What is the point of hardcore?

Hardcore
If the only difference is that you die permanently.... what is the point? If it dropped better loot like in D2 than I would understand but this mode is non sense. This mode is only going to create rage, frustration and depression.
Because having a lvl 30 HC character means WAY WAY more to some groups of players than having a account full of 60's with decked out inferno gear.

I would relate it to pride because not everyone can OR would want to play HC.
First thing first, it didnt drop better loot in d2.

Second, if you feel like it creat rage, frustration and depression, than yes, HC is not for you.

People who plays HC do it for the fear and the stress it gives, for the challenge, because when you beat your last caracter you feel like you improved. HC is another style, and it doesnt suit to everybody.
Same reason one plays SC: Entertainment.
Because its HARDCORE..... just ask Chuck Norris he will explain it to your non HC brain.
Many people assume there would be more frustration in hardcore, but I think it is the opposite.

Think of it this way, at the end of the day you are a character and you are killing monsters. In which mode will you spend the most time dominating the monsters, and have the least amount of deaths? The answer to both is hardcore.

Imagine dying with your level 50 character. No problem! Roll up a new character, and you get a stash full of twink gear that will let you dominate normal and nightmare difficulty again. In softcore, you will be pulling your hair out constantly just trying to beat the most difficult of content. You will have constant gold repair costs, and at the end of the day you might be able to pat yourself on the back for killing a particular boss, but I don't think this is without its frustrations.

The further you go in hardcore, you will find progressively better PUG games as well. If you are farming in late hell with a couple people, they obviously know what they are doing, where softcore is more of a gamble. So, early on you get to go through solo with amazing gear, and in later difficulties you can join up with some people who will be a joy to play with (hopefully).

It's all about perspective really.
Softcore doesn't penalize you for building a weak character or playing recklessly. If you keep playing your character long enough, you will reach max level. No matter how many times you die in Inferno, you will eventually collect all the gear you want. The point of Softcore isn't to play well, it's entirely about finding cooler items to deck your character out in.

The item hunt is still a huge part of Hardcore, but the penalty for dying forces you to tighten up your build and play intelligently. You can't take anything for granted. You can't just faceroll content; you have to slow down and think about your surroundings and the monsters you're fighting. It changes the tone of the game a great deal and moves the challenge away from drop percentages and toward player skill.
In the words of the ffxi translator:

<fun> <excitement> <death>
Softcore doesn't penalize you for building a weak character or playing recklessly. If you keep playing your character long enough, you will reach max level. No matter how many times you die in Inferno, you will eventually collect all the gear you want. The point of Softcore isn't to play well, it's entirely about finding cooler items to deck your character out in.

The item hunt is still a huge part of Hardcore, but the penalty for dying forces you to tighten up your build and play intelligently. You can't take anything for granted. You can't just faceroll content; you have to slow down and think about your surroundings and the monsters you're fighting. It changes the tone of the game a great deal and moves the challenge away from drop percentages and toward player skill.

I've been on the bubble on what mode I want to really sink my teeth into. After this post, I know hardcore is for me. Thumbs up.
Not much to say that hasn't already been stated.

Looking back on my gaming "career" my fondest memories always involved gameplay riddled with risk. I couldn't tell you the details of even the most epic death I've ever had in any modern MMO, but I can recount in vivid detail any number of meaningless deaths in the likes of D2 HC, Everquest, Darkfall, Pirates of the Burning Sea and others. I couldn't tell you where trainers are in WoW's Ironforge, but I could lead you from EQ's PoD Lift in Gfay to the Frenzy camp in Lower Guk while both blindfolded and dizzied.

Risk adds an entirely different element to games. It encourages you to actively engage with what is going on, rather that putting your tunes on 11 and staring blankly into the screen as you mash keys out of sheer habit.

05/11/2012 02:27 PMPosted by pwnjuice
I've been on the bubble on what mode I want to really sink my teeth into. After this post, I know hardcore is for me. Thumbs up.
Azrael makes a pretty compelling argument for playing HC. The biggest thing to remember, though, is that there is no getting back up if you die. In this day and age, with all the hand holding and pampering most games offer the player, HC is going to be a HUGE adjustment for anyone under the age of 25. If you've ever had an account hacked, imagine that same feeling, except when you go to call customer service to get it back, all you get is a laughter. Take a while to ponder on just how you will feel after investing days, weeks, months into a character and having it die. Maybe it was an obvious mistake on your part that got it killed. Maybe what killed it it was completely out of your hands.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to put things into perspective.
The adrenaline rush you get when you are close to death in hardcore mode cannot be achieved in regular mode. Only by staring death in the eye can one truly feel alive.
There's two kinds of hardcore players:

Those who pull their hair out when they die and turn semi-suicidal, and those who take a deep breath, and make a new char.

The interesting thing about both of these types of HC players, is that NEITHER would ever go back to softcore. It's an impossibility. I even find myself imposing hardcore limitations on my gameplay for games like Dark Souls, or Kingdoms of Amalur because D2 set such a strong standard for me.

It's like riding a roller coaster or rock climbing. HC Diablo actually can (and will) give you an adrenaline rush. Very few games can make that claim, and SC definitely can't.

That said just give hardcore a try for say, 10 characters. If by the end of those 10 characters you still feel that softcore is just as enjoyable as hardcore, then the mode isn't for you, but more than likely, you won't be able to look back. Softcore just feels meaningless to us ^_^
Honestly...if D3 didn't have HC I wouldn't ever play it...Diablo will never be the same without hardcore. When I heard D3 announced the only question i cared about was if it was going to have hardcore again.
I can't say what the point of hardcore is to others. I can only give a personal answer.

Softcore bores me so badly that on multiple occasions I've gone from being alert to having my head almost literally hit my keyboard in a short period of time. So, the tongue-only-half-in-cheek answer for me is that I play hardcore because I don't want to end up explaining why bandaids keep showing up on my forehead.

Ultimately, hardcore is more challenging and I like the added challenge; the risk makes it more fun, rather than less. The substantial majority of D2 was pretty easy, though, and so most D2 playing time was spent working on getting under-powered builds all the way to guardian.

I have a sense that inferno difficulty will be challenging enough that it would be better to not engage in any self-handicapping, and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
05/11/2012 12:41 PMPosted by DiabloKing
If the only difference is that you die permanently.... what is the point? If it dropped better loot like in D2 than I would understand but this mode is non sense. This mode is only going to create rage, frustration and depression.

Relate to my thread about Roguelikes.

Roguelikes are dungeon crawl games based around the idea of one life = one playthrough, and randomized dungeons/enemy sets/loot. Diablo has only slightly strayed from the equation, moreso as years passed.

Also, there was literally no benefit (other than entertainment value) to playing HC in D2 either. In fact, I'm 80% sure the monsters were harder in HC.
I remember my first hardcore experience on how much it kicked up the experience I was enjoying. I remember every hardcore death (How I died - what level - the circumstances - etc..) . I can't even tell you about one normal/softcore death because those softcore deaths are without meaning.

I was a sceptic until I tried it. BTW my first HC ladder character was a Jabazon on the orginal ladder that made it to level 67 before being PK'ed by an exploit. I had a couple of characters make it to 99. I played in the D2 system from beta till about 1.10/1.11 and we only played HC. (I had 2 mule characters loaded with dual steal rings back in the day since they annoucned before hand that they would no longer drop)

What does this have to do with the OP? Try it and you will never go back.
HC is there for people who like to rage harder than everyone else
Hardcore gives you a feel. A feely feel that feels....feely. Hardcore keeps you on the edge of your seat. Hearts racing, hands shaking, knees week arms are heavy, moms spaghetti. It's an adrenalin rush.

I'm actually going to start off and quickly level to 10 as fast as possible. I'm not going progress any farther on my SC character, because I want a surprise. That feeling you get when you walk around the corner not knowing what's around it and thinking that you could die at any moment is an awesome feeling.

This mode is attended as a challenge. You can't just go Rambo mode into a mob like maybe on softcore because you WILL die. In softcore, you could head-bash your way through a champion pack and die saying "Meh, no big deal, i'll just run in !@# first next time." In hardcore, you have to make everything perfect. Finding the distinct balance between survivability and damage.

But hey, some people don't like that feeling. That's why you have a choice. You can either take the highway, or the back road through a shady neighborhood with the windows rolled down blaring "It's RAINING MEN!!" with only a spoon and a package of jell-o to defend yourself.

Forever a Hardcore player.
For me, D2 Hardcore was all about the community. Since not a ton of people play HC (compared to SC) the community can become interesting.
Leveling up you were on your own (or close friends), but once you got to level 80+ you could join in on some exclusive farm games. Where you would see the same faces cycle through a lot.
As you can imagine, getting high level on HC doesn't happen by accident, the higher end of the HC community tends to be filled with players that are very good at what they are doing.

I hope D3 becomes the same.
In the words of the ffxi translator:

<fun> <excitement> <death>

<Dragoon> <Looking for party> <Please invite me.>