Can artisan add socket?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
You know, I disagree with a lot of folks here... how is adding a gem slot customization? I get how adding the gems lets you tweak things, but really... when would you not add a gem slot?

It's something you would do on every item you get. Having a way to tweak stats on gear (I kinda like the reforging idea from wow... cut one stat to benefit another) is good.

Customization should involve some choice, it would be better if everything just had gem slots over forcing us to go to town to add them over and over on every item. Even if it was just the high end gear it would spice things up letting us change our stats.
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

I give you a +1 for all of this. Thats whats up Zarhym
You know, I disagree with a lot of folks here... how is adding a gem slot customization? I get how adding the gems lets you tweak things, but really... when would you not add a gem slot?

It's something you would do on every item you get. Having a way to tweak stats on gear (I kinda like the reforging idea from wow... cut one stat to benefit another) is good.

Customization should involve some choice, it would be better if everything just had gem slots over forcing us to go to town to add them over and over on every item. Even if it was just the high end gear it would spice things up letting us change our stats.

The CHOICE is what gem or what combination of gems you choose in say... 15 possible sockets.

All i see are people wanting no choices and absolutly no decisions and positivly NO consequences. And that sure isn't the Diablo i've played for so long.
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

what has happened to blizzard, look at this guy.. is he serious?

people like this is why blizzard is such a terrible company these days.

absolutely terrible.

NO they are NOT!!! if you hate Blizz that bad then i hope you cancelled your account as soon as you posted this if thats how you really feel. i deal with them mostly over the phone and they have been nothing short of wonderful! the similarites mentioned between their other games such as WoW and D2, are probably there because they got it right the first time. i still remember the bright purple Sanders Ripwrap Boots with the 40+ run speed from D2; my mage on that game wore them long after she should have just for that one stat. i dont know about anybody else, but i find it a bit comforting when i see something that smacks of the other games because they were and still are fun. my friends and i cant be the only ones who bring our comps to each others houses now and again for a weekend to play older blizz games for nostalgias sake. relax please. sure its a bit on the vanilla side, but they have to start someplace with it. they do read these and listen to us, so just hang in there and let them work it out. sheesh!
05/18/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Kallendria
sure its a bit on the vanilla side, but they have to start someplace with it. they do read these and listen to us, so just hang in there and let them work it out. sheesh!

They should've started from D2:LoD. That was the state the game was in, not vanilla D2. They should've learned the lessons from LoD and implemented them in this vanilla D3, not pretend that LoD never existed. At launch, D3 should've had everything that was good in LoD, and then some.
05/18/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Cosmoflips
Same thing with armor that has more than 2 primary stats, it's a waste most of the time. :( The best items I've found have just had 1-2 affixes and multiple sockets.
This isn't true. Each stat will add some to your overall
A Wizard doesn't need Strength? It's true, but if you get an item with Strength, just consider it to be ARMOR instead. And no matter how good you are, you will be getting hit.
Don't need Dexterity? Consider it to be DODGE. Again, you will be getting hit.

A Barb doesn't need Intelligence? Consider it Resist All.
05/18/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Maka
They should've started from D2:LoD. That was the state the game was in, not vanilla D2. They should've learned the lessons from LoD and implemented them in this vanilla D3, not pretend that LoD never existed. At launch, D3 should've had everything that was good in LoD, and then some.
LoD had good features, but many of them were TERRIBLE for design and balance. Runes were horrible for balance, and their design just felt like "gem replacement".
Also, this isn't Diablo 2.5. This is Diablo 3.
You should have added a rare material required to add sockets, that can only be obtained by salvaging socketed items.
That way, you won't just simply add sockets to anything, because you'll have to find socketed items first, then destroy the items by salvaging them, and finally, be lucky enough to get the material.
Then you could require another material to socket.

Since the socketing material would be rare, you'll save the materials for good gear you are not expecting to replace for a long time, instead to the gear you keep constantly replacing.
Also, that'll make simpler magical items with sockets also very valuable, since they could be a source of socketing material upon salvaging.
05/18/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Helios
There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference.

I just wanted to say I completely agree with this statement. I've experienced it myself while playing.

If you could add sockets, basically everything you itemize would require it. Why not balance stuff without the added step? Well done.

Yes, me too. I found these hot pants, and was like, wow, I could use those with these 2 gems already in my pants ... don't say it. But I'd realize that I could play on a little further with what I had on. It wasn't an immediate thing for me.
I'm going to have to sorely disagree with the decisions of removing the ability to socket your armor.

The enchantress as well.

Even the Talisman.

They were more things to do to make your character stronger.

So it feels like a chore to go back to town when you find an "Upgrade" To put some sockets in it?

Yet, now hear me out here, we remove the ability to deconstruct items on the move because we wanted to give the town "Purpose"?

Don't get me wrong, I love this damn game and I have played more hours on it in the last 3 days then I have in gaming the last 4 months. But that's BS.

No I'm not kidding. That's BS.

You have made that would be upgrade, worthless because it lacks a socket and can not get a socket.

Sockets should be hard to earn. Expensive, costly based off the piece of gear, it's rarity, and how many sockets you keep trying to add into it.

Calling it a chore? I have to go back to town, remove my gem from my weapon, compare the two weapons base DPS and add my gem back into the better of the two. Not only did it cost me money, it cost me time. That's a chore right there. It doesn't even enhance my experience. I just have to compare the two without their gem.

I was legitimately looking forward to adding sockets to my equipment. I figured I needed the gem crafter at maximum level.

The ability to socket gems adds the maximum level of customization. Does it feel like a chore? No in fact it would not feel like a chore, it feels like I'm about to give myself a very nice upgrade.

Make it pricey, make it a gold sink. Saying, "We didn't want it feeling like WoW where you go back to town for every upgrade." Ok I get that, you don't want that to feel like WoW, but you know what? There is a reason it has ten million subscribers and is a very old, long running game.

We like to have some level of control on our upgrades. Gems are indeed a way for us to have that level of control.

Make a slot cost us big. I already have to go to town to remove gems fairly regularly.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I am saying give us at least some level of control. Right now, we can make weapons and armor, no actual control we just hope. We can make our gems stronger (I have a lot of Radiants I can't even use because of lack of slots by the way) But we lack any control over our upgrades.

In this system, as it currently stands, a lot of our gems are, and will remain useless, not because they are useless, but because they can not be used.

Does it feel like a chore? If you want to call it that, sure, lets just call it a chore.

Which is better though, making the gem system relatively worthless? Or adding a chore?

You seem to like the gem mechanic to keep it in, but not the socket adding, yet the gems need the sockets.

The gems, like others before me have said, are a huge part of customization. Put caps on gear, make it ridiculously expensive to add. A chore? Honestly, I would have preference to the chore if it meant freeing up inventory space and actually using those gems.

I haven't found a worthwhile helmet with a socket and good stats for nearly 25 levels and I'm at 46. I would pay 50k just to put a slot in my helmet and put one of my gems in there. I would pay 100k for a second without even thinking about it. Would it take a lot of work? Yes it would, but I would be earning my upgrade as well as lucking into my upgrades.

Create the "Chore" because it makes the gem mechanic a lot more user friendly.
05/18/2012 08:08 PMPosted by CyberGoat
LoD had good features, but many of them were TERRIBLE for design and balance. Runes were horrible for balance, and their design just felt like "gem replacement".
Also, this isn't Diablo 2.5. This is Diablo 3.

Well said, and glad you did 'cause i wasnt sure how to reply to that one... personally i do miss being able to pump skill points into my most used spells and forget others that dont work for me, but just exactly as you said, its not D2.5, its D3. some bits nice and familiar, but get ready to adapt to an otherwise different game.
05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

I call bull here - I bought a pair of rings at the same time in town that had the exact same modifiers on them. I used them both until Act 2 where I recently acquired a better one.
Maybe it's because mods are limited early on... not that I'm complaining. Two rings with +2-4 damage and a bonus to experience? Heck yeah.
...but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy.

Oh, I see! Like the durability/repair thingy?
(/sarcasm)

On a serious note: Remove it! Just make us lose some money depending on the value of our gear.
05/18/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Raltrios
And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

I call bull here - I bought a pair of rings at the same time in town that had the exact same modifiers on them. I used them both until Act 2 where I recently acquired a better one.
Maybe it's because mods are limited early on... not that I'm complaining. Two rings with +2-4 damage and a bonus to experience? Heck yeah.

well yeah, me too. maybe vendor stuff doesnt count, and what he is refferring to are the aromor and arms made by the artisan or dropped in the world? dont know. notice he did say virtually, meaning AlMOST never. and the use of "currently". read this may likely change as the game grows. reading over the entire thread, it seems as though much malcontent stems from people expecting more of a full on extension to what already was, rather than willingness to toss the old aside somewhat and adapt to an entirely new format. and deciding to severely limit socketing for the moment, well, everybody makes plans and then finds themselves changing their minds about something. at no point does he say the decision is final, and they may very well change their minds back again, just like you or i would. i have always found patience with blizz stuff well rewarded, and looking forward to patches as i learn a whole new game.
Actually the reverse is true.

A weapon without a socket is effectively worthless.

As all skills were made to be based off weapon damage, weapons have become the NUMBER ONE most important item on any class.

To get the most damage it needs to have a socket.

No buts.. no ifs.. IT NEEDS TOO.
All weapons without sockets no matter How "GOOD" are effectively useless

The inablity to add sockets to other weapons just makes the whole thing fall apart for non socket drops.
05/18/2012 05:07 PMPosted by singemfrc
Except now that I have radiant, square, and higher level gems in my items, almost anything I come across that isn't socketed is just ignored unless the inherent attributes of the found item already match the benefits of the gem, which gets less likely with higher level gems. In fact I've found that it's much more beneficial to just buy socketed items from the auction house. Perhaps a compromise would be to make socketing possible, but more difficult in some way (higher cost, some other sacrifice); so that instead of a repeated chore it too would be a decision to make.

^

This.

All removing the ability to socket did was make more items useless.
Please Help me solve error 3007
I have a SOCKET already in my OFF-HAND object.. I wanna know how can I add my gem in it..Thank you guys.
Hey Zarhym, why not make it so you can use the socketing ability only once per difficulty after the completion of a hard quest?