Tempest Rush build

Monk
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bcjigQ!ZYc!cYbYcZ

Simple idea.

1. Cast Circular Breathing - Healing, 5 Spirit per second.
2. Cast Air Ally - AoE, 2% chance to gain 100 Spirit. (Essentially 2 Spirit per second on average)
3. Cast Inner Storm - AoE, 3 Spirit per second while charged.

You are building an average of 10 Spirit per second.

Build up Foresight to increase your damage by 18% for 30 Seconds.

Cast Tempest Rush and Run Around. You should have enough Spirit Generation to keep it going for a while (After all, the channeling cost is 10 Spirit, the same amount you generate).

You will have insane healing per second on you, 50% damage reduction, a ton of AoE. If you are taking heavy damage or being CC'd, turn Serenity on for even more AoE and Immunity.

Against single targets spam your generator and dump your spirit on Mantra of Healing every 3 seconds to gain constant HP.

For a more offensive build, switch the passive Resolve for The Guardian's Path, use Two-Handed weapons and replace Mystic Ally for the skill of choice. If you are in a group/don't want to use Two-Hander, could also switch Tempest Rush's rune with Northern Breeze and replace Mystic Ally.
05/06/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Hadel
For a more offensive build, switch the passive Resolve for The Guardian's Path, use Two-Handed weapons and replace Mystic Ally for the skill of choice. If you are in a group/don't want to use Two-Hander, could also switch Tempest Rush's rune with Northern Breeze and replace Mystic Ally.

Close to the TR build I am planning.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aicfgQ!ZYd!aYZaZZ

I keep the Resolve and replaced Resonance with Gaurdian's Path. Item spirit generation will give us sustainable TR.

Serenity -> Cyclone Strike -> When Serenity explodes -> TR for the knockback

or just:

Cyclone Strike -> TR (knockback) -> Cyclone Strike -> TR (knockback)

Like a yo-yo.
Why?

I noticed is that monk skills aren't for damage. I don't see how you would kill anything with a tempest rush build...

Good luck to ya.

Close to the TR build I am planning.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aicfgQ!ZYd!aYZaZZ

I keep the Resolve and replaced Resonance with Gaurdian's Path. Item spirit generation will give us sustainable TR.

Serenity -> Cyclone Strike -> When Serenity explodes -> TR for the knockback

or just:

Cyclone Strike -> TR (knockback) -> Cyclone Strike -> TR (knockback)

Like a yo-yo.

That is great, I didn't have a look at spirit generation from items, but the more we get the more I can replace spirit gen for more offense. Which items give Spirit Gen? I am afraid only fist weapons will (Which aren't 2H)

Remember the Knockback on Tempest Rush isn't big at all, it's just a nudge. That strategy would probably work better with Lashing Tail Kick. Something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WZgifk!Ycd!cacYZa
05/06/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Hadel
That is great, I didn't have a look at spirit generation from items, but the more we get the more I can replace spirit gen for more offense. Which items give Spirit Gen? I am afraid only fist weapons will (Which aren't 2H)

The following is from Data Mining beta, so ofc it could he totally wrong.

Spirit per second: Helm(spirit stone), Fist weapons, Diabo
Max: is 2.5 per sec. So with helm and two fist max is 7.5. With Helm and Diabo max is 5.0
http://www.d3inferno.com/affixes/SpiritRegen_10.html

There are other resource generators like Resource on Hit, on Kill, on Crit. But none of those appear for Spirit, only Mana and Arcane power.
The lower level version's can also appear on armor and jewelry according to datamining.

http://www.d3inferno.com/affixes/SpiritRegen_8.html
Also according to the same datamining site the tempest rush skill enhancement can only appear on 2 handers
http://www.d3inferno.com/affixes/Skill_Monk_TempestRush_8.html

Looking forward to a spirit gen build.
Technically you can have up to 2.17 on anything (rings, amulets, any piece of armor, etc), and 2.5 on Daibo and Helm.

So yeah, you might get enough Spirit Regen to keep Tempest Rush going only from items. That is awesome.
this build lacks dmg.
05/07/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Hadad
Why on earth would you want a build like this? Just randomly running around holding 1 skill in for reduced damage capability, reduced survivability and reduce skill. Somebody plays too much WoW and wants the game to play for them.

Says the guy with the level 85 WoW account?

05/07/2012 03:04 PMPosted by Kydured
this build lacks dmg.

Hmmm, it has damage, it just isn't a big damage focused build. What you are basically saying when you say it doesn't have damage is that Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind aren't viable skills, which honestly is a load of BS.

In what world doing constant 124% Weapon Damage a second with a Two-Hander while healing the whole party and heavily debufing and slowing enemies while being extremely tanky isn't a good idea.

You will be more than pulling your own weight.
here is my build that involves tempest rush, i centered it around mobility/closing in. with the teleport rune on fists of thunder, dashing strike, and tempest rush. notice the level requirement on the build, that had an effect on a lot of the choices i made. as i dont see the point in making a build that requires level 60 when i wont be able to complete it until way late in the game when a build like this would not be effective (inferno).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adciXh!bXd!aaZaaa
here is my build that involves tempest rush, i centered it around mobility/closing in. with the teleport rune on fists of thunder, dashing strike, and tempest rush. notice the level requirement on the build, that had an effect on a lot of the choices i made. as i dont see the point in making a build that requires level 60 when i wont be able to complete it until way late in the game when a build like this would not be effective (inferno).

I don't think there are individual skills that absolutely aren't viable in Inferno. If there are, there will be patches fixing them. Now, there will be builds that aren't viable, but every skill can find their place in a build.

Also, having a build before level 60 is silly. It is time to test your skills, you have no drawback from doing so. The whole notion of having a "level 30 build" isn't smart. My build leveling up will basically be: Whichever skills I just got the previous level + the stuff I like so far.
Id take northern wind to have unending run but thats just me
so I've been playing around with this build for a while, I use seize the initiative for an armor buff but resolve makes a lot more sense.

for skills I use serenity, breath of heaven with dmg buff, air ally mantra of healing with circular breathing, and im debating even having a spirit generating attack. im thinking blinding light with the dmg buff and of course tempest rush and use reduce dmg while running.

with items and mantra im at just over 10.5 spirit per second and I'm pretty sure the skill guide fro tempest rush is wrong because i run out of spirit while channeling even with northern breeze when i should be getting 3 per second or .5 respectively. so with that said i need more static spirit regen lol.

oh and I think sweeping wind isn't worth the initial spirit cost of 75 and that's just through the testing ive been done.
It seems as though you don't passively generate spirit when you are using spirit. I just spent some money on some BS items with as much spirit regen as I could find and boosted my regen up to 13/sec and it still doesn't effect the rate your spirit depletes using the skill. Interesting idea, though.
I personally love Tempest Wind, but it has one HUGE flaw: Rubberbanding. This isn't the skill's fault, but rather Blizzard's fault for not fixing this buggy skill.
05/07/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Hadel
Says the guy with the level 85 WoW account?

WTF is that supposed to mean? Get the feeling these guys with the WoW accounts got the year pass thing and are playing Diablo too?

That single comment basically derailed any type of sense you might have been trying to make.

-Dylen
-twitch.tv/nvdylen
Sorry for dumb question on +Life on spirit spent,
does it work while you're constantly helicoptering with Tempest Rush?
I did this build to get through some parts of Hell difficulty, its INCREDIBLY good for tanking, especially with resolve and slipstream, but the damage is so low that you have to run around for minutes before anything starts dying.

Sorry for dumb question on +Life on spirit spent,
does it work while you're constantly helicoptering with Tempest Rush?

Yes tempest rush hits proc life on hit.

05/06/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Hadel
(After all, the channeling cost is 10 Spirit, the same amount you generate)

Also, tempest rush doesn't use 10 spirit / second, it's 10*weapon speed spirit / s... so it is modified with attack speed as well.

Also, I wouldn't rely too heavily on your air ally for spirit generation.
While using Tempest Rush you regen no spirit, confirm or deny? Build hinges on it.