Story isn't just bad. It makes NO SENSE.

Lore and Story
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next

However D2/3 changed the lore that humans were descendants from angel and demon offspring. (so how did he become a human?).

Wasn't D2 it was the Sin War trilogy maybe you should pick up reading as a hobby

Well Book of Cain consolidates a bunch of lore, it's in there so it's official.
It's not that complicated, in all 3 diablo games the soulstones are nothing more then containers for there souls allowing them to be released through a human. destroying the soulstones is like breaking the key to a door. not to say there isn't another key or maybe another door. Makes perfect sense to me.

So that tyreal can be turned into a mortal human by ripping of his wings (how you become a fallen angel)

They never say he's human, just that he is mortal. He's still a Seraph/Angel.

So that tyreal can be turned into a mortal human by ripping of his wings (how you become a fallen angel)

They never say he's human, just that he is mortal. He's still a Seraph/Angel.

This. Tyrael definitely isn't "human" or "nephalim". He's an angel who has made himself mortal. They mention Tyrael as being "one of us" a few times, but that's not completely literal. He is one of us as far as being mortal, but not a human. He's just a special snowflake really.
I think some people are forgetting a simple fact...

This was the plan -all- along. This was Diablo's masterpiece. This was his moment of triumph. Adria was his pawn, but the Lord of Terror is Cunning. Tell me, who had interactions with all 5 Evils in Diablo 2? Asides from us the players? That's right, Diablo. -He- called Andariel and Duriel from Hell to serve him, -he- released his brothers and set them loose upon Sanctuary (well, not Mephisto, but he still caught up with him at any rate).

Adria claimed to have marked the souls of the Lords of Hell, and perhaps she did, but who is to say she had to be present to do so? All we know for certain is that when she did, their souls couldn't return to Hell to recuperate. They were trapped on Sanctuary without a way to return to Hell. Yes, Diablo and Mephisto's Soulstones were destroyed in Hell at the Hellforge, but if Adria or Diablo had already marked the Souls, they'd have gone back to Sanctuary.

It all does make sense, one just has to pay attention to the very minor details and -all- character dialogue and journals and reading materials you come across.
05/18/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Darkcorpse
Yes, diablo did have breasts as well as a feminine walk... Watch the art videos in 'the making of'. They wanted diablo to look like a chick because 'he' came out of a female body this time instead of the dark wanderer.... so really diablo is more of an 'it' than a male or female....

The way I see it is we have never actually seen Diablo's "true form" we have only seen what he looks like after he leaves a vessel. It would make sense then if he took something from that vessel appearance wise.
Alright, sorry but you're completely wrong here, the Overlords were created by the Demons through torture and transfiguration, they corrupted Inarius and the angels who followed him themselves. Tyrael's case is COMPLETELY different, dont see how you could even connect the two at all. Tyrael willingly gave up his place in Heaven and chose to become human, Demons had absolutely nothing to do with his falling from grace, it was his choice. Where as Inarius and his kin were captured and transformed by demons into the Overlords. The Butcher is still one of them, and he still was once an angel, they didn't retcon anything in respect to either of these events.

Retconning the butcher from being an overlord (what happens to fallen angels) to patchwerk

However D2/3 changed the lore that humans were descendants from angel and demon offspring. (so how did he become a human?)

Such that retconning gave them a plot hole because of previous retconning.
I hate fan service

Whyyyy was the butcher in the game? He died back in D1. *ohhh guess what guys! heeere is the butcher!! aha remember him!? yea lets kill him again!"

And Adria was a mistake to begin with. She had her place in D1 and they should've left it at that...

...At least they didnt bring grisworld back...The tried to do a fan service by giving this new backsmith similar accent.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Overlord_(Diablo_I)
i believe i read the game lore that said there are many Butcher demons ... i believe the one we fought in D3 wasn't the same guy in D1
*Spoiler*

Ok, try to follow my train of thought:

In D2, D and M's soulstone gets destroyed. In D2X, B get's destroyed.

So are they banished back in Hell or do their spirits float aimlessly in Sanctuary still?

Cause they have to be in Santuary in order for Adria to gather them right?

But hold up. How is Adria gathering them? With the Black Soulstone!

Wait what, but the Black soulstone isn't finished being built yet (which is a quest in D3 where you finish building it)

So how did 5 Lord of Hell's souls gets into the Black soulstone that was never completed in the first place?

And, assuming Adria had a working black soulstone (what), why the heck does she not have it when we find her and why the heck do we need to (re)build it again in Act 3?

THIS GAME MAKES NO SENSE.
The Blackstone was complete, but we needed Kull to get past the door.
Adria was sending the souls of the Demon Lords to the stone as soon as they died.
SENDING SOULS, not actually taking the soul and slamming the stone and the soul together.
It's not that complicated, in all 3 diablo games the soulstones are nothing more then containers for there souls allowing them to be released through a human. destroying the soulstones is like breaking the key to a door. not to say there isn't another key or maybe another door. Makes perfect sense to me.

Uh... no. Smashing the stone you smash the jail, making the person inside go free. That is exactly how Baal had to be trapped inside Tal Rasha - cause his soulstone was broken. Diablo escaped too because Lazarus was messing up with the stone. Mephisto too escaped in a similar matter - all of the councelors had a shard of Mephisto stone in then, leaving the biggest piece for the dude that embodies him (forgot his name). The only way to truly destroy it (and destroying the person inside as well) is to smash it at the HellForge, a One Ring to Mount Doom sorta thing.
If you ask me Blizz kinda dropped the ball of writing stories ever since WOW was released.
They got BETTER and telling the story, but the stories themselfs are MUCH worse than they used to be :I

Absolutely.
lol Blizz better fix this !@#$
If you read the book of cain you'll find the story makes more sense. Between D1 and D2 Adria and the possessed Aiden made Leah as well as plotted this entire thing. As Aiden summoned the demons and the lesser evils in D2, my take is that he bound their souls to enter the black soulstone after death. Adria being a witch had access to spells like this. I dont think they needed to access the soulstone at all. They just directed where the soul will go after they bite the dust. Kulle designed the blacksoulstone to contain and attune them to angels and demons, so Adria has the advantage there. If you recall, all the evils had contact with Diablo in D2 as he was travelling east. He could have marked their souls then.
Pay attention to books next time. Humans are not the descendants of Angels and Demons (as you somehow think from D3), the NEPHALEM are the descendants of Angels and Humans. You got that all f****d up. The Black soulstone was never being built either, it was always whole, it just needed to be found from Khule as he had it locked up in his archives by way the Horadrim.

Honestly, everyone complaining about the story didn't listen to one single line of dialog in the game or read any kind of canon.
Pay attention to books next time. Humans are not the descendants of Angels and Demons (as you somehow think from D3), the NEPHALEM are the descendants of Angels and Humans. You got that all f****d up. The Black soulstone was never being built either, it was always whole, it just needed to be found from Khule as he had it locked up in his archives by way the Horadrim.

Honestly, everyone complaining about the story didn't listen to one single line of dialog in the game or read any kind of canon.

Really? You are so, so, so wrong. The Nephalem according to Biblical lore is the resultant breeding of Angels and humans - NOT DIABLO lore.

In DIABLO lore: Nephalem certainly are the product of angel/demon breeding. YOU are the one who needs to pay attention and read: Try the Sin War Trilogy for starters.
Not sure if it was mentioned, kind of got tired of reading half way down... When Kulle was resurrected and goes to his archive he finishes the Black Soul stone. Once it is finished the souls are sucked into it (hence the interuption he had before the fight).

And as said above, the souls were banished to the Abyss.
Not sure if it was mentioned, kind of got tired of reading half way down... When Kulle was resurrected and goes to his archive he finishes the Black Soul stone. Once it is finished the souls are sucked into it (hence the interuption he had before the fight).

And as said above, the souls were banished to the Abyss.
It never really explains how the souls were there though...

Did Adria carry them around for 20 years? If not ensnared in a soul stone, why would the 2 lesser evils go along with Diablo's plan? It's conceivable that Mephisto and Baal would go along with the plan, but then again if they were pro-merging why haven't they done it in the millennia prior to the events in D3? It's not conceivable that Andariel and Duriel would go along with the plans, demons are all about themselves afterall.

I think the game actually just tries to retcon all the souls into the black soulstone somehow. And of course they never go into detail because honestly I don't think they know or care how it happened.