D3 Slows Down/Crawls in Sewers & Spider Cave

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
I got my FPS up a little in the spider caves by overclocking my GPU...quite a bit.

However, the cistern areas and water effects are still brutal. Can't we turn off that rippling and reflection like in WoW? I know this is a totally different game, but I had thought that certain coding elements would be the same. I was clearly mistaken.
Simplest solution for FPS Slowdowns is to disable Vsync, but we will see bad screen tearing.

If you want smooth play, without tearing try this:

1. Change HardwareClass to "1" ( Increasing overall performance )
c:\Users\”user_name”\Documents\Diablo III\ D3Prefs.txt

2. Install MSI Afterburner ( Force Lock-FPS to 60 - less Stuttering )
http://www.programosy.pl/download/pobierz,msi-afterburner,2.html

3. Install D3DOverrider ( Better Vsync - less Slow Down - smooth play in Spider Cave)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/euti3m

4. Configure MSI Afterburner On Screen Display Server, D3DOverrider and Diablo 3

http://imageshack.us/f/809/diablo3a.png/
- click "+" to add DiabloIII , click "wrench" to configure

http://imageshack.us/f/37/diablo3conf.png/
- uncheck vsync and fps max/min limiter

Tested with ATI cards: HD4850 and HD6670, Windows 7 X64, 4GB ram.
If you're offering these things as solutions, I'd explain what they do and why they work.
05/20/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Drone
Got a nvidia 560ti and the same thing happens...and it only happens in a junction in the sewers/aquaducts. If i move to into a branch of it dissappears. Everything else is smooth.

exactly the same finding in Caldeum sewers (using nvidia gtx460)
Same issue - but mine gets worse, I get full system lockups once in a while, when I change zones.

i7 @3.2GHz
12 Gigs ram
GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 4 Gigs of Ram
Diablo was on my 2nd drive, 1TB 72000 RPM, Reinstalling now on my 160GB SSD (with windows :()
Full system lockups is a problem with SSD drive

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663
Add me to the list of people with the same problem

And I am quite sure it is not my system. Act II sewers were horrible, and the Oasis was really bad, south of a certain point. There was a certain invisible line on the Oasis map, and if I went above it, the FPS doubled. Then if I went down below the line, FPS fell again.

Very weird
I have the same issue, but i have a really crappy video card and processor.

AMD Athlon 260 x2 3.2ghz
geforce 8400gs 512 mb

Guys, I overclocked my cpu to 3.6 ghz, overclocked my gpu quite a bit(20% at least i imagine), have all settings to low, and turned the resolution WAY down. To those of you wanting a temporary fix to this problem, I STRONGLY recommend you turn the resolution down to either of the two lowest settings. Yes, the game looks ugly, but I am able to pull nearly 20 fps in the water areas now with those settings. I also, of course, made sure to update all of my drivers and all of my mobo/bios updates.

I know this sucks, but I feel like some of you with high end gaming rigs that are pulling ~10 fps in the sewers either aren't optimizing your system for gaming very well, or are unwilling to play at such a low res. 20 fps in the water areas is playable, IMO, and I am able to achieve that with a far inferior system. Nobody likes playing at low res, but until blizzard fixes(or IF they fix), I suggest turning resolution WAY down...you'll eventually get used to the ugliness and will have a playable game until you are able to achieve something more permanent.
Add me to the list of people with the same problem

And I am quite sure it is not my system. Act II sewers were horrible, and the Oasis was really bad, south of a certain point. There was a certain invisible line on the Oasis map, and if I went above it, the FPS doubled. Then if I went down below the line, FPS fell again.

Very weird

Exactly, i have same problem, oasis was terrible lag.

I have the same issue, but i have a really crappy video card and processor.

AMD Athlon 260 x2 3.2ghz
geforce 8400gs 512 mb

Guys, I overclocked my cpu to 3.6 ghz, overclocked my gpu quite a bit(20% at least i imagine), have all settings to low, and turned the resolution WAY down. To those of you wanting a temporary fix to this problem, I STRONGLY recommend you turn the resolution down to either of the two lowest settings. Yes, the game looks ugly, but I am able to pull nearly 20 fps in the water areas now with those settings. I also, of course, made sure to update all of my drivers and all of my mobo/bios updates.

I know this sucks, but I feel like some of you with high end gaming rigs that are pulling ~10 fps in the sewers either aren't optimizing your system for gaming very well, or are unwilling to play at such a low res. 20 fps in the water areas is playable, IMO, and I am able to achieve that with a far inferior system. Nobody likes playing at low res, but until blizzard fixes(or IF they fix), I suggest turning resolution WAY down...you'll eventually get used to the ugliness and will have a playable game until you are able to achieve something more permanent.

Your an idiot, everyone is tired of hearing watever the fuk u just said, its blizzard problem, dont sit here and say sh%&* like your fukin don d#!@@r and tell us its our problem, i got news for you ITS NOT, i have high end pc and im as low as this sh%*&( ball can get. And blizzard continues to ignore our cries, i gave up on this game and havent recommended to anyone.
I feel your pain guys, i have this issue, too. my CPU nor GPU are even maxed out, Usage wise, its just running slow because it feels like it. Blizzard needs to fix it! =[

EDIT: I was able to get the sewers to run close to normal speed by lowering my resolution.
Full system lockups is a problem with SSD drive

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663

You sir... Thank you.... Thank you so much, I"ll be trying this fix when I get home tonight.
I've been having the same thing with superior specs to most of what I've seen posted, I might try those fixes later.
Just try lowering your resolution. i was using 1280x1024 before, switched to 1024x768. Looked like Feces, but ran a ton better in the sewer level.
Same issues as OP.

I haven't bothered keeping tabs on FPS throughout all areas of the game. Bottom line is that every single other place, discounting the spider caves in Act 1 and the aqueducts in Act 2, run fine and operate smoothly (even at lowest possible settings, if not resolution) where my hardware is concerned. Latency is unrelated and another story altogether.

Dreading whole portions of a game, due to its unplayability, is just ridiculous and quite simply a complete lack of entertainment. Why do we play games again? Why do we pay real money for games again?

Windows 7, Core i5 @ 3.20, 4g ram, ATi Radeon HD 5450. Should run it fine, and does for the most part.

Fix your game, Blizzard.
Please and thank you.

Edit: Yes, lowering the resolution to 1024x768 helped with framerates, at least in the spider caves. But it also looks horrible. Though I did put textures back to high with everything else low/off and it looked a little better at that resolution.
I am also experiencing this problem and am wondering if there is a way to fix it. This is the only place in the entire game where I experience this kind of a slow down, and it's not choppy, it's like it slows everything down.

Hoping to get a response in one form or another. A hotfix, that includes an option to turn off joining general chat would be great! :P
I am also experiencing this problem and am wondering if there is a way to fix it. This is the only place in the entire game where I experience this kind of a slow down, and it's not choppy, it's like it slows everything down.

Hoping to get a response in one form or another. A hotfix, that includes an option to turn off joining general chat would be great! :P

I get the slowdown too, but not as bad as some of the people in this thread. With vsync on my FPS is 60 through the whole game everywhere but the act 2 sewers is will drop down to 30 or even 15 sometimes. However, if I turn off vsync then it stays in the 55-60 range in the sewers. I guess thats the fix for me.
yea I can play the whole game with shadows high/textures high/low fx off with no issues whatsoever, but that 1 spot in the game(any sewer in a2, specifically in any intersection where there is a complete covering of water/torchfire/mist on screen at once) My game crawls, and it's not normal lag where it chops, it's like the opposite of running Commander Keen on my dual core.
I don't have this problem and my system specs are not as good as some people who do have this problem (I run fairly high settings and routinely clock over 150 FPS, (now limited to 60 since there is no need for anything over)). I wish I could help but the only thing I can take a guess at is that it is some sort of network issue.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
System Model TA770 A2+ SE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 7/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

AMD Radeon HD 6850
Dual HDD system with OS on one drive and games on a second HDD.