Can artisan add socket?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
So- the Jeweler is pretty much worthless except for gem removal....
Instead of having it be a "oh hey I found a new rare to use for 5 levels, let's go socket it"

Why not have socketing be in the game but exhorbitantly expensive? Say 50k or 100k?
(50-100k is a lot of gold and would deter meticulous returns to town.)

Why not have a quest like d2 that gives you a free socket on an item?
(Maybe have restrictions on the level req of the item for n nm H I)

Why not allow WHITES to be socketed via the jeweler?
(seriously...)
Last but not least

WHY NOT HAVE MORE STUFF TO PUT IN THE SOCKETS? we had 7(?) gems and 33(?) runes in d2 AND jewels!

There's so much more that could/should be done with this, as for right now each character feels exactly the same in how you build your items/sockets...

There's a difference between "complex and intricate" and "fun and customization"
It also adds another gold sink to the game in general.
that really pisses me off i was looking forward to doing that from seeing it in the guide. i thought it was a good idea taking it further than the last game.... thanks blizzard for taking away another thing that i thought was going to be good in this game
05/18/2012 07:22 PMPosted by N0Frames
read guys. they said they could put it in the future in the game, depend if they need to kick it up a notch. i was reading people are getting smashed in inferno.

I know this is a bit off topic but I'm going to say it anyway. I'm not a casual gamer, I was there in December of 96 playing Diablo 1, I know how this series plays, but on the topic of difficulty imo, no one should be calling the game too easy. From a person who prefers to solo more than group, I needed to actually hop in general chat and ask for help with killing Diablo on normal difficulty last night when I finally got there and died countless times. Never once did I need to MP in diablo 1 or 2, I did so in the first game because I had people I considered friends after getting to know them in the Rogue's Gallery way back when. D2 was lan play again with RL friends and that was rare due to people having jobs/lives/gf's etc.

This iteration of the game is not easy from a soloists standpoint, alot of that having to do with potions being on a cool down. Having to spend thousands and thousands of gold to upgrade crafters, and seeing as though it sounds like gems in vanilla aren't even worth the trouble, makes me question why I should even bother upgrading the jeweler at all.
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

first rationale I have heard via a blue post in a while that actually made sense.....still waiting on an understandable and non-contradictory explanation of why you guys ruined the rune system though, since based on everything you said before the change, dumping the old "complex" one in favor of one on rails kills both customizability, and depth to the game.
05/18/2012 04:42 PMPosted by ElevenEleven
have to agree with Blizzard on this change...enchanting and adding sockets always felt like a chore or a "tax" on new gear in any MMO that had those features and it wouldn't feel any better here

i didn't feel that way in d2...

05/19/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Spincut
still waiting on an understandable and non-contradictory explanation of why you guys ruined the rune system though, since based on everything you said before the change, dumping the old "complex" one in favor of one on rails kills both customizability, and depth to the game.

you and me both
Perhaps only being able to add 1 socket to an item? Yeah you'd be socketing everything, but still looking for rares w/ multiple sockets. Would make gems slightly more valuable imo.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

It would have been no less tedious than farming for new gear so you don't get pooped on as you progress to later quests :|

Which people have to do more now since they can't socket good gear that they find.
Since so many items have horribly random stats, I aim to only get items with sockets in them so I can add the stats I want.
i never play i just look at my stuff and try to figure out where to put all of it. i used up 9 charactors for mules and don't have any room to play. To bad you couldn't store it in the tiny little trunk. just think 10 charactors sharing this itty bitty trunk guess you have to sell and crunch all the items you find no use trying to save anything
Im sorry but there is a difference in adding a socket and removing it. I don't like having to hope for a better item when halfway through the game I still chose to stick with a helm so i can more experience but it has a low armor ratting. Every helm i pass has no socket and any other helm i try to buy sucks. I don't like having to find the gems and have no use for them simply because the stuff i have has no slots. So i might find something later with slots, thats not the point. If i choose to pick up an item and say "hey, i have a gem that would compliment that set of attributes" then i will go to the market and add a slot for a price.
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Whats funny about this, is that what you describe bears NO resemblance to how myself, any of my friends, or anyone I have talked to plays the game.

ALL of us, just pick up every Blue and Yellow, until our inventories are full, then we go back to town and scan through the items to see what's better. Having the ability to add sockets would hardly interupt this process. All it would do is allow you to keep the item that you see and say, damn, if only that had a socket ....

This is just another example of Blizz putting the Axe to an aspect of the game that they couldn't figure out, implement properly, etc.

Fail blizz, fail.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up imo. Much like the simplified rune system, I get the impression that it went like this "Oh this is too hard for us to balance, hey let's dumb it down, they'll never know the difference"

I am enjoying the game for what it's worth, that being said, there is about zero complexity to it, it's even more than a glorified item hunt than ever, granted that is kinda the point of a diablo game in the first place but still, after going through normal and now sitting in act 2 of nightmare. I'm left thinking often while playing what exactly the point of sinking money into upgrading crafters when because of the lack of high end solid gems/jewels/socetables, and the random nature of how items are generated, you're almost better off just looking for drops rather than even crafting gear due to the cost of said crafting.
05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.
Tell that to my blacksmith. He keeps making me Dex and Health globe boots when I want Vit and Intel. ):
I think the jewler should be able to socket.

But not as simply as paying.
Salvaging socketed items would have a chance to generate a rare socketing material.
Then you'll need that rare socketing material to socket another item.

That way, you can't just go back to town, socket every single item.
And since sockets come from already socketed items, there's no socketing being 'produced'. All sockets would come from items that already have them.
And since it would be a rare material, not all items with sockets would provide them, making sure it stays limited enough.

You'll have to get the socketing material. So the more you socket, the more expensive it gets for you, and you'll save socketing for the good stuff you know you'll keep for some time.
I dont know about you guys, but I really miss the Horadric cube. It was really convenient to have it with you and it was such an awesome item. I felt good knowing all the recipes and it did not cost me a load of gold to merge gems as it currently costs now. I really like the jeweler character, however his role in the game is not an improvement to what the Horadric cube provided in D2.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Ok i have read to page 5 before this post i see the same things over and over again how without being able to socket item gems become useless and it is true for the most part you will have your set and that will be it your upgrades will either have gem slots and better stats or there wont be an upgrade. Also people have said how random the blacksmithing is where you have no control over what stats you will get.

So here is the thought. Why not add a slot in the blacksmith where you can put a gem in can make sure it gets that affix make it based on level so you need x level of gem to make x level of gear? Keeping it to only letting one gem be used would give us some control and give use some real use out of the gems that keep dropping.
05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward.

There's simple solution to that. "Add socket" should remove random property (or two random properties) of item, replacing it with socket. So you don't want to remove good stat from an upgrade dropped, thus won't add socket on already good item. But you have a chance to make mediocre item a little better. Kind of all-in gambling.
...we're in the process of updating it.

4 Days is just to short to remove a few lines of text assuming this was changed AFTER release