Am I the only one who remembers WoW launch?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Be prepared!!!Great game so far.
Heck yeah, I remember the WoW launch!

Remember when they had no battlegrounds, and the server would sometimes be brought down completely as large groups came to one area to duke it out?

Huh, thinking back, it's hard to believe it's been so long since the WoW launch.
05/15/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Giathar
GEE, The diff is WOW is A Massive MMO and even though they like to say Diablo 3 is, it is not, it has multiplayer arts, so stop comparing it to WOW launch

As much as you might like to think D3 and WoW are different.

It's really not. Its all done through servers, and its online, the term MMO has evolved from what it used to be. I even consider LoL an MMO because its multiplayer, its massive, and its online.
Yeah, you'd think that ater 7 years Blizzard might have learned a thing or two. How is this an excuse?
anybody remember queue dance?
I'm Twenty-Three. But I dont think anyone could anticipate the amount of players wanting to log in at a single time.

I'm honestly willing to guess that the number of people playing is in the millions.

Again, by design, why the hell do I have to log into a server to play my single player experience? technically I know why...

so they can spam me with pay to play items in the "auction house" hoping to weasel a few more bucks out of me for shiny virtual trinkets.

frankly I do not care about that crap, I just wanna be able to play the single player game I paid 60 bucks to play. I have no desire to join battle net and get into PVP with leet dudes and wow addicts, I just wanna play diablo.

a second question, what exactly is it about blizzard that makes people like you start threads like this and go "You know what, do you remember back when they messed up before? OH WOW that was horrible, this isnt so bad. I am perfectly fine NOT playing the game I paid for"
WoW is an MMO, this is not.

Am I the only one that remembers when games where released and you could actually play them the moment you bought them? You know, just put the game in your pc, install it, and play it? Tell me I am not the only person above the age of 20 on this forum.

Yeah, that's what blows my mind about these "It's launch day, all online launch days are bad". That's how you can tell which ones are the WoW fanboys come over, and which ones are the ones that are Diablo players.

Diablo 2, you installed it, clicked Single Player, and you played. Simple, and the state of Blizzard's servers was irrelevant.
I'm not sure its something they can "learn" from. Millions of people logging into a single server at the same time, when the server is new and the system is new is not an easy feat.

Things like this happen all the time with most new games being released, it just so happens that Blizzard games experience it worse because of the Mass amounts of people who are playing.
if you want to spend your time crying about the game then do so. it keeps me happy reading all of the stuf you want from the company that put mmo's on the map
http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html
I'm not sure its something they can "learn" from. Millions of people logging into a single server at the same time, when the server is new and the system is new is not an easy feat.

Things like this happen all the time with most new games being released, it just so happens that Blizzard games experience it worse because of the Mass amounts of people who are playing.

^this

many many many other companies of mmos have the same problem, it's not so easy as saying "hey lets flip a switch that increases server capacity and stability by xx million people!"
More importantly Blizzard should remember the WOW launch and they should have learned from it. Apparently they didn't.
I'm Twenty-Three. But I dont think anyone could anticipate the amount of players wanting to log in at a single time.

I'm honestly willing to guess that the number of people playing is in the millions.

Again, by design, why the hell do I have to log into a server to play my single player experience? technically I know why...

so they can spam me with pay to play items in the "auction house" hoping to weasel a few more bucks out of me for shiny virtual trinkets.

frankly I do not care about that crap, I just wanna be able to play the single player game I paid 60 bucks to play. I have no desire to join battle net and get into PVP with leet dudes and wow addicts, I just wanna play diablo.

a second question, what exactly is it about blizzard that makes people like you start threads like this and go "You know what, do you remember back when they messed up before? OH WOW that was horrible, this isnt so bad. I am perfectly fine NOT playing the game I paid for"

They never forced you to buy the game, if you are so against the game being an online enabled game, that perhaps you should continue to play Diablo 2. Personally, I only play games that allow me to play online with friends. That is where I have the greatest satisfaction. To each his own, but there is no surprises with it being battle.net enabled. They did the same thing with SC2.

And also technically i didnt pay for the game, i have the WoW annual, pass, but the world is not going to end today, the game will be ready to play later on, you must have patience.
I remember the first day, the realm I had chosen, Khadgar, went offline for 4 days. 4 days. And people are complaining about D3 servers down for 3 hours...
So let me get this straight.

You're saying we should be okay with a horrible launch because 7 years ago (and every expansion or content patch since) they have had horrible launches? We should just accept the fact that they haven't learned from past mistakes and refuse to put in the extra money to borrow or rent some extra servers for what THEY chose to be a nationwide simultanious launch?

But then I guess it is our fault, if you go to a resturant 3 times before, and each time the service was bad and slow, even if the food is good you should know better than to go there again unless you're prepared for that. Guess it's my fault for assuming that with the tons of billions of dollars now, and years of experience, they would be able to have a decent launch for once. Guess I should have known better.

That's not true at all, I'm sure they had a pretty good idea based on how many people took the deal with the WoW agreement and how many preorders they had. Most people want to try a new game as soon as they get it so. You could be safe to assume almost every person who could would be on, I suppose Blizzard couldn't figure this out tho. I expected this kind of BS from Blizzard so I'm glad I didn't take these days off :)
not my perspective but my opinion and i am entitled to it
WoW is an MMO, this is not.

Am I the only one that remembers when games where released and you could actually play them the moment you bought them? You know, just put the game in your pc, install it, and play it? Tell me I am not the only person above the age of 20 on this forum.

Yeah, that's what blows my mind about these "It's launch day, all online launch days are bad". That's how you can tell which ones are the WoW fanboys come over, and which ones are the ones that are Diablo players.

Diablo 2, you installed it, clicked Single Player, and you played. Simple, and the state of Blizzard's servers was irrelevant.

The fact is, "single player" games are becoming a thing of the past. Even most console games now have some sort of online feature. And this was no secret when they launched the game, it was going to be online-enabled only. Coming here complaining that you cant play for a game you paid for the moment you bought it in today's world just means that you never played video games at all in the past 10 years.

And the whole "WoW" fanboi statement doesnt even apply here. I didnt even play Vanilla WoW because i didnt like it, and i Enjoyed EverQuest much more at the time, only when BC and Cata were around did i even play WoW. I'm no fanboy its just insane the amount of QQ going on the forums on how people are demanding refunds because they cant play RIGHT THIS SECOND.