Why Is Agent.Exe Still Causing Problems?

Technical Support
There are a ton of threads where the root problem seems to be this application that Diablo 3 runs when you start it. I've been having problems with this thing since one of the beta patches, 11 I think.

I've been stuck at "Updating tools..." and "Launching...". I'm probably going to get the full gamut before the week is over. I've deleted the entire Battle.net folder and let the game create it new but I still have intermittent issues with this stupid thing. As of now I can't run the game, and it worked fine about 2 hours ago. I was sincerely hoping this range of issues would be fixed for retail.

[Edit]
Just got stuck at "Checking for updates...". I believe that's every single error Agent causes.
I was hoping they'd go away too. Agent is essentially a little bittorrent client, but since it operates without human interaction when it makes guesses about how to connect to the internet (IE connection settings) or is unable to write to the hard drive (permissions) or is blocked in trying to get to the internet to check for files (firewalls, anti-spyware), or can't launch as an administrative user (secondary logon disabled) etc etc - it does a very bad job of explaining what is wrong.

Because there are so many things that could be causing the issue....and everybody gets the same symptom - they all expect there to be a single 1 thing to fix it - and there isn't.

I agree, I wish Blizzard would find a more robust solution, or at least one that helps with the debug process. I was raging until I managed to find something that let me get into the game - but if it decides to stop working again, I'll be back to square one.
There are log files in the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954\Logs directory. Also a handy debug log in the root folder of diablo that lists a lot info and error log.

Id say delete the battle.net and blizzard entertainment folders and try the launcher. If that doesn't work make a new user account and run the game from that profile. Seems to fix the agent.exe issues.
There are log files in the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954\Logs directory. Also a handy debug log in the root folder of diablo that lists a lot info and error log.

Id say delete the battle.net and blizzard entertainment folders and try the launcher. If that doesn't work make a new user account and run the game from that profile. Seems to fix the agent.exe issues.

I've been dealing with this crap since the beta. I don't have a permanent fix for my problems with it, and it's not for lack of trying. I dealt with it in the beta because it was par for the course with unfinished software. I really, really, really don't want to put up with this crap in retail and I feel bad for the people less technically able than me to have to find a fix through the forums.
Well you can sulk in a corner and wait for them to hotfix or fix the !@#$ yourself and play. Just try making a new windows account and launch for there. It doesn't solve the problem but it might be a workaround until the issue is fixed.

I don't like it either, I made two tickets about this crap already to try and find the core problem with agent and the installer to share resolution with the community instead of dirty work around or blanket fixes like system restore and setting default security policy.

Upload those two logs to pastebin and I'll compare them to mine if you want, maybe find the issue.

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum