imperius fight Diablo also.

Let's asume, if Imperius got Tyriel , Tyriel wouldnt be able to use Solarion to destroy what ever he destroyed at the end of Tv spot. And there is no chanse Tyriel took it before they fough, cause Solarion is bound to Imperius, and he summons it before fight.
If Diablo Killed Imperius , Imperius wouldnt be able to fight Tyriel after ...
So logicly Imperius somehow delt( killed, banshed) Diablo and then Tyriel came to fight Imperius
so Tyriel took solarion from him after he killed Imperius, but still we saw how strong is Imperius in this Tv spot which is unlikely to happend...

Also we see Imperius use Solarion against Diablo, so Imperius against Tyriel fight must happend after Imperius diablo fight...
The Imperius vs Diablo fight could be from the 100% reveal cinematic, which showcases a defining moment in the eternal conflict, we'll know in 21% more!
05/01/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Darken
The Imperius vs Diablo fight could be from the 100% reveal cinematic, which showcases a defining moment in the eternal conflict, we'll know in 21% more!

The Diablo figure in the fight has the "female" characteristics that have been associated with him/her in Diablo 3, which makes me think they fight in the game and is not a look into the past. I can't wait to see Imperius and Diablo fight!
04/30/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Hellswraith

I can wish cant I ??

=)

You say that like that's not what is going to happen, regardless of how blasted in our face the information is.