PCI E 3.0 card in PCI E (1.X) x16 slot?

Games & Technology
Situation: Motherboard = Intel DG33FB
Current GPU: Radeon 6770
Considering new GPU : GTX 670 or Radeon 7850

So my motherboard has a PCI E (1.X) x 16 slot. I recently put a PCI 2.1 card in the slot (6770) which I got for next to nothing as it was a decent upgrade over my old 8800 GTS and it is working perfectly, no dramas at all.

I wanted to know if I would be able to put a 3.0 card in the slot, something like a GTX 670. I know it will be bottlenecked, I'm saving the last money now for a whole new PC and was considering getting a GPU earlier just to use it now.

My other option that I am considering is Xfire 7850's, so I could order 1 of them now and use it for the next month while I save funds.

Thanks
PCIe is backward/forward compatible with all versions.

You will not have the data through put of 3.0 on your 1.0 but it will still provide the needed power. you will not gain max performance from your 3.0 video card it will be ~10-15% slower then if it was in a 3.0 slot.

Make sure that your power supply can power your upgrade.
GTX 670 = Minimum of 500 Watt power supply.
AMD 7850 = Minimum of 500 Watt power supply.

Your old 6770 only required a Minimum of 450 Watts.
If you use 2 video cards your power requirements will be even higher (600 - 750 watts)
My research is showing 3.0's work in 2.x slots, no actual experience, just what I have read, it should say on the box.

So, it might not be 1.x compatible, possibly varies by card, visit the manufacturer's web sites to clarify...

If you get that 7850 after verifying, you will probably find, you won't need better for a while, and wait 2 years when all hell video card wise breaks loose with much better cards on the way.
I recently installed a PCIe 3.0 Radeon 7850 into a PCIe 1.0 mobo (Asus Striker Extreme if it is of any help). Works fine, and actually seems to work at full speed. I was expecting the 10-15% loss/bottleneck you and macromage mentioned, but the benchmarks I ran have shown similar performance to PCIe 3.0 boards.
From MY personal experience, MOST cards are backward compatible, but not all. I bought a card that DIDN'T work in my PCI-E 1.0 slot... I returned it and before I ordered a new one I emailed the company tech support to make sure it would work.
I had been researching video cards A LOT, and some said 2.1 slot compatible. (at Fry's with boxes in my face.... was part of it)

So if motherboard is PCI-16 slot version 1.x, Caveat emptor!
I just got a ATI 7750 and sadly its not working with PCI-16 slot version 1.x T_T
Best answer I have found this far: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/349048-33-will-pcie-card-work-pcie-slot