Undergeared?

Items and Crafting
Greetings!

I finished Normal on my Monk this weekend and am interested in playing through Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno. I've heard a number of people say that these difficulties are far more punishing if you're 'undergeared' but what does that mean?

What's an appropriate gear level for Nightmare?
What's an appropriate gear level for Hell?
What's an appropriate gear level for Inferno?

How much time should I spend 'farming' each level before moving to the next one?

Any instruction would be appreciated. Please avoid using acronyms/jargon as I won't understand them.
There is no formula undortunetly. Your just going to have to jump inot nightmare and if its to hard go back and farm.

The reason i cant be like "The avg item lvl should be X in order for success" is because a low lvl item that u get could have high stats due to randomess and be comparebale or even better to higher level items.

Likewise a high level item can have really low and worthless stats. Its best to just feel it on your own.

For me nightmare was no problem at all. I didnt have to go and farm Normal, and the same goes for hell. I must have been lucky. My adive if u are having a tough time with nightmare is to repeat all of act 4 on normal(not just diablo runs) until u can tackle act 1 of nightmare.
There is no formula undortunetly. Your just going to have to jump inot nightmare and if its to hard go back and farm.

This is it. Just keep progressing onward. When you suddenly hit an area in which you are taking much more damage or taking much longer to kill the monsters, then you probably need to improve your gear.

Also, don't neglect experimenting with new skills, runes, and passives. Sometimes just switching in an extra Passive ability focused on defense or healing can make an enormous difference.

Remember to upgrade your followers' gear as well from time to time. I've hit nightmare and suddenly noticed that my scoundrel was wearing a level 11 +xp amulet that I gave him upon his initial recruitment.