Macbook Pro Showdown

Games & Technology
Hey guys,

So currently I own a 2007 Macbook Pro 13.3 Inch and possibly am about to buy a Mid-2009 15 inch. Its also the higher, 2.8Ghz Processor one. The concern I am having is obviously the the graphics card and the speed of my current computer is not up to par and I wanted to know if making this switch would enable me to be able to keep up with D3. Some people have said that it would be fine on low graphics and others said that at times it may be laggy and slow.

For the 15 inch we have:
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6MB shared, System bus 1066MHz, Memory 4GB, Hard drive 500GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3, Graphics memory 512MB GDDR3

My 13" shows:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427

Thanks again for any help. Also please do not rant on me and say I should buy a PC because I already know its coming lol.
If I am reading this correctly, you are thinking about getting another Macbook which has the same graphics card your current one?

EDIT: Nevermind, 9400M was out in 2008, you are upgrading to that. Regardless, it is a crappy card, even the Intel HD 3000 beats it. It will run but expect some choppy play.
I believe the 9400M is an integrated card no? Anyway, if you're in the market for a new Mac, I'd suggest the current 15" MBP. Pricey if new, but that's what I'm using, and so far haven't had a game I couldn't run on 'high' yet.
You need to get a MBP with a dedicated graphics card. If you get one with Intel integrated, there won't be that much of a difference between your current MBP and the new one in terms of gaming performance.
Great! I actually just picked up my new (2009) 2.8ghz MBP.

It has two graphic cards from NVIDIA:

The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 256 MB VRAM and also the DEDICATED GeForce 9600M GT, 512 MB VRAM.

Does the fact that I have two processor things make a difference in performance, or does it simply just use the best one? Just curious. =).
Well, 9400M is weak, especially due to 256MB VRAM. I doubt it'll go far. You need 9600M GT at least.
05/13/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Kalganized
Well, 9400M is weak, especially due to 256MB VRAM. I doubt it'll go far. You need 9600M GT at least.

So thats a no I guess? I don't know if you're understanding that my computer isn't limited to just the 9400M, but it has the 9600M GT as well (BOTH of them). So I dont know if like the two like divide up the processing and possibly make for a better overall performance even tho it may be slight? But I guess it doesn't really matter any more seeing as though iv already made the purchase.
They don't divide up the processing. If you're running on OS X. You can choose between the integrated or the dedicated, requiring a log out to register the choice.

If you run Windows XP/Vista/7, the dedicated is automatically selected. You cannot choose. So I say you're good. But then again it's a pretty old card so I'm not very certain myself.
Hey I have a Macbook with the 9400m. I tried playing beta and it was pretty choppy on low.

Do you guys think things would improve with the same system on bootcamp?

I would really love to get d3 but Im scared that it won't be playable for me (no I can't buy a new computer).
No, it's the hardware limitation, Mango. Bootcamp will not help.
bummer.
Thanks for the info :)
Yeah, I'm running D3 On all the low settings and 600x800 reso on my 2009 macbookpro with the same specs as the OP's. Even then, gameplay is decent at best and its quite laggy. Macs arent built for gaming.