HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

Technical Support
Prev 1 10 11 12 26 Next
Thank U for keeping us in the loop!
Very clever workaround! Most impressive. :)

you're welcome :)

and thank you guys for Diablo 3!
I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Great to hear!

I used this work around and it significantly reduced my stuttering issue. I'm using a cheap 8gig flash drive that i got from walmart (i can't even find the read/write speeds for it...so i'm assuming it's low).

You can use a 8 gig flashdrive if you use the original Cutscene.mpq file (big file) on your hard drive instead of creating a link to it on the flashdrive
Our voices have been heard! How many 20+ pages threads did it take?!
05/25/2012 07:06 PMPosted by CityOfNoir
Our voices have been heard! How many 20+ pages threads did it take?!

lol
Finallllllly an answer from blizzard, Thxx ;)
I hope they're looking at other sources of major stuttering/slow fps issues as well or are at least aware of them

This is very encouraging though to hear from Blizzard that they are aware & working on it

thank you
I hope they're looking at other sources of major stuttering/slow fps issues as well or are at least aware of them

This is very encouraging though to hear from Blizzard that they are aware & working on it

thank you

yeah i was thinking the same thing. While this fix will definately help, something tells me that the HDD read rates isn't really the sole culprit for the stuttering. One step at a time though and this is definately progress I think we can all appreciate for now :)
How awesome would it be if Blizzard acknowledged my contribution to this problem, and sent me ... well, a collectors edition of the game ! ...just saying ... ;).
05/25/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Edstroyer
How awesome would it be if Blizzard acknowledged my contribution to this problem, and sent me ... well, a collectors edition of the game ! ...just saying ... ;).

I think you and MinuteZero deserve something for sure! You guys have really gone out of your way to help the community with this issue. There are many others who have as well but you guys have defiantely been proactive about covering this issue and offering tips/workarounds.

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

I mention the "testing" part because as we've learned in the past, nothing is worse than rushing a fix that breaks something even worse in the process. If any of you are longtime WoW players you might recall an old PTR patch for Burning Crusade where we fixed the special attack of a monster in the Barrens. The reason that fix was memorable is that the same code change also broke the biggest boss fight (Illidan) that was in the game at the time! It's an extreme example, but it highlights why we have to thoroughly test our fixes before we push them to your computers. It's a good thing! ^_^

We absolutely hate it when people can't play our games properly, and we're doing our best to slay this particular dragon as quickly as can. Thank you again, and happy demon hunting to all.

Thanks! I don't have the freezing of the screen for seconds at a time, but I do have the loading of the new assets stutter. I hope it helps me out too. Glad to know Blizzard will eventually fix this.
the users of intel HD 3000 onboard, says: thx
hahahahhaa
I felt as good reading one post acknowledging the issue and knowing that someone is working on it than I did when I got my game to work smooth(er). This has been my first PC game since Diablo II when I had a desktop. Issues like this aside it has been a worthwhile re-introduction into PC gaming for me.
Hello i have seen a lot of ppl saying this fix works on windows 7 does it work on XP as well?

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

I mention the "testing" part because as we've learned in the past, nothing is worse than rushing a fix that breaks something even worse in the process. If any of you are longtime WoW players you might recall an old PTR patch for Burning Crusade where we fixed the special attack of a monster in the Barrens. The reason that fix was memorable is that the same code change also broke the biggest boss fight (Illidan) that was in the game at the time! It's an extreme example, but it highlights why we have to thoroughly test our fixes before we push them to your computers. It's a good thing! ^_^

We absolutely hate it when people can't play our games properly, and we're doing our best to slay this particular dragon as quickly as can. Thank you again, and happy demon hunting to all.

Thanks so much for acknowledging those of us with the issue. I will happily wait for the patch that fixes it as long as I know its being worked on and our concerns aren't overlooked.

I didn't have the issue during beta or a few days after launch, but 3 days ago I formatted, and wouldn't you know, now I get stuttering when spells are first cast, objects are first destroyed, new monsters appear, and new areas of a map are loaded. It's very frustrating going from a smooth-as-butter game to a choppy one after a reformat.
05/25/2012 09:16 PMPosted by BEAKER
Hello i have seen a lot of ppl saying this fix works on windows 7 does it work on XP as well?

Yes, it will work for windows XP. The only difference is the "Program Files" folder naming. In windows XP, there is no (x86) in the naming, so just omit that. This is also mentioned in the original post.
05/25/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Blindjanitor
I will happily wait for the patch that fixes it as long as I know its being worked on and our concerns aren't overlooked.

So you wont play the game until the patch comes out?

"An ally has left your party. Diablo's minion's weaken" - dammit
yeah im not gonna play til patch either. Sad thing is my wizard is level 56 and i was hoping to have her in Infero by this time but I guess it will have to wait. I have WoW to keep me busy until then anyways
05/25/2012 07:25 PMPosted by darkslayer

I think you and MinuteZero deserve something for sure! You guys have really gone out of your way to help the community with this issue. There are many others who have as well but you guys have defiantely been proactive about covering this issue and offering tips/workarounds.
If they sign the box, make sure minute is all lower and ZERO is caps... ;)
Those still having trouble see this excellent thread with possible workarounds. Be warned the most successful is pretty similar to this (running from a ram disk though). It has a range of other tweaks collated too.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619611?page=1