Blizzard needs to look at WD again?

Witch Doctor
05/19/2012 10:10 AMPosted by PiedPiper
Sound like the OP doesnt understand how the abilities work or how configure passives and gear.

Sounds like your contribution to this thread is zero.

05/19/2012 11:45 AMPosted by MaxDanger
The class does not need changes because you can't play it correctly. No easy button or FOM builds for you to lean on. Maybe not your game?

Another constructive post!

You guys are proving nothing by posting not-so-witty one-liners without anything to back it up.

I'm not asking for massive WD buffs; I'm merely pointing out that a lot of the numbers don't make a lot of sense and the class, as a whole, seems off.

This is coming from someone who has played Monk, WD, Wiz, and DH so far. I have not played Barb to high levels so I have no opinion on him, but the others seemed more "complete". Their abilities, for the most part, mesh well together. The WD feels like a bunch of abilities were thrown together with numbers seemingly based on nothing.

If some of you "elite" gamers see something I don't, then point it out.
currently lvl 49 and this is my build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fkQdUP!bXU!YYZZYb

right now the go to smasher is beast and it hits for 3-4k no stack buff and over 7k with a 5 stack buff.

Pile on hits for 10-15k great nuke and splashes great for when you open a door.

SH with siphon for the extra healing and SW to grab globes and to get out of the way.

My order is
Fetish,Rain dance,Siphon,Pile on, Beast get 300% regen
Once you use this combo you have 300% regen going 100% of the time by hitting just 1 spell. So you just spam beast and what ever cd you think is best to keep it at 4.

With this build I've gotten nothing but wow's from DH,Wiz,Monk because my dmg out put is at least 2x that of them with a 5 stack of SH i think im pulling 2k dps.

Now I havent tried this solo as there is no cc and you'll have to hope you burn faster than they run but in group this is just insane damage.
Cant wait till pvp is released and people cry nerf witch doctor. Some of his skills might seem weak vs monsters but they will shine in pvp. Witch doctor has 3 spells that can do over 800% weapon dmg each and has so much cc they wont even have a chance to fight back.
Matthew, while some of your points have merit, perhaps you should play the witch doctor into later difficulties before you comment on his useful(less)ness.

You claim that darts > spirit barrage but you fail to mention the runes available for that skill at higher levels: Phantasm, Plebotimize and Manitou, all of which make using this spell worthwhile. There are also means of regenerating your mana to the point that the cost is meaningless.

Additionally you mention the heal rate on consuming spirit (haunt) being 155/sec and then soul harvest doubling your damage. Soul Harvest does not double your damage at end game (mind you, it's still rediculous) but the ammount healed from haunt you quoted doesn't occur to level 60.

This indicates that your experience is largely from pulling numbers from the website. Feel free to prove me wrong here, but if it is indeed the case, the time for theorycraft is over now. Put some time into the character and make decisions from there.

Ahem, in any case 155 per second at end game isn't terrible when you consider you can apply this dot to multiple enemies at once. Using this skill in rapid succession allows me to tank monsters in hell. I agree that it should be percentage based, but when you consider end game health is 30k, that 0.5% per second is a solid return when compared to other skills that life drain.
will the heal from haunt stack if cast multiple times on same enemy or only when on different targets?
Antipop, I'm level 53 and I'm running into the same problems unfortunately. I've been dying in one hit to some rare mobs. We have no good single target attack that doesn't drain our mana reserves very quickly. Our chance to survive is also low, since our pets suck. The wizard however gets Force armor that makes it impossible to get one hit by reducing damage to 35% of their health at most.

If they stack health regen it's theoretically impossible to kill them after 54. The best we have is horrify with a short armor boost or spirit walk. Maybe I'm not stacking vitality enough, but it's frustrating to die in one hit due to a delayed animation attack. Wizards also do more DPS than we can ever do and have plenty of CC with that slow time bubble.

1) You need vitality
2) Poison dart
3) Don't use a pet then use a survivability spell
4) Only takes 3 hits for them to die
5) Hmmm our CC. Hex, Giant Toad, Wall of zombies, grasp of the dead, horrify, mass confusion, numbing dart. - 7 CC spells, i dunno what more you want...

I've made significant changes since then. Up to 23k vitality and using a build that differs totally from anyone else I've seen. Works great.

Cheers!
The only thing toad is good for is blocking walkways indefinitely. You can shoot through it, enemies can't move through it. It's not even useful though, because it's a waste of slot, unless you plan on using it as an exploit to cheese monsters again and again. There's really no need though, not even in inferno.

Most WD skills either cost too much mana, have too long of a cooldown, or have a terrible damage modifier. It is probably the class with the least amount of usable skills. The ones that are usable are competitive, though.
I agree with most of what you're saying.. Save Hex.. Have a relook at that skill.. It's one of the Witchdoctors best.

The cooldown is roughly equal to the duration, it acts as a healing potion every 15 seconds, and it can take a rare monster out of the game.. Target it by being closest to the monster you wish to nullify.

What's so good about hex?:\
05/19/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Matthew
Sound like the OP doesnt understand how the abilities work or how configure passives and gear.

Sounds like your contribution to this thread is zero.

The class does not need changes because you can't play it correctly. No easy button or FOM builds for you to lean on. Maybe not your game?

Another constructive post!

You guys are proving nothing by posting not-so-witty one-liners without anything to back it up.

I'm not asking for massive WD buffs; I'm merely pointing out that a lot of the numbers don't make a lot of sense and the class, as a whole, seems off.

This is coming from someone who has played Monk, WD, Wiz, and DH so far. I have not played Barb to high levels so I have no opinion on him, but the others seemed more "complete". Their abilities, for the most part, mesh well together. The WD feels like a bunch of abilities were thrown together with numbers seemingly based on nothing.

If some of you "elite" gamers see something I don't, then point it out.

Agree with you completely. Sad that there's always some idiots getting all worked up and angry over absolutely nothing
I agree that witch doctor seems totally haphazard / illogical right now.

Soul harvest seems vastly overpowered.

Many of the other skills are too weak vs. splinter darts.

Wizards don't exactly have more DPS then us, its just that our max DPS potential uses so much mana we can't do it again for the next pack.

What?

You regen full mana in about 10 seconds.
the witch doctor has one hell of an arsenal and even though the pets are pretty lame i.e zombie dogs die before i summon the little buggers, and there's a lot of cc to be had on normal packs though a lot of the cool downs seem to be a little big like confusion, wall of zombies etc
but another thing that turned me off was how pathetic the cc works on champion/rare mobs like hex only works on the mobs for a second at best... it really didn't seem to help me out surviving wise, i found that spirit walk was the best skill defencivly snake to the face seems to really kick !@# though in most situations where there are bosses/rares but i wonder, what do other people use when they come up to a pack of rares/champions? because i usually run around with spirit walk and snake to teh face and it doesnt really get me anywhere fast
Just an update but zombie dogs are decent again once they get the life draining rune (at 54). With enough attack, they can heal back most of the damage done to them