Diablo 3 Starter Edition?

General Discussion
So it just noticed I have the starter edition license on my Battle.net account, does that mean I can play up to Leoric (level 13) once the games goes live and then just enter my CE key when I get it and continue the same character?

img: http://i.imgur.com/6kAmf.jpg
Similar thread,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903420608#1

No this does not mean you can play up to level 13, there have been no posts or documentation to support this theory and the theory makes no sense at all. This is not rift or another mmorpg with a head-start, it is what it is.
05/09/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Scarab
there have been no posts or documentation to support this theory and the theory makes no sense at all.

When they accidentally opened the beta for everyone it was because they gave them a Starter Edition license. Even some errors in the beta said Starter Edition, so yeah, the theory does make sense.
I also just noticed I have a Starter Edition linked to my account. Weird. Maybe it's just in preparation for the release? I mean, the Blizzard online store was going through extensive maintenance today. I believe it has something to do with that.
it'll be a great solution for CE buyers..yay!
Great way for us CE buyers to pre-download/pre-install the game and then just pop in our cd code come the day of reckoning
Doubt they are going to release with a starter edition. Doesn't make economic sense.
If only there was a search function...
05/10/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Shadou
Doubt they are going to release with a starter edition. Doesn't make economic sense.

Actually it does if it solves the issue for CE buyers. It'd act as a demo and allow CE buyers to play right away rather than having to wait for their copy while everyone else who got a digital download gets in first.

There's really no economic downsize, except a slightly higher server load.
It says "Standard Edition" for me. I got the free digital Anual Pass version though.
05/10/2012 06:23 AMPosted by Angrysaint

Actually it does if it solves the issue for CE buyers. It'd act as a demo and allow CE buyers to play right away rather than having to wait for their copy while everyone else who got a digital download gets in first.

There's really no economic downsize, except a slightly higher server load.
There is a downside. people don't buy the game at release and just demo the starter edition. Which equals less first week/first day sales.

Typically investors and the financial division want to see those CoD like figures roll for a launch of a triple A title.

I laugh at your "slightly higher server load" remark. If they launch with a free edition the live servers would be crushed immediately and for days, if not weeks following launch. Then these forums would follow suit with all the people coming here to complain about the server.

Starter edition at launch, not going to happen. (not trying to crush your hopes, just trying to keep you grounded so I can potentially see less QQ posts here)
05/10/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Shadou
There is a downside. people don't buy the game at release and just demo the starter edition. Which equals less first week/first day sales.

The people that didn't buy the game at release are the people that weren't gonna buy it on release in the first place.

A starter edition would make sense, new people (non-diablo fans) get to try the game (and buy if afterwards if they liked it), CE owners get to play while they wait for their copies and blizzard gets to test if their hardware can handle the stress and like it should.
Is there a reason why when I go into my Download Games Client there is no Diablo 3 Starter Edition? So I can pre-load the game.
I received a guest pass key for D3 from a friend but the starter edition is nor on my battle.net "download clients" page. Anyone know why?