Black Abyss for Angels?

Lore and Story
Is there a place where angels resurrect? I am assuming they do since they haven't lose yet haha...
I believe they just go to the Abyss no?
05/09/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Doggir
I believe they just go to the Abyss no?

The Black Abyss is somewhere in Hell, so no, it's for Demons only. Heaven has something similar, Angels are born from the Crystal Arch. When they "die," it's extremely uncertain. The only "dead" angel we've encountered has been Izual, who became corrupt, and stayed outside the Pandemonium Fortress (gateway to Hell).
I do not think Angels are reborn.
THIS is a place yet unseen....no angel has ever been dead so far lol
"no angel has been dead so far" so basically the angels just constantly own the demons but the demons respawn too fast for the angels to be productive? I find that hard to believe as well as the fact that if you look in the animated short they just released an angel was killed by the demon and if that angel does not respawn then basically the demons would outman the angels very easily over time
I meant that no Archangel associated with the lore was killed before.
We don't actually know what would happen to them when or if they die.
And the wrath short doesn't explain this as well.
I just don't belieave the souls pop up from nowhere, they are limited and probably respawn due to any unknown fact. And this goes for both angels and devils.

Like described in the lore books, the angels are made of light and sound, they are not living beings at all and i think that is the reason they cannot be dead. After all, they aren't living at first place.
Undead, fallen and some beasts i believe to be corrupted living beings, which were influenced by the greater evils, which are immortals as the angels.
Brunobyof you are just arguing semantics now...and in reality if you were actually to have a realistic story where angels were made of light and sound, they wouldnt talk, they wouldnt look like humans, they wouldnt have wars, etc... all we did was humanize things into a story in a completely nonsensical way so just because they aren't flesh doesn't mean they can't die...and resurrection is a huge part of the Christian faith (which obviously is the whole influence of diablo's story) so I don't see why, if the demons can resurrect, why the angels can't. It only makes logical sense since the angels mirror the demons in every way except for their choices.

And like I said earlier, if there are 1000 angels, and 1000 demons and the demons can't ever die for good but the angels, can...then in literally a few hundred years (which is like a second in the diablo history) would have guaranteed the angel's defeat, especially because each prime evil is more powerful than any single archangel so a prime evil could just *!#@ any angel he comes across
I had asked this in the general discussion forum and it got pretty much ignored. I assume that they are reborn via the Crystal Arch. Because, as Zerocloud explained, they would not be able to keep the conflict eternal if they wouldn't replace their numbers.

Also, the ArchAngels are pretty damn powerful. Imperius was definitely holding his own vs Diablo, and once the others showed up Diablo got captured almost instantly.
I guess it must be the Crystal Arch since that is where they get created, also I wouldn't say Imperius held his own, Diablo obviously didn't want to kill Imperius, the trap was to enrage him and turn him into Wrath, and Diablo let them capture him, IMO he could've probably have killed one or two of them before they killed him
i agree with you guys, but th focus of the topic is: Is there any black abyss for angels?
And i think it doesn't exist. Perhaps we could find a logical way to explain why it doesn't exist, considering the lore stuff. But IMO, the only reason that this abyss doesn't exist for angels is that this is something never speculated before. There are holes in the plot. Parts in the lore which were created without thinking of ALL possible reasons to argue with.
well, just because it hasn't been directly stated yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist, they can whenever they want magically say ooh and heres the place the angels respawn in, I was just trying to see if its justifiable to at least say that there is a logical assumption that there is a black abyss for angels. and ofc take into account we know a LOT more about demons than we do about angels, I used to think Tyrael was the only archangel since they really don't talk about anybody else
i agree with you guys, but th focus of the topic is: Is there any black abyss for angels?
And i think it doesn't exist. Perhaps we could find a logical way to explain why it doesn't exist, considering the lore stuff. But IMO, the only reason that this abyss doesn't exist for angels is that this is something never speculated before. There are holes in the plot. Parts in the lore which were created without thinking of ALL possible reasons to argue with.

Well, I partly agree with you. There definitely isn't a Black Abyss, but its equivalent is the Crystal Arch, as stated by Sixen way up above. This is the 'birthplace' of all angels, Greater and Lesser.

Additionally, just to clarify, not ALL demons are reborn at the Black Abyss. I believe the lore has been rewritten to state that only Greater Demons/Angels are reborn at their respective site (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hence, regular angels and demons die like normal, but Greater beings like the Angiris Council and the Prime/Lesser Evils are sent back to be reborn, hence the continuation of the Eternal War.

Another point, though this is more implied from lore than explicitly stated, is that there are far more demons than angels, but the angels are more powerful in essence. Hence you see way more demons, but on the flip side, you see angels die less. Either way, this a moot point since their 'power' overall balances each other out (which leads to the aspect of Balance, but that's a whole other thread topic :P).

To bring this whole post back around, it's possible that Izual is still being reborn, but there's no way for us to know for sure, since we know that he was corrupt even in death, whether he'd be born at the Crystal Arch or if he'd be 'sentenced' to the Black Abyss. We also currently have no idea as to the 'timeframe' of how long it takes an angel/demon to be reborn. But from how it's explained, it seems to be at random will, outside the control of anyone/anything.

Hope this helps clarify a few things for everyone.
Well, I partly agree with you. There definitely isn't a Black Abyss, but its equivalent is the Crystal Arch, as stated by Sixen way up above. This is the 'birthplace' of all angels, Greater and Lesser.

Additionally, just to clarify, not ALL demons are reborn at the Black Abyss. I believe the lore has been rewritten to state that only Greater Demons/Angels are reborn at their respective site (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hence, regular angels and demons die like normal, but Greater beings like the Angiris Council and the Prime/Lesser Evils are sent back to be reborn, hence the continuation of the Eternal War.

Another point, though this is more implied from lore than explicitly stated, is that there are far more demons than angels, but the angels are more powerful in essence. Hence you see way more demons, but on the flip side, you see angels die less. Either way, this a moot point since their 'power' overall balances each other out (which leads to the aspect of Balance, but that's a whole other thread topic :P).

To bring this whole post back around, it's possible that Izual is still being reborn, but there's no way for us to know for sure, since we know that he was corrupt even in death, whether he'd be born at the Crystal Arch or if he'd be 'sentenced' to the Black Abyss. We also currently have no idea as to the 'timeframe' of how long it takes an angel/demon to be reborn. But from how it's explained, it seems to be at random will, outside the control of anyone/anything.

Hope this helps clarify a few things for everyone.

Thanks for the post, there is no definitive proof that they get reborn at the crystal arch but yeah I'd assume it's there as well. Also I believe that Izual will be reborn as an angel, for two reasons, he is being brought in D3 so I see it redundant for them to make him into a demon again when most people I'm sure want to see his angel form, also in D2 he kept spouting save yourself and when he died he thanked you (if i remember correct), so I think he isn't corrupted, at least not fully anymore...also most lore in this manner usually states that if the corrupted is freed by murder then he is cleansed
05/09/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Zerocloud
Thanks for the post, there is no definitive proof that they get reborn at the crystal arch but yeah I'd assume it's there as well. Also I believe that Izual will be reborn as an angel, for two reasons, he is being brought in D3 so I see it redundant for them to make him into a demon again when most people I'm sure want to see his angel form, also in D2 he kept spouting save yourself and when he died he thanked you (if i remember correct), so I think he isn't corrupted, at least not fully anymore...also most lore in this manner usually states that if the corrupted is freed by murder then he is cleansed

Yea, you're right about Izual thanking you. Still, it is kind of confusing because his literal quote is this:

"Tyrael was a fool to have trusted me! You see, it was I who told Diablo and his brothers about the Soulstones and how to corrupt them. It was I who helped the Prime Evils mastermind their exile to your world. The plan we set in motion so long ago cannot be stopped by any mortal agency. Hell itself is poised to spill forth into your world like a tidal wave of blood and nightmares. You and all your kind...are doomed".

Does this mean he is just telling you what crimes he committed but is thankful to you for freeing him?

Or is he mocking you when you free him and he is gloating about his actions?
Does this mean he is just telling you what crimes he committed but is thankful to you for freeing him?

Or is he mocking you when you free him and he is gloating about his actions?

I think it's the 1st one honestly, he doesn't seem remorseful but neither does he seem like he's gloating so it seems very neutral on purpose, but I'd say the "run away, save yourself" stuff he said previous to dying imply he's no longer fully evil at the least, Blizzard leaves everything super ambiguous which I hate
05/09/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Zerocloud
Blizzard leaves everything super ambiguous which I hate

Lol, crafty on their part. Lets them conveniently come back to it at a later time of their choosing...